Official 2018 IIHF World Championship Thread

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
That is an incredibly GIFable moment lol

Hampus Lindholm doing a "glitter-angel" was pretty awesome too. Got to be a GIF somewhere.

Speaking of Lindholm. Jeeez that defense.

Probably the best defense I have seen at a Worlds for years.

Ekman-Larsson - Larsson
Lindholm - Klingberg
Ekholm - Wikstrand

Unreal.

That is 3x NHL #1 Dmen (OEL, Lindholm, Klingberg) and 2x #3 Dmen (Ekholm and Larsson). Plus Wikstrand would probably be a ~#4 if he was in the NHL.

Wikstrand would actually be an interesting option for the Flyers. Trade for his rights from Ottawa.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Hampus Lindholm doing a "glitter-angel" was pretty awesome too. Got to be a GIF somewhere.

Speaking of Lindholm. Jeeez that defense.

Probably the best defense I have seen at a Worlds for years.

Ekman-Larsson - Larsson
Lindholm - Klingberg
Ekholm - Wikstrand

Unreal.

That is 3x NHL #1 Dmen (OEL, Lindholm, Klingberg) and 2x #3 Dmen (Ekholm and Larsson). Plus Wikstrand would probably be a ~#4 if he was in the NHL.

Wikstrand would actually be an interesting option for the Flyers. Trade for his rights from Ottawa.
Why would they do that? Or was there some drama between him and the club too?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Why would they do that? Or was there some drama between him and the club too?

Big, big drama.

Bryan Murray told him to "go home and be a grocery clerk and play in a beer league" and at one point the Sens seemed to a actively be trying to not let him play hockey... making it impossible for him to play for ~4 months, suspended him and refused to loan him to a Swedish club.

When he left to go back to Sweden halfway through training camp to be with his brother who has Leukemia and at that point was not very well (he has stabilised since.)

Wikstrand himself said he handled it all poorly though...

“I’m really sorry about that. I should have brought it up in a more professional way and told them why I wanted to play back home. But I’m a guy who likes to keep things to myself, keep them in the family.”

But even after he said this they still basically stopped him playing for ~3 months. He released the news a few weeks after being back in Sweden in October and the Sens did not give him a loan anywhere until January. And lets be honest... the Sens have a pretty poor track record in terms of player-management relationships recently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad