Observations XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
The Neil goal, Josi blocked the shot but the puck went straight across onto Neil's stick. It looked to me like the other defender (Ekholm?) was in position to clear a rebound before Neil could get to it, but wasn't anticipating the puck coming across the ice because Josi had that cut off. So, a lucky bounce for Vegas turns into a goal.

that was sissons after a switch and he got caught watching the puck and breaking toward Rinne leaving the passing lane (and therefore the bad luck deflection lane) and Neal standiing open as well. Just a random bad luck play all the way around.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
frustrating to watch so many central wins since we last won a game.

Yes it is- I watch a lot of Center Ice and always try to watch Central division games, and I am on quite a streak lately of the team I am rooting for in a given game losing.

Looked it up and over the past 3 days, the Central Division is a combined 10-1-1. Yuck.

This division is just going to be brutal the rest of the way.......

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
frustrating to watch so many central wins since we last won a game.
I really don't understand this long break here. We have another one in a month and it's not like we have played that many more games than anyone. Now we are behind on the schedule and will have to make that up later when others get rest.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Good for a late season run with hopefully a full roster of healthy players, something we've not had all season. Can't imagine many teams happy to see the Preds with games in hand come March.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Good for a late season run with hopefully a full roster of healthy players, something we've not had all season. Can't imagine many teams happy to see the Preds with games in hand come March.
My argument has been and always will be that having games in hand can be good, but you have to win those games otherwise it doesn't matter.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
with our current injury sitaution with Johansen, Hartnell and Ellis all getting closer dialy (we hope), this week long lag of games is no doubt in our favor along those lines. But the fan in me sure hates it anyway. lol.

It would have felt much different if we had been struggling heading into this, but you always hate layoffs when everything has been really clicking. Part of the reason i actually blame for our less than inspired performance against Vegas the other night. So many times over the years i have watched a team of mine come back from a long break playing exactly the opposite of how they were playing before the break that this western candian swing scares me.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
I really don't understand this long break here. We have another one in a month and it's not like we have played that many more games than anyone. Now we are behind on the schedule and will have to make that up later when others get rest.

Yeah I looked at the schedule, and it is relatively favorable in January and February too. But after that, it gets crazy. 16 games in March, 4 in the first week of April... That's 20 games in 38 days.

Not sure I like a schedule like that, they might be exhausted when playoffs start. I guess they can give 1 or 2 games off to all the top players here and there. But you still want to be at the top of your game before playoffs start, and you want to keep home-ice advantage.

Maybe the other teams are in similar situations though, I haven't checked.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
i know the Admirals are struggling along with a 12-11 record after a hot start, but Saros record down there of 1-4 with 3.80 gaa and .872 save percentage doesn't really inspire confidence that getting 'playing time' in the AHL is working out that well for his confidence. Or mine.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
i know the Admirals are struggling along with a 12-11 record after a hot start, but Saros record down there of 1-4 with 3.80 gaa and .872 save percentage doesn't really inspire confidence that getting 'playing time' in the AHL is working out that well for his confidence. Or mine.
Doesn't seem like it hurt him in his last NHL start. I think just the playing time alone is helping him not be so rusty up here.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com

A lot of Admirals people I keep up with are growing pretty disillusioned with the coaching staff there, but organization seems to think highly of Dean Evason(former teammate of Paul Fenton, so maybe some nepotism there)

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
A lot of Admirals people I keep up with are growing pretty disillusioned with the coaching staff there, but organization seems to think highly of Dean Evason(former teammate of Paul Fenton, so maybe some nepotism there)

The Admirals had been pretty darn good the last few years, right? I mean, I don't follow them closely but if you can be pretty good but have a drop-off, is that really a reason for discontent? Especially since a lot of your success is dictated by how healthy the big club stays (i.e. completely out of your control).

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
The Admirals had been pretty darn good the last few years, right? I mean, I don't follow them closely but if you can be pretty good but have a drop-off, is that really a reason for discontent? Especially since a lot of your success is dictated by how healthy the big club stays (i.e. completely out of your control).

They've been swept in the first round in back to back years.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
What kind of lines could we see with both of them back?

Forsberg - Johansen - Arvidsson
Fiala - Turris - Smith
Bonino - Jarnkrok - Aberg
Hartnell - Sissons - Watson

Only because in Johansen's absense, it seemed like we saw a bit of Forsberg - Jarnkrok - Aberg and whether it was Forsberg's presence or not, the tandem of Jarnkrok and Aberg at C and RW seemed to have some bit of success together, even if a relatively small amount. And Bonino has shown almost no playmaking ability this year so why not try him on the wing for a bit?

I'd give that line a very short leash and if they go a game without chipping in a goal or at least producing an unusual amount of offensive pressure then switch up the bottom-6 to:
Hartnell - Bonino - Jarnkrok
Salomaki - Sissons - Watson

and roll with that for a couple of games, but I'd still continue to keep all of the 7-14 forwards in a blender to keep things fresh unless one combination happens to catch fire.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I might try a bottom six of:
Jarnkrok-Bonino-Aberg
Hartnell-Sissons-Watson

Bonino and Hartnell both seem to have most of their success in tight to the net. Aberg and Jarnkrok can get the puck to the front of the net for Bonino, while Hartnell can play a cycle game and get to the front of the net with Sissons and Watson.

...so, basically yours, but I leave Bonino at center.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
well then, looks like Lavy agrees mostly, except he also liked Forsberg on that Jarnkrok line.

I'd wager that it doesn't last long though, if these lines haven't scored 2-3 goals in the first period I imagine JoFA will be back together in the second.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Might be a deal where Lavi is trying to ease Joey and Hartnell back in with fewer minutes. Also could be trying to see what happens with Joey and Arvy mismatched against some weaker lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad