Waived: NYR - Tony DeAngelo CLEARED waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I wonder if Tony DeAngelo will be the only gone after this incident.
Alt captain punches a guy.
Goalie evidently in it.
GM signed a guy who's on waivers 9 games into a seasn.
Coach apparently let these things fester.

Why the f*** would anyone else be involved if the team assessed DeAngelo was the one in the wrong?

"Hey Chris, we know that Tony was in the wrong and you were standing up for Georgiev, but get bent."
"Hey Alexandar, don't be a bitch and stand up for yourself, get bent."
"Hey Coach, Tony has been a problem at multiple levels and for multiple organizations, but we blame this on you for not being able to reign in his shittiness, get bent."

mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If no one really knows why is the consensus online to stay away from this kid? Seems like the "cancel culture" striking again...

One, that's not cancel culture. Second, because the kid has a history of being a problem, stories of him being a problem in NYR are now popping up, and NYR just tried to give him away for nothing despite making a pretty sizable investment in him just a few months ago.

we have a team that, in theory anyway, should be moving a bunch of kids into the lineup and will continue to endure a lot of losing. Bringing in a guy who looks to be carrying some pretty substantial baggage, outside of that guy being a massive piece to build a team around, just screams bad idea.

Trying to bridge this out into some larger social commentary is just wrong and, more importantly, wholly out of place for this website and message board.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Defending DeAngelo on the grounds that we don't know for certain that he's at fault here is missing the point badly. Even if he's completely innocent here, which is pretty unlikely, he has a loooong track record of bad behavior. The Rangers have even come out and said the waiving is not because of one incident, but many.

mod

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Why the f*** would anyone else be involved if the team assessed DeAngelo was the one in the wrong?

"Hey Chris, we know that Tony was in the wrong and you were standing up for Georgiev, but get bent."
"Hey Alexandar, don't be a bitch and stand up for yourself, get bent."
"Hey Coach, Tony has been a problem at multiple levels and for multiple organizations, but we blame this on you for not being able to reign in his shittiness, get bent."

Why are you defending Tony from being mislabeled and having his character attacked, but then toss in a slight against the other people involved...as if there wasn't every clue in the world that DeAngelo was in the wrong?

Because there might be more wrong in the locker room than just Deangelo. The coach could probably be on the hot seat if NYR doesn't come close to living up to expectations (though, considering Kaako and Lafreniere are were just added the past couple of years, I'm not sure what their expectations are considering they also signed Trouba and Panarin).

Personally, I don't think anyone else gets canned because they can't play nicely with others. I'm not sure NYR should have the expectations to justify canning the coach, but that doesn't mean they won't have those expectations anyway. With Georgiev, he's still expected to become the eventual backup to their other Russian goalie. I think he's probably safe until his next RFA contact and if/when Shesterkin finds his game in the NHL.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I wonder if Tony DeAngelo will be the only gone after this incident.
Alt captain punches a guy.
Goalie evidently in it.
GM signed a guy who's on waivers 9 games into a seasn.
Coach apparently let these things fester.
In the interest of sticking to the facts has there been any reliable source confirming that Kreider punched DeAngelo?

Yes the GM signed a guy who's now on waivers 9 games into the season. Yet you're using that as evidence that it's not all DeAngelo's fault? Then go on to say the coach let things fester when they just put the guy on waivers. That makes no sense.

The guy put up 53 points for the Rangers last season and they just cut him 6 games into a new 2 year $10 million contract.

How contrarian do you have to be to bend yourself into a pretzel deflecting blame from DeAngelo.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
As a manager, I have had a lot of young kids work for me. Usually they're pretty good kids and in almost every case, they all meant well. Some of them don't really work out and when they move on you wish them well. You don't wish any harm on them, and you hope that maybe that the opportunity you were offering wasn't what they wanted.

With this guy though, there's been so much said about his past that I don't see how anyone can say "oh that's just cancel culture" and we should give it a shot, because we haven't heard his side. People all want to say "oh these are just rumors and we need to know what really happened", but those people don't understand there are legal ramifications preventing people from discussing things like this publicly. NHL teams are all undoubtedly are getting the full story, but to think that Joe NHL fan is entitled to that information is delusional. Most people in management go out of their ways to prevent people from being 'canceled' because they don't want the guilt of destroying someone's life despite how awful they might be.

This kid needs some real soul searching and it should be far and away from the NHL based on everything he's done up until now.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
mod

Now maybe ADA did everything being rumored and maybe he didn't. But when we know he got into an altercation with a teammate, and we know he's been dumped from several teams for unprofessional behavior, you can't throw the phrase cancel culture around because it doesn't apply here.

If he gets a lifetime ban from the NHL, and then details surface that not everything happened as alleged, that's one thing. But based on the known actions and responses thus far, there's no special label or social victim for this situation.

Reactions: kliq and Sparty

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Here's my take. Deangelo is obviously a very talented hockey player, but his attitude is uniquely poor and it rapidly makes him more of an issue than an asset despite his talent.

Talent-wise everyone knew that he should be a top ten- even top 5- pick back in the day. But due to racist comments, a fight with his teammates and other problems in junior hockey he fell to 19th overall. Tampa took a chance on him because of his obvious talent. That's second chance number one by my count.

Then he gets traded to Arizona for a second round pick after having successful seasons in Tampa's development system. Stevie Y said afterwards that is was purely about acquiring Hajek but I find that hard to believe considering that Deangelo was a healthy scratch numerous times in Syracuse and has had a superior career to Hajek in every way before and after the trade.

So Arizona gives him his next second chance. He arrives in the NHL and does well. After a successful rookie campaign he had more issues with his teammates and is traded to New York after one season.

Finally in New York they reduce his social media access and he fits with their team play and seems to find a home. There's rumors that after getting kicked off twitter he makes burner accounts and other whispers of locker room issues but it's unclear what exactly goes on behind the scenes. He ultimately has some great seasons on the ice and signs a nice deal to stick around. Then we have this incident and the team decides to cut bait with him entirely. No team in the league is willing to pick him up off waivers. He's out of second chances.

Is Anthony Deangelo a good hockey player? I think so. Everyone does. It's obvious. There's almost no team in the league that wouldn't pick up a player of identical capability off waivers if the player's personality was unremarkable. But Deangelo's personality seems to be remarkably bad. He consistently gets in fights with teammates and coaches, and has an inflammatory personality on social media. This has been a problem with every team he has played for. It was the biggest knock on his scouting report when he was drafted. It's obvious that no matter how good he is, he's not worth having around. He's made it clear that he's not going to change his attitude. I don't want him on Detroit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad