Observations XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
to be completely honest I beleive you could put McLeod on the other wing from Forsberg every night and i think McLeod would score 25-30 points almost by accident.
i believe you are right. his play last night was great. he doesn't fit with aberg and jarnkrok. he needs to be with johansen and arvy.

we have enough talent to spread it out with turris and joey line together. forsberg is our best and most talented forward we've ever had in our franchise history in his prime. i don't expect him to be w/ jarnkrok and aberg much longer. maybe jarnkrok but sure as hell not aberg. guy just isn't good. i prefer jarnkrok on the wing so its a killing 2 birds with 1 stone kind of thing.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I don't doubt that Forsberg can, and currently is carrying his line.

...but for the sake of conversation. Is there a sneaky acquisition that we could make for a veteran winger? Aberg hasn't shown much, and that line could be that much more effective with a winger who has a strong possession game and the ability to maintain a cycle in the offensive zone...I am not even asking for a "goal scorer" to be honest.

Does Aberg and a pick that isn't our 1st get us much of an upgrade over Aberg right now. I wouldn't want it to be a deadline deal. In a perfect world this is something that happens sooner rather than later. I get the "if it ain't broke" mentality, and as a whole it "ain't broke" but as an individual Aberg needs to be fixed.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I don't doubt that Forsberg can, and currently is carrying his line.

...but for the sake of conversation. Is there a sneaky acquisition that we could make for a veteran winger? .

Well, speaking of that, I saw that Eklund tweeted out today that Preds and Canadiens were both seriously in on Evander Kane. Of course you have to take anything from him with a huge grain of salt, but I do think it is pretty unlikely he just made that up out of thin air. Where there is smoke there is usually fire.

It is just hard for me to believe we would give up anything substantial for him.

I know he has some off ice issues, but I do think hockey-wise Kane would be a pretty darn good fit for this team.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Well, speaking of that, I saw that Eklund tweeted out today that Preds and Canadiens were both seriously in on Evander Kane. Of course you have to take anything from him with a huge grain of salt, but I do think it is pretty unlikely he just made that up out of thin air. Where there is smoke there is usually fire.

It is just hard for me to believe we would give up anything substantial for him.

I know he has some off ice issues, but I do think hockey-wise Kane would be a pretty darn good fit for this team.

This is absolutely NOT the type of deal I was referring to because I assume Kane will be quite expensive. However, if you are telling me that Poile is going to try to go get E. Kane to put on FF9's wing then I'm not sure you could wipe the smile off my face.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

Just no. The way this team is going right now, I don't see any need in potentially ruining a good thing.

Reactions: TitansVolsPreds615

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Just no. The way this team is going right now, I don't see any need in potentially ruining a good thing.

I pretty much agree. But I am not going to lie- adding a guy like Kane to our forward mix is VERY intriguing. To me it would be short sighted by any GM to just dismiss a possible deal just because things are currently going well. It is not a guarantee that adding a good forward would mess anything up any more than it would be a guarantee to work.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I pretty much agree. But I am not going to lie- adding a guy like Kane to our forward mix is VERY intriguing. To me it would be short sighted by any GM to just dismiss a possible deal just because things are currently going well. It is not a guarantee that adding a good forward would mess anything up any more than it would be a guarantee to work.

The problem is he has the history of being a locker room cancer. I'd rather look at other options if we were going to add someone. He may have cleaned his act up now, but I just don't trust him.

Reactions: wadesworld

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
This past summer, I'd probably have been on board with an E. Kane pick up. Right now i'd definitely say no way to it, don't mess up the good thing that we've got going. We're still going to get Hartnell back up to speed and add in Ellis at some point. We're scratching two wingers as it is, let McLeod, Salomaki and Aberg push each other for that last spot and if you can get a pick at some point for Aberg then do it because we can always bring Gaudreau up if needed and he's more versatile than any of them.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I think it takes a 1st and one of our better D prospects to get Kane so I don't think it happens.

I will say I really liked the lines last night, and think we could have 4 legitimate lines if we find an upgrade for Aberg. The bottom line as played last night is really good, and Hartnell will probably be better playing those minutes than trying to play heavy minutes up and down the ice with Forsberg. If that stays true, then Aberg is our only realistic option to play on the wing with Forsberg. The problem is Aberg is a passenger on that line, hell he has been on any line thus far. I hardly notice him unless he is spoon fed the puck. I know that people are hard on him myself included, and I hope he gets things going, but in the mean time we have a chance to take this thing to the next level and be pretty special.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I still think Forsberg will end up back with Johansen and Arvidsson before much longer. But if they're determined to spread out the offense (and I can't really argue that it seemed to work last night, albeit against a team playing like a tire fire) I'd try:

Fiala-Turris-Smith (please don't touch this line)
Jarnkrok-Bonino-Forsberg
Hartnell-Johansen-Arvidsson
Salomaki/Aberg-Sissons-Watson

I think Bonino's nose for the net might work well with Forsberg. And it shifts Jarnkrok to the wing where he has a pretty good track record. It also moves Aberg to a scratch or fourth-line role.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I still think Forsberg will end up back with Johansen and Arvidsson before much longer. But if they're determined to spread out the offense (and I can't really argue that it seemed to work last night, albeit against a team playing like a tire fire) I'd try:

Fiala-Turris-Smith (please don't touch this line)
Jarnkrok-Bonino-Forsberg
Hartnell-Johansen-Arvidsson
Salomaki/Aberg-Sissons-Watson

I think Bonino's nose for the net might work well with Forsberg. And it shifts Jarnkrok to the wing where he has a pretty good track record. It also moves Aberg to a scratch or fourth-line role.

I agree with this. The 2 players that I thought most described what I think Forsberg needs (aside from an another elite player and thinking in the vein of complimentary piece) would be Bonino and crazy as it sounds Watson. I think both would help drive possession when paired with Forsberg which wouldn't be a bad thing, and I think both have enough speed while still being bigger bodies that can bang around the net.

...but lets be honest. If Forsberg were to be paired with Jarnkrok and Watson, people would lose their shit on here. That leaves Bonino Bonino Bonino!

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
In the #Preds last 5 games:
Kevin Fiala - 4 goals, 7 points
Kyle Turris - 1 goal, 8 points
Craig Smith - 3 goals, 5 points
Total - 8 goals, 20 points

from @mpatrickg5 's twitter. Dear God. As fans, there was a movement for Duchene but Turris is Fiala's turd polish, hell he's Smith's turd polish! Just these 5 games the STFu line (Smith-Turris-Fiala) has put Smith and Fiala in the top 10 on the team in scoring. Does this mean the JOFA line is the 2nd line now?

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
I know us playing this well is pretty heady stuff right now. Remember, you're not really as bad as you look when you are losing, and you're not really as good as you look when you're winning. Keep your head on during these type of runs because soon we will have a stretch of games where we cann't score or cann't stop the puck.

The league average for goalies is about a .916 save percentage or so. The league average save percentage for high danger shots is 53% right now. Currently Rinne is at a .927 overall, and at 73% on high danger chances (per most advanced stat sites). To put that in more perspective, if Rinne had league average numbers in both those stats we would have allowed about 14 more goals than we have. If we had allowed 14 more goals we would probably have at least 4 more losses, so 15-11-4 instead of 19-7-4. Maybe much worse depending on when those 14 goals happened. Just so we don't forget despite all this new scoring that without Rinne playing so well we wouldn't be in the position we are now.

Aardvarksson

gif spammer
Apr 21, 2017
Nashville
In the #Preds last 5 games:
Kevin Fiala - 4 goals, 7 points
Kyle Turris - 1 goal, 8 points
Craig Smith - 3 goals, 5 points
Total - 8 goals, 20 points

from @mpatrickg5 's twitter. Dear God. As fans, there was a movement for Duchene but Turris is Fiala's turd polish, hell he's Smith's turd polish! Just these 5 games the **** line (Smith-Turris-Fiala) has put Smith and Fiala in the top 10 on the team in scoring. Does this mean the JOFA line is the 2nd line now?

9bd.gif

Someone send the Sens a gift basket

Reactions: JustaFinnishGuy

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Although Saros will most likely start tonight the internet tells me Rinne is on a 9-0 run against the Oilers with 3 SO. I'm guessing Edmonton will be relieved to not see Rinne in goal.

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
Kudos to the Preds for the nice Christmas present this year - cool throw blanket, guitar pick logo sticker and 7th Man Christmas card. Nice little surprise when I got home today.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Kudos to the Preds for the nice Christmas present this year - cool throw blanket, guitar pick logo sticker and 7th Man Christmas card. Nice little surprise when I got home today.

Yep- very nice. We got ours over a week ago, wonder why you are just now getting it.....

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
Who knows, maybe it's by name? What I do know however is that I'm 86 days in waiting for my stitched Forsberg to arrive back. I ordered a stitched Ekholm two days prior and received that one over three weeks ago. I think they lost the Forsberg order/sweater or something? Going to visit them during Tuesday's game to see if they can shed some light.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Yep- very nice. We got ours over a week ago, wonder why you are just now getting it.....
I haven't gotten mine. I only found out about it yesterday. I contacted my rep and about it today and she said it was sent and I should have received it last week. Likely it was stolen if that is the case. I live in an apartment and there is a reason I don't have stuff shipped here. If I order stuff online, I always have it shipped to my mom's since my step father is home all day every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad