Official 2018 IIHF World Championship Thread

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
He was there against Slovakia too, made some surprising offensive moves. WTF on skates

Anyway, interesting drops of information from Czech coaching staff, they admitted that after the inital rejection by Voráček they stayed in contact for a few days and kept asking him if he comes. Pastrňák and Krejčí coming over were also a motive behind that - head coach Jandač wanted to play a Pastrňák, Krejčí, Voráček line

source

kudymen

Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Gudas looking better and better each passing game, surprisingly steady against the Russians tonight. Not a typical 1D for a national team, let alone on big ice, but he looks fine. Far away from Manning :)

Btw Nečas... would kill to have him in our prospect pool, but his defensive play is bad this tourney, Jeff Hakstol would crufcify him - and then bench him. And then sit him in the pressbox.

Former almost Flyers superstar, Tomáš Hyka, has a quiet tournament, works hard but doesnt have that much to show for it.

Reactions: JPS

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Gudas looking better and better each passing game, surprisingly steady against the Russians tonight. Not a typical 1D for a national team, let alone on big ice, but he looks fine. Far away from Manning :)

Btw Nečas... would kill to have him in our prospect pool, but his defensive play is bad this tourney, Jeff Hakstol would crufcify him - and then bench him. And then sit him in the pressbox.

Former almost Flyers superstar, Tomáš Hyka, has a quiet tournament, works hard but doesnt have that much to show for it.

Gudas looks good again away from Meatpig? How about that.

Reactions: CodyTheHuman

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

He at center?

TRAAAAAAADE HIM NOWWWWW DID YOU EVEN SEE GAME 6 BRO MORE HAGG AND AMAC.

Reactions: CodyTheHuman

kudymen

Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)

I will still have to watch a few tapes, CZE against Belarus, Austria and France, but I am slowly willing to admit that even not playing with often TOI leader Brandon Boxcar may lead to something good.

He at center?

He did, during the first 30 minutes he usually took faceoffs too (btw got sent away from the circle by the linesman a lot during the first few games) - but his line made some lazy plays on two Russian goals and iirc he started to take a bit less faceoffs, got replaced by Plekanec too but still stayed on the 4th center. My memories of that are a little fuzzy, so if any lurker wants to correct me..

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57

kudymen

Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Gudas also had ice time quite limited yesterday due to injury suspicion, however he was just exhausted - today against Belarus he is fine again.

RE yesterday's Nečas discussion, he is at C again, 2C with almostFlyer Hyka

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Nick Bonino takes the last roster spot for the US.

Atkinson - Bonino - Kane
Lee - Larkin - Gaudreau
Kreider - Ryan - DeBrincat
Coleman - White - Gibbons
Thompson
Milano

Martinez - McAvoy
Butcher - Murphy
Jensen - Pionk
Hughes
Oesterle

Kincaid
Darling
Lindgren

Not terrible for their standards.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
He did, during the first 30 minutes he usually took faceoffs too (btw got sent away from the circle by the linesman a lot during the first few games) - but his line made some lazy plays on two Russian goals and iirc he started to take a bit less faceoffs, got replaced by Plekanec too but still stayed on the 4th center. My memories of that are a little fuzzy, so if any lurker wants to correct me..

Reading what you said I was curious because I'm still not totally sure if he'll end up at -- or rather would be BEST at -- wing or center in the NHL. I was a big fan of him last year and had him at 7/8, and he's obviously a riser this year, but his defense was always a sticking point for me at center. He's very aggressive and energetic and would chase a lot in coverages.

kudymen

Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Reading what you said I was curious because I'm still not totally sure if he'll end up at -- or rather would be BEST at -- wing or center in the NHL. I was a big fan of him last year and had him at 7/8, and he's obviously a riser this year, but his defense was always a sticking point for me at center. He's very aggressive and energetic and would chase a lot in coverages.

Exactly, there is a lot to like about his play, but some things regarding his C future are a bit questionable (in the NHL that is). Love the energy and aggressiveness but then again.. He has been sent off the face off in the first period already again. Might be just nervous, I dont know - its just a short tournament and my views of him in Extraliga are limited. So far he fares better against the Belarussians compared to the Russians yesterday, but not sure if that is indicative of anything considering the quality difference. Also, might be just his baby face but only looking at him I feel like he needs to add quite a lot of muscle to be a good TOP6 C in such physically demanding league.

I dig his PP presence in this tourney though, very creative.

Reactions: Magua

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Exactly, there is a lot to like about his play, but some things regarding his C future are a bit questionable (in the NHL that is). Love the energy and aggressiveness but then again.. He has been sent off the face off in the first period already again. Might be just nervous, I dont know - its just a short tournament and my views of him in Extraliga are limited. So far he fares better against the Belarussians compared to the Russians yesterday, but not sure if that is indicative of anything considering the quality difference. Also, might be just his baby face but only looking at him I feel like he needs to add quite a lot of muscle to be a good TOP6 C in such physically demanding league.

I dig his PP presence in this tourney though, very creative.

I think a lot of centers won't be NHL centers though. It's my shtick. I watched him in Extraliga last season, but a skinny 18 year old against men, especially in the playoffs which were my main watches, it's hard to tell if he's just immature/amped up or maybe not really a projectable center. Like I thought Chytil in the same league played a better center.

Wing Necas would still be awesome though. He has some bigger Giroux (credit Craig Button) qualities offensively: mannerisms, skill, TEN-A-CITY. He just doesn't seem to always know when to dial down the motor and play slower.

kudymen

Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I think a lot of centers won't be NHL centers though. It's my shtick. I watched him in Extraliga last season, but a skinny 18 year old against men, especially in the playoffs which were my main watches, it's hard to tell if he's just immature/amped up or maybe not really a projectable center. Like I thought Chytil in the same league played a better center.

Wing Necas would still be awesome though. He has some bigger Giroux (credit Craig Button) qualities offensively: mannerisms, skill, TEN-A-CITY. He just doesn't seem to always know when to dial down the motor and play slower.

I was thinking the same during the U20s last December, although yes, I felt like that towards the whole Czech U20 - felt like he needs to grow up to calm down. Seeing it just half a year later I still hope its just a maturity thing, but as you said - even if he ends up a winger, he could still do wonders.

I just heard the announcer say "Sushko", I have to admit not very noticeable during the first 20. Havent seen him on the puck, but then again the shots are 17:7 CZE just 25 minutes in.

kudymen

Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Just looking at the replays, the Koreans look so tiny, certainly wouldnt get Hatcher's seal of approval

kudymen

Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
They’re god awful. At least the Latvia’s of the world can play an ugly bunker down style to keep it respectable from time to time.

Them holding us to a 1:2 score in the Olympics was one of the more frustrating things even for a Flyers fan during a Jeff Hakstok season. Especially because they really suck as you said, as opposed to the regular tier 3 teams

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Them holding us to a 1:2 score in the Olympics was one of the more frustrating things even for a Flyers fan during a Jeff Hakstok season

:laugh:

Ferraro just said he hasn’t seen a team as bad as them at this tournament in quite some time. Miller brought up Slovenia back in 2005.

Their entire roster play in leagues in South Korea. They don’t have a single player that plays in the KHL, SHL, NLA, DEL, FEL, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad