Waived: NYR - Tony DeAngelo CLEARED waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Perhaps I am blind. I just read this article 3 times and it does not offer proof his comments were racist. According to this article it may have been "other derogatory language". Are we assuming here? Is there more to this story not addressed by Yahoo?
They didn't disclose what he said exactly but is it better if he called his teammate a f****t?

He fights his teammates and calls them slurs, why do people want him? They chose Brendan Smith over him.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
They didn't disclose what he said exactly but is it better if he called his teammate a f****t?

He fights his teammates and calls them slurs, why do people want him? They chose Brendan Smith over him.
Not the issue. I was not making a claim the Wings should or should not claim DeAngelo. I was asking for someone to back up a claim of racism with proof. So, I am left to assume we are just assuming.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
When was it? How old was he?
Do you know what he said? Do you know the context? Do you know what led to it?
Do you know if he's ever repeated the slur or others ever since?

I read the tweets. So when I say "politics-fueled," I know what tweets I'm talking about. I saw the 4chan-like mob attacking some account they said was DeAngelo's "burner account."

Him being an asshole is what led to it.

The team never said what it was but they took it upon themselves to suspend DeAngelo before the league so it must have been pretty bad.

Sarnia's Anthony DeAngelo suspended for slur directed at teammate

DeAngelo on scouts' radar for wrong reasons - Sportsnet.ca

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
His dad’s comments are sad.

“It may not be right, but it’s how I was raised.”

Okay, so you were raised to be a piece of shit, you know you’re a piece of shit, and instead of...not being a piece of shit, you just accept it.

And certainly there’s enough smoke to assume that the same rings true for his son.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
His dad’s comments are sad.

“It may not be right, but it’s how I was raised.”

Okay, so you were raised to be a piece of shit, you know you’re a piece of shit, and instead of...not being a piece of shit, you just accept it.

And certainly there’s enough smoke to assume that the same rings true for his son.
"I knew it was wrong but instilled it in my child anyway."

Reactions: jaster and Reddwit

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

I lived in Philly for 6 months on a work assignment and I have to say that some sections of the city are some of the most overtly racist I've visited in the country.

That video shows that this type of behavior is learned. What an absolute turd his father is.

Reactions: jaster

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Tony DeAngelo isn't a good enough player to make his negative effect in the locker room of wanting to fight his teammates worthwhile.

I don't care if he'd be the best PP QB we've had in two years (I would take Kronwall over him as a PPQB pretty easily and he only fell behind in his last year because he aged real bad), he's not enough of a bump in talent to this roster for me to overlook the fact that he's a piece of a shit that has been tossed off two or three rosters already... ONCE BY THE GM THAT WOULD BE PICKING HIM UP IN THIS SCENARIO.

You want a real PP QB, offer something to Florida to take Keith Yandle's last year and change. I'm sure it wouldn't be a high price because he's so expensive for a couple more years and he's a better PPQB than DeAngelo ever has been.

3rd or 4th round pick for Yandle over a waiver claim of DeAngelo for me.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Tony DeAngelo isn't a good enough player to make his negative effect in the locker room of wanting to fight his teammates worthwhile.

I don't care if he'd be the best PP QB we've had in two years (I would take Kronwall over him as a PPQB pretty easily and he only fell behind in his last year because he aged real bad), he's not enough of a bump in talent to this roster for me to overlook the fact that he's a piece of a shit that has been tossed off two or three rosters already... ONCE BY THE GM THAT WOULD BE PICKING HIM UP IN THIS SCENARIO.

You want a real PP QB, offer something to Florida to take Keith Yandle's last year and change. I'm sure it wouldn't be a high price because he's so expensive for a couple more years and he's a better PPQB than DeAngelo ever has been.

3rd or 4th round pick for Yandle over a waiver claim of DeAngelo for me.

I don't see a lot of evidence he'd be better than Hronek.
What would Hronek do with Panarin?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
You're talking about something from 7 years ago when the kid was 18-19.

I am. He was reported to have attitude issues way back as an 18-19 year old. He's now 25 and still has attitude issues as we have just found out today.

He might not be calling his teammates racial or homophobic slurs anymore but he's still a prick.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It's rumored that after DeAngelo started a fight with Georgiev for the misplay in OT, Kreider stepped up and punched DeAngelo in the face. Hilarious if true.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I am. He was reported to have attitude issues way back as an 18-19 year old. He's now 25 and still has attitude issues as we have just found out today.

He might not be calling his teammates racial or homophobic slurs anymore but he's still a prick.

$10 says if he was a pick with 6 points and not -6, he wouldn't be waived.

I disagreed with Datsyuk's stance on issues.
Doesn't change what I think of him as a player.
Doesn't change what I think of him as a person - because I don't really have any views on him as a person, and don't really care to.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
$10 says if he was a pick with 6 points and not -6, he wouldn't be waived.

I disagreed with Datsyuk's stance on issues.
Doesn't change what I think of him as a player.
Doesn't change what I think of him as a person - because I don't really have any views on him as a person, and don't really care to.

Datsyuk wasn't assaulting teammates in the hallway or verbally abusing them.

I don't understand why you're trying to qualify DeAngelo's behavior. Whether he had 6 points or 1 point this season isn't the issue, it's whether or not he's a good teammate and a locker room cancer.

Reactions: Electric Eric

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Datsyuk wasn't assaulting teammates in the hallway or verbally abusing them.

I don't understand why you're trying to qualify DeAngelo's behavior. Whether he had 6 points or 1 point this season isn't the issue, it's whether or not he's a good teammate and a locker room cancer.

I'm not saying anything about him.
You are.
You are pretending you know things.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I'm not saying anything about him.
You are.
You are pretending you know things.

You are defending someone who does not deserve to be defended. He’s a bad guy, with a history of doing/saying bad things on multiple occasions, including the bad thing that led his current employer (obviously an organization willing to look past some bit of his checkered past) being motivated enough to waive him.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Do not want. He's not a child any longer and chances are high that he will not change until he hits rock bottom.

Another team giving him $5 million is not rock bottom.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
It would be an absolute PR nightmare for the Red Wings to claim this guy. Any team that does will get some form of crap for it because of his past, but for a minority dominated city like Detroit... stay away.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
It would be different for a claiming team if they thought they could win a Championship because ADA is the piece they're missing. You could justify claiming him then.

Claiming him to be the NHL's worst team, or close to it, with or without him is a hard no.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
You are defending someone who does not deserve to be defended. He’s a bad guy, with a history of doing/saying bad things on multiple occasions, including the bad thing that led his current employer (obviously an organization willing to look past some bit of his checkered past) being motivated enough to waive him.

The fact the Rangers just dumped nearly $5m/2 years on this guy and are now doing whatever they can to just get him out of the locker room and away from the team should probably say all that needs said. The Wings need talent but he's not going to tip them over from awful to good and we don't need someone here who is apparently a trash fire in the locker room while we continue to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad