Observations XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
As much as I'd like to see Housley remain and teach Girard, Fabbro etc a thing or two, I too believe he's as good as gone.

That part stinks, but the Preds developed plenty of very good (or better) D-men before him and I imagine they will continue to do so after. I actually think this may be a good thing, at least for the next season or two, if handled correctly. It's a chance to get someone that can run a power play and 3-on-3 better.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Anyone see the blurb from Poile regarding injuries- said that we may have “one guy that might be a little late getting to training campâ€.

Apparently talking about Ryan Ellis. His injury has not been disclosed anywhere that I have seen, but supposedly he will have to have some kind of surgery.

Ugghh- that does not sound good if he won’t even be ready 4 months from now. Hopefully it is at least something he can fully recover from.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
Anyone see the blurb from Poile regarding injuries- said that we may have “one guy that might be a little late getting to training campâ€.

Apparently talking about Ryan Ellis. His injury has not been disclosed anywhere that I have seen, but supposedly he will have to have some kind of surgery.

Ugghh- that does not sound good if he won’t even be ready 4 months from now. Hopefully it is at least something he can fully recover from.

Looked to me like they were looking at his lower back in Game 5 when he came off the ice. Hopefully, it doesn't become a Sully situation.:(

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017

Training camp is 3 months out, regular season is about 4 months away.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I think its interesting how much money they attribute to CMA fest which occurred sandwiched around Preds SCF games. I think that is misleading.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
wow... playing all the way into June sure does shorten the summer... pretty awesome that there will be so little down time, given how excited we should all be about next year.
That hit me somewhere around game 3 or 4. I see it as a blessing and a curse.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
God dammit NHL, I got my slot car track all set up and ready to play with my ****ing cars but then trades are happening, coaches are getting promoted and the next thing ya know it's gonna be the ****ing draft!

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I've spent the miserable weak since we were eliminated reading about GAR, or goals above replacement -- finally someone has taken the go-to baseball analytic tool and made a crack at applying it to hockey:

https://hockey-graphs.com/2016/10/28/testing-and-final-remarks/

Here's the data for the Predators. Basically nothing shocking, other than Ellis and Forsberg are basically at an elite level, league-wide and Cody McLeod is very bad. Also, Jarnkrok, while a nice player, wouldn't be as terribly missed if selected by LV as we think.

DCdcqD1XgAMeGZz.jpg

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Just watched the final episode of the Showtime all-access show- if you haven't seen it, don't watch it if you don't think you can handle it. Not sure why I tortured myself- had to fast forward through most of it. But the Preds locker room scene after game 6 was pretty powerful (and sad) stuff....

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
Just watched the final episode of the Showtime all-access show- if you haven't seen it, don't watch it if you don't think you can handle it. Not sure why I tortured myself- had to fast forward through most of it. But the Preds locker room scene after game 6 was pretty powerful (and sad) stuff....

I had to fast forward through parts as well. The locker room scene was gut wrenching. I felt awful leaving the arena that night. But those players were crushed. I hope Fisher comes back for one more year. Pretty amazing to see him pour out his soul to his teammates.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I'm so sick of hearing how Pollock made the right call on the ice, and you "can't win a game without scoring a goal."

If the right call is being out of position, whistling the puck as dead when it never was stopped, and disallowing an obvious and legal goal, then hockey is stupid.

As for the "not scoring a goal part", the Preds did score a goal. The Penguins didn't until the final two minutes of the game.

This is a shameful and stupid argument.

I'm also sick of hearing, "it is such a hard thing to legislate."

In other words, yeah, it sucked, but deal with it, and we aren't going to fix it. In a league making billions, this isn't good enough.

Get it together NHL. The officiating has been awful for years. The playoffs are inconsistent and directly impacted the Predators in 2 pivotal moments, game 1 and 6 of the SCF and cost them the opening goal in each.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I'm so sick of hearing how Pollock made the right call on the ice, and you "can't win a game without scoring a goal."

If the right call is being out of position, whistling the puck as dead when it never was stopped, and disallowing an obvious and legal goal, then hockey is stupid.

As for the "not scoring a goal part", the Preds did score a goal. The Penguins didn't until the final two minutes of the game.

This is a shameful and stupid argument.

I'm also sick of hearing, "it is such a hard thing to legislate."

In other words, yeah, it sucked, but deal with it, and we aren't going to fix it. In a league making billions, this isn't good enough.

Get it together NHL. The officiating has been awful for years. The playoffs are inconsistent and directly impacted the Predators in 2 pivotal moments, game 1 and 6 of the SCF and cost them the opening goal in each.

And as has been pointed out repeatedly, what makes it a million times worse is they WILL OVERTURN a goal on someone being offsides by one millionth of a centimeter- based on a totally inconclusive replay- but not on a call like this where the right call is clear as a bell....

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Pollock blows that whistle literally a quarter of the second later, the puck is already in the net and the goal counts. That's why it's so stupid. When you blow the whistle right as the stick is hitting the puck, there needs to be some discretion from the league to look at a couple of things.

1. Was the puck ever covered or covered for a sufficient amount of time that blowing the whistle could be considered if not the right call, a judgment call?

2. Did the whistle blowing, even if it was wrong and premature stop the play that was still happening?

Obviously the puck was never covered in question 1 and the play was just about to reach its conclusion when the whistle blew in question 2.

Now if the puck is laying in the crease and nobody's really near it and the whistle blows and then Sissons comes skating in and knocks the puck in two seconds later after everyone stopped because the whistle blew, that's different. It's still the wrong call for a premature whistle but you could at least make the argument that without the whistle, Murray would realize he didn't have the puck and would move to try to find it but there needs to be a replay every time in that scenario to see when the whistle was and where the puck was when the whistle blew. If the whistle doesn't effect the effort of the players on the play, the goal needs to count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad