Speculation: NYR FIRESALE

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
What would Vesey's value be at this point? Oilers are hurting on the wing atm.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
A fire sale would never happen with the Rangers ownership group. They'll make a push to add whatever they can at the deadline to get them into the playoffs.

Now, if we were going out and selling pieces, it's not going to be for something like Kreider, Lundqvist, and McDonagh for Alzner, Price, and Lehkonen.

Where do I start with that? Lundqvist and Price are both good goaltenders. Both have poor records to start the season. Both have very larger contracts. Yes, Hank has looked in decline, but that's not a trade I make. League cup winners have shown it's not always necessary to ice an elite goaltender and invest that money.

McDonagh is better than Alzner. Kreider is better than Lehkonen. Price is better than Hank right now.

That trade is not worth it.

Swapping pieces for similar ages or older really does nothing except muddle up any chemistry. Besides I haven't seen a fire sale ever actually happen.

I'd look for a move like a Hayes for a similar change-of-scenery center. It looks like they're getting too comfortable.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The rhetoric that NY teams can’t rebuild because of ownership is false.

You can rebuild but you actually have to openly acknowledge that’s the strategy and not go half way. Everyone was fine with the Yankees rebuilding, but the young players showed up and they were ahead of schedule so they accelerated.

The Knicks, which have the same ownership group as the Rangers has certainly embraced rebuilding this season as well.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It's not that he's untouchable, it's that he's untradeable. Going to need one hell of a salesman to convince a team to take a 35 year old, declining goalie at 8.5M a year for three years beyond this season.

If you're burning it to the ground then retain on Lundqvist if you have to. You're not going to need that cap space when you're bad for a couple years. I can see why you wouldn't move a bad contract for the sake of it, but if you're going to be bad, than Lundqvist @8.5 isn't something you need around 4.25 in dead cap(50% retention) and the assets you get in a trade would be better in the long run than playing out the contract on a team you're making bad on purpose.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If you're burning it to the ground then retain on Lundqvist if you have to. You're not going to need that cap space when you're bad for a couple years. I can see why you wouldn't move a bad contract for the sake of it, but if you're going to be bad, than Lundqvist @8.5 isn't something you need around 4.25 in dead cap(50% retention) and the assets you get in a trade would be better in the long run than playing out the contract on a team you're making bad on purpose.

It is notoriously hard to get good value on veteran goalkeepers.

Honestly, how many teams do you think would even be interested in Lundqvist? Of those teams, how many would he waive his NMC for?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It is notoriously hard to get good value on veteran goalkeepers.

Honestly, how many teams do you think would even be interested in Lundqvist? Of those teams, how many would he waive his NMC for?

If you can't make it work trading him @50% retention then fine he stays. However Lundqvist is still a good enough goalie that there would be teams interested at that price. If Lundqvist wants to stay on a team you're blowing up instead then that's all you can do, but you don't just put him on a list of guys that stay before actually exploring it.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If you can't make it work trading him @50% retention then fine he stays. However Lundqvist is still a good enough goalie that there would be teams interested at that price. If Lundqvist wants to stay on a team you're blowing up instead then that's all you can do, but you don't just put him on a list of guys that stay before actually exploring it.

Okay but who are the teams Lundqvist is waiving NMC for that need a goalie? Lundqvist isn’t waiving to go to Winnipeg for example (sorry Manitoba)

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
A 1st round pick and prospect at a minimum
1st round pick.

Shoot first forward prospect equivalent to first.

Maybe a better center if Rangers add to Hayes.

Tempting as I think he'd fit with Trocheck and Vrbata/Dadonov fairly well and we own Arizona's 2018 2nd round pick which as of now, looks like a late 1st pick. Problem is he will be looking to cash in a bit on his last couple years. Probably something like 5yrs -$5 to 5.75 million per? May put us in a log jam when we have to re-sign Borgstrom and Tippett in a couple years.

What would be his max arbitration ask?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Tempting as I think he'd fit with Trocheck and Vrbata/Dadonov fairly well and we own Arizona's 2018 2nd round pick which as of now, looks like a late 1st pick. Problem is he will be looking to cash in a bit on his last couple years. Probably something like 5yrs -$5 to 5.75 million per?

I doubt that Hayes gets more than Kreider got. Kreider took AAV of 4.5; Hayes also under RFA control.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I am not the type of Rangerfan that makes assumptions one week into the season. Speculation does not kill though, and with AV's current decision-making the future does not look too bright. Feel free to make this a fully open Rangers discussion... Assume everyone is on the table except Lundqvist, Skjei, Shatty, Buchnevich, Zibby and 2017 prospects.

OP has a right to this post.

It is erroneous on several levels including but not limited to
believe that Lundqvist will waive his NMC. Odds are he likes it here and will remain on as backup when he can't cut the extra work.

Zib is not going anywhere.
Neither is Kreider or Miller
In addition, the core has Vesey and Hayes
They are good enough for where they are, and while not lights out, they both came here
as college UFAs. If we want more of them to feel welcome, we don't trade them too early.
Hayes doesn't go before his next deal at earliest
Vesey is a long ways off from being dealt.

Buch are available for upgrades
is not going out the door cheap, but will be available for enough upgrade

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
How much for Grabner? Pens could really spread the offense out to 4 lines deep. Roll a Hagelin-McKegg-Sheary 4th line or something, then Grabner with 3C and Kessel.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I just don't think Lundqvist will ever get traded A) because he's a franchise goalie and B) Noone will want his contract at 35. So it's pointless to entertain the idea unless its a bottom feeder team with a s***ton of capspace who are willing to part with fantastic prospects.
Literally everything your post projects is in stark and direct contrast to this notion. If Lundqvist is as you say he is noone is going to pony up for him.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Zucc is the one and only piece I really want from the NYR,the guy never stops...Besides he can play with his buddy Brass here in Ottawa

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It makes zero sense to trade McDonagh. There's no realistic replacement for him.

Probably would be foolish to trade Kreider or Zuccarello as well.

Deal Nash, Grabner, maybe Hayes, see what you can get for Holden. Rebuild smart. These nuclear firesales don't work.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Ya it may be too rich for our blood going into next season but he would be a solid addition. We have a ton of long term deals already. Is there a chance Rangers re-sign him?

The Rangers will definitely resign him. There is no reason for them not too. And as I said I don’t think he gets more than Kreider

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It makes zero sense to trade McDonagh. There's no realistic replacement for him.

Probably would be foolish to trade Kreider or Zuccarello as well.

Deal Nash, Grabner, maybe Hayes, see what you can get for Holden. Rebuild smart. These nuclear firesales don't work.

Trading McDonagh made sense in the summer if they didn'tsign Smith and Shattenkirk. Now, not as much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad