Official Apple Thread (Apple iPhone Event) II

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I'm still using a paid off 6, so maybe that's why? I just checked again and I'm seeing $33.34 (30 mos)

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I'm not a part of the iPhone upgrade program, so that will probably cost me getting one on launch day

Going to be quite the show, everyone is holding out to get the X

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
For a while I assumed I was going to upgrade from an iPhone 6s to the iPhone 8, however that decision has changed. Instead I'm going to get an iPhone 8 Plus and I will be doing that this coming Saturday morning at the Apple Store when they open. Anyway for those who have any of the Plus versions of the iPhone how was the adjustment to the bigger screen and having it in your pocket when walking around if you were not using it?

One good thing about this I read on the Apple site is that I can get a $240 credit applied to the purchase of the 8 Plus by trading in my 6s. I previously did that when I went from the iPhone 5 to the iPhone 6s.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
If I can't get a reasonable ship date for an X (the end of this year), I will pull the trigger on the 8 Plus and have it by this weekend

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Ordered within 5 minutes of going live . ATT had me in some waiting room and then Apple freed up. Only strange thing is I put $200 down so my bill would stay down and now it says I can upgrade after 8 months.... Maybe I can get some of that back because it makes no sense. lol

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I got my 256gb space gray X with the iPhone upgrade program off the Apple store app no issue

Will be delivered next Friday

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I’m thinking there’s going to be an X Plus model next year, and I’ll hold out for that. The X sounds like it has the same width as the 8, with the same display programming structure, just higher resolution. It’s not a true Plus replacement. Perhaps the X drops $150 in price next fall and the X Plus debuts at the same prices that the X is at present.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I’m thinking there’s going to be an X Plus model next year, and I’ll hold out for that. The X sounds like it has the same width as the 8, with the same display programming structure, just higher resolution. It’s not a true Plus replacement. Perhaps the X drops $150 in price next fall and the X Plus debuts at the same prices that the X is at present.
It most certainly is a Plus replacement. It's a 5.8" display compared to the Plus's 5.5" display. The X has a smaller body. There isn't going to be an X Plus -- or at least, there shouldn't be.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It most certainly is a Plus replacement. It's a 5.8" display compared to the Plus's 5.5" display. The X has a smaller body. There isn't going to be an X Plus -- or at least, there shouldn't be.
I thought the reason for the X having a 5.8 display is because there is no home button compared to the Plus model.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I thought the reason for the X having a 5.8 display is because there is no home button compared to the Plus model.
Exactly. It’s bezelless. If Apple has it its way they will get the required interface under the screen (Touch ID too) for the next iteration or the gestures will stick. But that wasn’t what the previous poster was asking I believe.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

The iPhone X’s screen width is the same as the iPhone 8’s, correct? Just a taller display into a slightly larger frame?

Exactly the same strategy that Samsung used in going from the S7 to the S8.

Samsung also went from the larger S7 Edge to the larger S8+. I’m suggesting that Apple will follow suit with their Plus models. It’s not out of the question at all.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
so its pretty much an s8 clone but not as pretty. interesting. Think the GF is going to upgrade to it, wouldn't mind taking it for a tour.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Samsung also went from the larger S7 Edge to the larger S8+. I’m suggesting that Apple will follow suit with their Plus models. It’s not out of the question at all.
This is a little off topic but do you know of the Samsung Galaxy S5 is comparable in size to the iPhone 8 Plus? My Mom has an S5 and I think it's comparable because I put it my pocket to see what it's like when I sit down with it in there. Since I'm getting the 8 Plus tomorrow I want to know how it might be ahead of time.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The iPhone X’s screen width is the same as the iPhone 8’s, correct? Just a taller display into a slightly larger frame?

Exactly the same strategy that Samsung used in going from the S7 to the S8.

Apple’s is right in the middle of the two Samsung sizes. Apple going with a Plus model on an already big device would be pushing into 6” territory and I don’t think Apple has much interest in that, especially considering the manufacturing issues they’ve had with this size.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
This is a little off topic but do you know of the Samsung Galaxy S5 is comparable in size to the iPhone 8 Plus? My Mom has an S5 and I think it's comparable because I put it my pocket to see what it's like when I sit down with it in there. Since I'm getting the 8 Plus tomorrow I want to know how it might be ahead of time.
The 8 Plus is taller by about half an inch. Only a worry if you have designer jeans with tiny pockets.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I’ve heard from apple employees I am friends with that Touch ID is being abandoned completely.

I disagree with it, especially if they can get it to work under the glass, but that is what I e heard

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm proud to say that I'm now officially an owner of an iPhone 8 Plus. I got the Apple Store when they opened at 9:30 AM and the service was great when going through my phone plan with Bell and everything else. Now there was a minor problem with my Apple ID password because I had to reset it twice with a new password so the iCloud backup would work for all my pictures and apps. However that finally got fixed. As for the phone itself so far it's great. The one thing I need to get use to is pressing the home button so I can type in my 4 digit password when unlocking it, although I'm sure I will get use to that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad