Official Apple Thread (Apple iPhone Event) II

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Reports of iPhone 8 Plus splitting during a charge due to swollen batteries, and someone receiving their phone in the same state: split.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Reports of iPhone 8 Plus splitting during a charge due to swollen batteries, and someone receiving their phone in the same state: split.
The nice thing is that an exchange is a simple trip to an Apple Store away. They wouldn’t even blink. Those Note 7 buyers went through a lot of bs.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
So I have an iPhone 6s that I love. That being said recently I have been dropping off on calls ALOT. Now if it was in the same area I’d be concerned but this is different locations and it’s always me ( I’ll go from full bars to nothing). I’ll sometimes be going past an area where I lost it before and won’t. I used to work in telecommunications working on cell towers so I know how that all works, so if it was antenna direction or strength it would be more consistent in the lost areas. Could this be my phone?

It could be, your carrier would suggest resetting or updating your network settings. It's also possible the phone's antenna is somehow damaged.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
So I have an iPhone 6s that I love. That being said recently I have been dropping off on calls ALOT. Now if it was in the same area I’d be concerned but this is different locations and it’s always me ( I’ll go from full bars to nothing). I’ll sometimes be going past an area where I lost it before and won’t. I used to work in telecommunications working on cell towers so I know how that all works, so if it was antenna direction or strength it would be more consistent in the lost areas. Could this be my phone?
I would take it to the Apple store to run diagnostics. Could just be a reset that’s needed, or as mentioned, a damaged antenna. But an Apple store would be able to verify.

Reactions: Supermassive

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I've been considering getting the PowerBeats 3 for a while now, but I'm seriously leaning towards AirPods lately.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Go AirPods. I don’t shill for Apple products, but these things are phenomenal.
Yeah I used to be hesitant because I'd be worried about losing one and me not realizing it, but then I remembered that the music simply stops if one AirPod comes out.

The buds that came with my iPhone are starting to rattle and the right one is feeling a bit damaged, static audio comes out at times, so those are dying. It's the signal to move to bluetooth.

I still do consider the PowerBeats 3, though, because the main use is gym use.

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Yeah I used to be hesitant because I'd be worried about losing one and me not realizing it, but then I remembered that the music simply stops if one AirPod comes out.

The buds that came with my iPhone are starting to rattle and the right one is feeling a bit damaged, static audio comes out at times, so those are dying. It's the signal to move to bluetooth.

I love my solo 3's. They give you some added bass, comfortable and last forever on a charge.

Last edited:

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I despise all earbuds. Sticking things in my ears is always uncomfortable, and they always fall out. And get gross as hell.

I’m sticking with on-ear or over-ear models from now on.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

The only way I’ve knocked the AirPods out of my ears is by physically knocking them out with my hands by accident. They do stick in there pretty well.

My main use is casual listening on the go and before sleep, and the portability is nice. I absolutely loathe cords, especially around my neck. These buds are freeing.

I also have a habit of using only one bud (which defaults to mono sound - it’s genius) when I am around others, especially my wife, or at work and need to be alert for calls or announcements. I can listen to music or podcasts all day and not miss anything.

It’s all the different use cases where AirPods are superior to corded Bluetooth buds, or Bluetooth cans, that make me love them.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
How does one work if you're on the phone. Is the mic good?
Works as well as having both in. Each pod has a mic. I have found that talking over Bluetooth introduces a small lag, and these aren’t any different than other Bluetooth buds. But the sound volume and quality is still good. I’m using a 6 Plus, so perhaps an 8/8+/X would be less lag? But overall it’s solid.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Thanks everyone. Definitly considering it. Otherwise my 6s is awesome and I haven’t had a problem since. I can upgrade atm, but thinking if next season, if the IPhone XI improves on everything from the X (or stabilizes or however you want to talk about a 2nd gen X), that would be something that would interest me.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I wish I had done some research before upgrading to IOS 11. It's completely tanked my iPad. Everything's slower, apps crash more often, and the battery drains much faster.

Reactions: Breakdowns

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Anyone else getting a moment of static through the speaker when switching apps or performing tasks while listening to music? Wondering if the new OS version has a nasty bug, or if my phone is on its last legs.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
The sooner they release IOS 12 the better. IOS 11 is making me think about going to Android phones.

Well, with Android, you won't really have to worry about updates, as you may not ever get them. Something like 0.2% of Android users are on Oreo.

Notifications in Android do shit all over iOS though. I'm thinking about what phone to get next year, and not sure if I could tolerate those badge notifications and ungrouped notification stacks, but on the other, I can't potentially pay iPhone prices, and only get 2 years of OS updates, 3 years of security updates anymore. Mid-tier Android phones tend to be a minefield of crap to good, but you're sort of at the mercy of XDA devs supplying your ROMs and updates.

Thinking of XDA, I should go check if someone has ported Oreo to the Touchpad...

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Well, with Android, you won't really have to worry about updates, as you may not ever get them. Something like 0.2% of Android users are on Oreo.

Notifications in Android do **** all over iOS though. I'm thinking about what phone to get next year, and not sure if I could tolerate those badge notifications and ungrouped notification stacks, but on the other, I can't potentially pay iPhone prices, and only get 2 years of OS updates, 3 years of security updates anymore. Mid-tier Android phones tend to be a minefield of crap to good, but you're sort of at the mercy of XDA devs supplying your ROMs and updates.

Thinking of XDA, I should go check if someone has ported Oreo to the Touchpad...

It's about the quality of the update for me, not really quantity. The notification thing is really ticking me off. How disorganized notifications are (When they were great in IOS 7) and how you can't even delete all of them because of the stupid earlier today section.

Also, I had an Android phone before I got the Iphone 5s (This was years ago) and I liked the flexibility well enough. My issue with apple is they seem to be focusing more of substance and "kewlness" rather than functionality. Some of the most basic of things don't work, and they have made Ratings and Reviews (Which I look at mainly for Apps and Podcasts) meaningless because you can't sort them and the way they are sorted the first one you see was probably done 9 years ago.

I'm not trying to be an Apple hater either (And honestly the whole thing now is just as dumb as Star Trek vs. Star Wars) but it feels like with each IOS update, they make it less user friendly and that is a turn off.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Notifications in Android do **** all over iOS though. I'm thinking about what phone to get next year, and not sure if I could tolerate those badge notifications and ungrouped notification stacks, but on the other, I can't potentially pay iPhone prices, and only get 2 years of OS updates, 3 years of security updates anymore. Mid-tier Android phones tend to be a minefield of crap to good, but you're sort of at the mercy of XDA devs supplying your ROMs and updates.

You don't have to update to the new OS, people tend to because of various new features but it's best to wait until the .1 and .2 versions. I used to be on Apple's beta program - never again.

Notifications - 90% of them on mine are turned off. There is only five I really care about.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad