Speculation: NYR FIRESALE

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
A McDonagh extension would be 8 years.

You can't say for sure that we're not contending in 2 years, let alone 8 years. Things change very quick.

We only have six players left from the SCF team from 4 years ago.

And you can’t say for sure that they will be contending. The only thing that you can control is your cap space, and that needs o be preserved.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Have you watched McDonagh? He is at the tail end of his prime and will be 30 when he is up for free agency. He isn’t getting younger. That doesn’t mean he is AARP that just means that the next time the Rangers will be ready for a consistently successful run, he is likely to be out of his prime.

Yeah, I've watched McDonagh.

I've watched him return to 2013-14 form in the six games Girardi is gone.

How do you know when the Rangers are ready for another successful run? It could be next year. Successful rebuilds don't take that long.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
If Dreger were on the Leafs, I'm not sure Vesey would make Dreger expendable.

Vesey does a lot of the right things away from the puck, but he's one of the least talented players in the league with the puck. Total plug. But because he's responsible without it, coaches will love him and he'll always get more minutes than he deserves. Avoid.
Don't tell him or is Dad that. Since they thought he was a top 10 player in the league when he decided to go free agent.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Preserved for what? To sign franchise players? We already have one.

Preserved for younger, peaking players. Smart additions. One day hockey fans will learn that salary cap space is the best weapon a team can have. I understand that you may not get that yet after years of Sather. It’s a high risk, dumb move to pay McDonagh until he is 38

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Preserved for younger, peaking players. Smart additions. One day hockey fans will learn that salary cap space is the best weapon a team can have. I understand that you may not get that yet after years of Sather. It’s a high risk, dumb move to pay McDonagh until he is 38

It's the only sensible move unless you can name a replacement.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah, I've watched McDonagh.

I've watched him return to 2013-14 form in the six games Girardi is gone.

How do you know when the Rangers are ready for another successful run? It could be next year. Successful rebuilds don't take that long.

McDonagh has been better without Girardi but the Rangers have one win because Lundqvist is in decline and the rest of the team is underachieving.

But again this doesn’t matter because they may have wasted 11 million on Shattenkirk and Smith and don’t have that option anymore.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
McDonagh has been better without Girardi but the Rangers have one win because Lundqvist is in decline and the rest of the team is underachieving.

But again this doesn’t matter because they may have wasted 11 million on Shattenkirk and Smith and don’t have that option anymore.

Or maybe with a new coach we start winning games with this roster, but everyone is in a big rush to have their rebuild fantasy.

I've been through a Rangers scorched earth rebuild. It was long, it sucked, and it didn't work. We only got out of it because Jagr turned into Jesus and we lucked into Lundqvist.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I can see the Leafs being heavily interested in either Kreider or JT Miller in the offseason if they decide not to bring JVR back.

But a trade during the season is unlikely. Our lineup is packed as it is and NYR wouldnt want a pending UFA

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's the only sensible move unless you can name a replacement.

You are really making this sound impossible. It’s not. It’s been proven that these players are draftable.

There are a couple of pretty good Swedish defenders that are free agents the same summer as McDonagh; Karlsson and OEL. Ryan Ellis and Gardinier are up that summer as well if they would want a cheaper option. Nate Schmidt is underrated and he is up that summer too.

They have options. OEL is plenty realistic especially.

Columbus got their best two dmen by drafting Werenski at 8 and trading a forward for Jones. There is also no reason the Rangers can’t do similar.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Or maybe with a new coach we start winning games with this roster, but everyone is in a big rush to have their rebuild fantasy.

I've been through a Rangers scorched earth rebuild. It was long, it sucked, and it didn't work. We only got out of it because Jagr turned into Jesus and we lucked into Lundqvist.

There is no guarantee that new coach does better than Old coach. Especially if they go with another retread like Ruff.

Yes they lucked into Lundqvist. And Lundqvist has kept them too good to be in position to draft any elite talent. They have picked in the top ten twice since the lockout. One was Arizona’s pick last year and the other was the previous Sather regime being afraid to take Tarasenko (like many other teams) largely because of what had happened with Cherepanov. They didn’t have the luxury of Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA rebuilding their franchise with at least one top 3 draft pick.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Karlsson and OEL will be re-signed by their teams because their teams aren't ****ing stupid enough to get rid of franchise defensemen.

Karlsson probably resigns but their owner is cheap.

You can’t tell me that OEL wouldn’t rule out leaving Arizona though.

And still, you can draft one if you are high enough to get a good pick; or even get lucky

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ok so let's say Lundqvist doesn't drag them out there and they tank until like 2012.

That's FIFTEEN seasons in a row we miss the playoffs. And for what? So we contend for the Cup from 12-15? We contended for the Cup from 12-15 anyway.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Ok so let's say Lundqvist doesn't drag them out there and they tank until like 2012.

That's FIFTEEN seasons in a row we miss the playoffs. And for what? So we contend for the Cup from 12-15? We contended for the Cup from 12-15 anyway.

Old, bad regime crippled the team by giving extensions to players who were exiting their prime. Hopefully new, decent regime does better and doesn’t make the same mistakes.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Old, bad regime crippled the team by giving extensions to players who were exiting their prime. Hopefully new, decent regime does better and doesn’t make the same mistakes.

You're never going to have a regime that doesn't retain prime franchise players. Sorry.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You're never going to have a regime that doesn't retain prime franchise players. Sorry.

Because NHL teams don’t know how to use the salary cap yet. The good NBA teams have figured this out.

But again age 30-38 McDonagh is simply not in his prime

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Because NHL teams don’t know how to use the salary cap yet. The good NBA teams have figured this out.

But again age 30-38 McDonagh is simply not in his prime

Oh so "good" NBA teams are just ridding themselves of franchise players?

Is that why the two teams with literally every star are the two teams in the Finals every year?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Oh so "good" NBA teams are just ridding themselves of franchise players?

Is that why the two teams with literally every star are the two teams in the Finals every year?

Yes. Because they preserved the cap, by signing their players on the right sized deals, and when the big ticket player that fit their system was available they pounced. Why do you think the Warriors were able to get Durant. They drafted smart, kept their plan and didn’t give out dumb 3rd contracts

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yes. Because they preserved the cap, by signing their players on the right sized deals, and when the big ticket player that fit their system was available they pounced. Why do you think the Warriors were able to get Durant. They drafted smart, kept their plan and didn’t give out dumb 3rd contracts

And when Steph Curry is up at age 33, do you really think they're not gonna sign him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad