Speculation: NYR FIRESALE

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Sure it does. You can go over to resign your own players but you still need same to fit other free agents in.
Soft cap is BS. When the best team in the league can afford the best free agent on the market the cap might as well not exist.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If Dreger were on the Leafs, I'm not sure Vesey would make Dreger expendable.

Vesey does a lot of the right things away from the puck, but he's one of the least talented players in the league with the puck. Total plug. But because he's responsible without it, coaches will love him and he'll always get more minutes than he deserves. Avoid.

Sounds like he could make Hyman expendable :laugh:

Reactions: Machinehead

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Lundqvist is untouchable? Why?

From every other teams perspective Lundqvist is absolutely untouchable. Nobody is going to spend 8.5M a year on a washed up prima-donna who chokes in the playoffs. Well, nobody except the Rags.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Just want to point out, that Rick Nash gets called lots of things, like Bum, Loser, waste of space and many others, but scoring over 400 goals in less than 1000 GP in todays NHL with the low scoring is quite, quite good. When Nash signed his 7.5 per deal, he was more than worth that kind of money for a goal scorer.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think Vigneault's as good as gone if the Rangers don't turn things around anytime soon. Also a guy with Lundqvist might get traded as well. He's 35 so he shouldn't be untouchable.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Kreider+McD for Reinhart+Nylander+Ghule+Moulson+2nd?

A bit scary that McD is only signed until 18/19.

Reinhart is at least a good top six forward, might become a 60 pts 1b. Nylander projects as a top six forward but is nowhere near his brothers level of play. Ghule is a really exciting d prospect, skilled and good skater, should be NHL-ready next year.

Moulson+2nd there for cap reasons and compensation.

Any deal with Moulson is a non-starter.

Do not want.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I think Vigneault's as good as gone if the Rangers don't turn things around anytime soon. Also a guy with Lundqvist might get traded as well. He's 35 so he shouldn't be untouchable.

Which team needs a 36 year old goalie with an $8.5M cap hit and three more seasons left on his contract? It’s not that Lundqvist is untouchable. Which team is acquiring him?

Reactions: Off Sides

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Soft cap is BS. When the best team in the league can afford the best free agent on the market the cap might as well not exist.
You can't go over the cap by signing free agents. Warriors drafted and developed the best team of all time and got lucky with cap spikes and Curry's ankles to make the Durant signing happen.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
My apologies for disappearing last night, i like the general discussion going on and i appreciate some people adding healthy points to the conversation. Just to give some general answers to a few people out there, I would love to trade Nash at the deadline simply because this is not a cup-winning team and I would rather get some picks for him while we can. I would try to sell high at 1st + 3rd and a conditional 2nd in 2019 if Nash resigns. Hayes i would love to trade but it would most likely be a lateral trade not selling him for picks. Vesey can be had for a 3rd. JT Miller is most likely not going anywhere, he is a good Rangers grown prospect who seems to be fairly well regarded. However, if a trade was to be entertained at the deadline or for his rights, i would want a AAA Prospect and a 1st round pick. Take Holden for a f*****g bag of pucks please. And if anyone wants to give me a Christmas present take Staal.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
After seeing Weber for McDonagh called fair value, I knew this thread was going to be a good one.

Why are we so concerned with trading Lundqvist, and his 8.5/yr contract? This team is awful and that salary isn't going to change the direction of the team, it'll end up being more of the same - doing what we can to compete now. Nash isn't going to be paid 7.5 next season. Most likely he's completely gone. Are we going after Turris, JVR, Tavares, E. Kane, Neal, Duchene, Panarin in the next 1-2 years? This team has bigger problems than Lundqvist being paid 8.5, and I don't think the answers are fixed by getting his cap space off the books.

Av needs to go. We also need young prospects who can jump into the lineup with success for a few cheap years. Hopefully prospects who hustle and play like they have something to prove. If any team is taking Lundqvist back, we're taking salary back and most likely not getting what we need for the next couple of years.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
buyout Lundqvist in 2 seasons, get Shestyorkin in next season.

Zuccarello, Nash, Holden, Staal and Smith all need to go.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
You can't go over the cap by signing free agents. Warriors drafted and developed the best team of all time and got lucky with cap spikes and Curry's ankles to make the Durant signing happen.
I know. That makes it better how?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I mean this clearly shows the problem with Rangers fans (I'm one of them) and the Rangers management:

Lundqvist is untouchable? Why?

He is 35, he has played a ton of regular season and playoff hockey and is not in his prime anymore. He makes $8.5 million. Rangers had a chance to keep a younger Talbot who is the number 1 in Edmonton now. Instead as always they resigned an aging player for a massive contract.

So now they have a team that is spending $8.5 on a 35 year old and $7.5 on a bum in Nash.

It's hard to fix this team now cause no one wants Nash and I doubt anyone wants Lundqvist at that price.

Oh and I love that the Rangers planned to compete for a Cup this season! What a joke.

A. You're not a Rangers fan.

B. If you were, you would know he doesn't want to be traded.

C. Keeping Talbot was never an option.

D. This thread is a complete overreaction.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Price + Alzner + Lehkonen for Lundqvist + McDonagh + Kreider?
Oof, no thanks. If we're getting rid of Hank, I don't want a similarly expensive and long-term goalie to replace him. I'd rather get a stop gap and get Shestyorkin over ASAP.

Aside from Price being younger and better than Hank, and not someone I want for the reasons above, NYR are giving up the better d-man and forward. Don't really see what they get out of this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->