Speculation: NYR FIRESALE

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Because they were rewarded for being smart drafting and smart with the cap. On day hockey teams (and fans) will understand this
It's a joke and the NBA in general is a joke. Two contenders at most every year. Great league.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's a joke and the NBA in general is a joke. Two contenders at most every year. Great league.

The NBA is a much better League than the NHL. Their franchise values are skyrocketing and everyone wants a piece. The NHL is an afterthought to most people comparatively to the NBA. The best, smartest teams are rewarded. There should be no problem with that. This is getting off topic though.

Reactions: vancityluongo

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I mean this clearly shows the problem with Rangers fans (I'm one of them) and the Rangers management:

Lundqvist is untouchable? Why?

He is 35, he has played a ton of regular season and playoff hockey and is not in his prime anymore. He makes $8.5 million. Rangers had a chance to keep a younger Talbot who is the number 1 in Edmonton now. Instead as always they resigned an aging player for a massive contract.

So now they have a team that is spending $8.5 on a 35 year old and $7.5 on a bum in Nash.

It's hard to fix this team now cause no one wants Nash and I doubt anyone wants Lundqvist at that price.

Oh and I love that the Rangers planned to compete for a Cup this season! What a joke.

At the time NYR had to choose a goalie, they choose the future HoFer over a backup who performed admirably for a fraction of a season. That's not such a head scratcher when you put it in context. Edmonton took almost no risk, if Talbot didn't pan out as a starter, which was a possibility for sure, they didn't give up much to give it a shot. If NYR traded Hank to keep him and it turned out he couldn't keep up as a starter, NYR management would be crucified and rightly so.

And instead "as always" they resigned an aging player for a massive contract? That's why they're cutting Callahan those checks to put up 2 points a season still, right? That's why they offered Shattenkirk the massive money other teams did instead of having him come to them with a reasonable deal for the years they wanted specifically.

They didn't sign Nash to this contract, and he's a UFA next year. They could trade him with some retention as the deal is up this summer.

It's hard to "fix this team" because we're 6 games into the season and half the roster, including players who have played well for hundreds of games, look like they've never played before in their lives. It's not a team building issue right now, it's primarily a coaching/systems/morale issue imo, pretty clearly.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The NBA is a much better League than the NHL.
This would be where I stopped taking you seriously. The way the games are structured has a lot more to do with their fiscal success than any particular league policy. Basketball is more popular than hockey, but that doesn't mean the NBA and NBA franchises are better-run than the NHL and NHL franchises.

Reactions: haveandare

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I've been through a Rangers scorched earth rebuild. It was long, it sucked, and it didn't work. We only got out of it because Jagr turned into Jesus and we lucked into Lundqvist.

I'm completely with you in that the team shouldn't blow up the roster, but let's be honest - the Rangers' "scorched earth rebuild" literally started at the trade deadline of 2004. It lasted half a season (and the lockout year). Up until that point, we were still adding veterans to the roster.

That being said, total rebuilds rarely work. The Rangers approach from 06 to 14 was the right way to do things - draft well, acquire young players, and slowly introduce them into your team that has veteran leadership and a winning culture. Hell, that's the mentality that kept the Devils as cup contenders for 10 seasons in the 90s/00s.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I'm completely with you in that the team shouldn't blow up the roster, but let's be honest - the Rangers' "scorched earth rebuild" literally started at the trade deadline of 2004. It lasted half a season (and the lockout year). Up until that point, we were still adding veterans to the roster.

That being said, total rebuilds rarely work. The Rangers approach from 06 to 14 was the right way to do things - draft well, acquire young players, and slowly introduce them into your team that has veteran leadership and a winning culture. Hell, that's the mentality that kept the Devils as cup contenders for 10 seasons in the 90s/00s.

Slightly misleading because cap management is now a factor of whether to rebuild or not and how effective they can be. Rebuilds used to just be about finding the right talent and drafting well. Now its about finding talent, drafting well, and figuring out how much it costs to keep your core players

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
This would be where I stopped taking you seriously. The way the games are structured has a lot more to do with their fiscal success than any particular league policy. Basketball is more popular than hockey, but that doesn't mean the NBA and NBA franchises are better-run than the NHL and NHL franchises.
Oh please. No NHL team is ran half as well as the Warriors and Spurs.

Reactions: vancityluongo

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
NYR doesn't have much to do unless they want to shake things up:

1. Nash and Grabner will be deadline rentals if they're out of it. No point moving them until later. Best value is at the deadline when you have the biggest market.

2. Zibby, DeAngelo, Skjei, Kreider, Miller, Hayes, etc.. are the future "core". They're probably off limits.

3. Shatty, Smith are here for the immediate future.

4. That leaves two big names: McDonagh and Zuccarello. I Imagine they want to keep both, and they probably can, but it will make things tight. They are also the only two pieces that are old enough and contracted enough to return something worthwhile.

I think they could do something with Zuccarello similar to what they did with Zibanejad. Something like Teravainen + pick or Jankrok + pick or straight across for Kane (I assume tehy'll meet his contract demands) or Silfverberg.

Also, They could surprise everyone and make a big pitch for Duchene still. NYR is an interesting team. Definitely needs a shakeup soon though.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Sam Bennett for Chris Kreider? More risk, but much younger and cost controlled for longer.

Is Kreider available? What would Ranger fans want for him?

No, CK is not realistically available.
Having an open mind means in theory, anybody is on the table, but it also means the better the player, unless there is some atypical x factor, the less likely he is to be moved without enough profit to make it worthwhile.

There are a few players better than Kreider, but they are not likely to be in a deal coming to NYR. And remember, Kreider is a unique combo of speed and power. Almost no comparable combo, esp available. And a guy like MacKinnon, who is a comparable on speed and less power but better hands, touch, etc, you don't want to include CK for him, you want to overpay with other currency within reason so you add CK to NM.

Again, Gorton knows what he is doing, clearing up overreaches by Sather for the win now crowd that never should have taken place.

Like everybody else we have some low, middle, and high end pieces. The higher up, the more you have to overpay to make it worth our while. Nobody good is being given away.

In short, we will build with the younger core which is cap favorable and move more senior vets for prospects/picks.

Zucc is the one and only piece I really want from the NYR,the guy never stops...Besides he can play with his buddy Brass here in Ottawa

Sens $ is as good as anybody else.
Just cough up the top bid.
Give us something tasty.

Trading McDonagh made sense in the summer if they didn't sign Smith and Shattenkirk. Now, not as much.

It is not etched in stone that these things are connected.
Growing pains be damned we should trade the seniors IF IF IF there is adequate return, and roll w/Skjei, Graves, Beargloves on left and Shatty and Pionk on RD. DeAngelo, probably a chip for something.
We are not married to Smith, and the bad start which is applicable to coach AV mostly, he can be moved.

And when the rebuild is over, who's our #1D?
Asked...

They draft, sign or trade for one. Like everyone else. How did LA get Doughty, how did TB get Hedman? You take a step back to take two steps forward.
answered!

Kopitar, Doughty, Carter.

That's pretty much what interests me from LA for Zuccarello.
No thanks.
No coke for pepsi
no senior vets for similar
BUILD with youth

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
No, not answered.

Answered is a name. "Oh I don't know some kid we'll draft who's 15 now is the cornerstone of the organization" is not an answer.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
Nash always plays like a superhero when he's got the national team jersey on. I'd be prepared to see if we could fool him in Winnipeg with the leaf laying under the fighter jet. If you're willing to retain, I'd love to get him in a Jets uniform to skate on the 3rd line. This is the last year of his contract, or am I wildly mistaken?

I don't know what you guys would be looking for.

Reactions: Off Sides

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Nash always plays like a superhero when he's got the national team jersey on. I'd be prepared to see if we could fool him in Winnipeg with the leaf laying under the fighter jet. If you're willing to retain, I'd love to get him in a Jets uniform to skate on the 3rd line. This is the last year of his contract, or am I wildly mistaken?

I don't know what you guys would be looking for.

I'd imagine a late 1st or early 2nd rounder.

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
It's not far fetched to see why the Rangers are struggling. I think the Stepan trade for picks kinda signalled that this would be a "development" year of sorts for them and I wouldn't be surprised to see Nash/Grabner/Holden etc. traded at the deadline if they continue to struggle. They have a nice core still so I wouldn't be worried if I was a rangers fan.

I would LOVE to somehow get Kreider on the Leafs next to Matthews, but I doubt he's leaving New York

DontLaughAtThat

Apr 12, 2017
The only person that needs to go at this moment is Alain Vigneault. Start with him, and if the team is still playing like garbage, then potentially ship out a player or two. Nothing ridiculous like McDonagh either.

Last edited:

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
I'll play.

Kapanen + Brown + Dermott?

I just wouldn't be comfortable with giving up arguably 2 of our top 3 prospects and a guy like Brown who's on a great contract. Especially considering that Krieder would be more of a "luxury" opposed to a need.

JT Miller for Toronto's 2018 1st + Andrew Neilsen + lower pick(top 90)

Same as above, with the leafs depth at centre and plethora of wing prospects, i don't think we'd be after a guy like Miller (I think he can play both LW and C?) although both proposals aren"t too far off from what I would expect the ask realistically be.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I don't understand why the Rangers would/could have a fire sale if they just signed Shattenkirk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->