Confirmed Trade: [NSH/CHI] Ryan Hartman, 2018 5th round for Victor Ejdsell, 2018 1st round, 2018 4th round

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
So....trading a late first for a player that was a late first and scored 19 goals as a rookie last season is now an overpayment? Hartman is going to be a great fit in Nashville. Hawks made a puzzling trade. They need D and got none.

Ejdsell is a pretty good get, especially considering we gave up a 1st too. I wouldn't be too bummed.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
So....trading a late first for a player that was a late first and scored 19 goals as a rookie last season is now an overpayment? Hartman is going to be a great fit in Nashville. Hawks made a puzzling trade. They need D and got none.

They also need a big centre if they move Anisimov as well. Hopefully he is good at FO's, looks like a good prospect.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm shocked that Poile gave up a 1st round pick for a player with 8 goals this year, especially one that will surely play on the bottom two lines. He makes those bottom lines slightly better, but that's one steep price. He'll have to become a playoff hero for this trade to pay off.

Maybe if they weren't running all the ****ing computer crippling scripts, HFboards could handle the load.

Bingo. That's the difference this year. The overhauled site is now so much heavier than in years past. If there weren't so much "mandatory" content being forced on visitors, the servers could probably handle the load and stay up. I think that evidence of this is that, often, when you load or refresh the page today, the page is actually briefly displayed before the servers replace it with an error message because there's a problem with all of the "mandatory" scripting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legionnaire11

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I'm shocked that Poile gave up a 1st round pick for a player with 8 goals this year, especially one that will surely play on the bottom two lines. He makes those bottom lines slightly better, but that's one steep price. He'll have to become a playoff hero for this trade to pay off.

He's 23, it's not a rental trade, he should be in Nashville for at least 4 years or so. I don't see it as a very steep price.

JLarucci23

May 22, 2015
Chicago, IL
I liked Hartman here but he's been pretty mediocre at best this year. Started the season hot and fell off a cliff since about this first month of the season. Shows flashes at time but also take stupid, stupid penalties. I can't remember if it was the Columbus game or San Jose game but the Hawks had a 2 on 1 and it got called dead because Hartman took a behind the play penalty. Hopefully the kid can reel it in a bit and have a successful career.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Good player or not, NASH way over paid here. No if, and, or buts. They got taken to the cleaners. NASH doesn't often lose deals but they certainly did here. Gross trade.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Hartman will be missed, but my gut reaction when I heard of the trade was that we better get a 2nd plus a prospect for him. I can't complain about the return when it was much better than my first expectation.

icekoob

4th Liner
May 16, 2010
VALPO/chicago
Love RH but as mentioned he is irresponsible and was atrocious in the playoffs last year (though to be fair the whole team was).

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Good player or not, NASH way over paid here. No if, and, or buts. They got taken to the cleaners. NASH doesn't often lose deals but they certainly did here. Gross trade.

If we can re-sign him it doesn't look too bad. Our 1st will be low and Hartman can be a solid 40 point guy for us.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
If we can re-sign him it doesn't look too bad. Our 1st will be low and Hartman can be a solid 40 point guy for us.

Again, your basis is on a bunch of ifs. I prefer to look at the hear and now. Right here, right now, this is a gross trade. Nothing against the player, but NASH way over paid here. They could have found somebody else for far less and who probably could have done the same job.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Feel like Nashville would've been better off trading these kind of assets for a more established scoring winger even if he was a rental. Hartman is young yeah but I don't think he is going to be anything more than a replaceable bottom 6 guy now and in the future. 1st and a decent prospect for that is pretty weak.

Reminds me of the Shaw trade where Hawks got 2 good future assets for a bottom 6 guy who another GM seemed to think had way more ability than he did.

Last edited:
Reactions: icekoob

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
He's 23, it's not a rental trade, he should be in Nashville for at least 4 years or so. I don't see it as a very steep price.

The player that they would've taken with that 1st round pick could've been in Nashville's system for at least 7 years. Naturally, he could've busted, but he very well could've ended up better than Hartman. Imagine if this trade had occurred a year ago for last year's 1st-round pick. Perhaps it wouldn't have seemed like a steep price at the time, but you would've been giving up Tolvanen for Hartman.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Again, your basis is on a bunch of ifs. I prefer to look at the hear and now. Right here, right now, this is a gross trade. Nothing against the player, but NASH way over paid here. They could have found somebody else for far less and who probably could have done the same job.

I don't think it's out of the question that he re-signs here, we're cup contenders and he'd be in a good spot to fulfill his potential.

He's a giant upgrade on Aberg/Hartnell and would be a great bottom 6er that can be a 20-20-40 player or better.

It's a lot to give up on first look, but so was giving up a 1st for Gaustad and that was a good one for the Preds with context.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
The player that they would've taken with that 1st round pick could've been in Nashville's system for at least 7 years. Naturally, he could've busted, but he very well could've ended up better than Hartman. Imagine if this trade had occurred a year ago for last year's 1st-round pick. Perhaps it wouldn't have seemed like a steep price at the time, but you would've been giving up Tolvanen for Hartman.

Yes, but we're going all in the next few years, a 1st that we'll have to wait around 2-5 years to develop doesn't help us in the playoffs.

Tolvanen was pretty much a free top 5 pick, having him makes giving up this 1st a lot easier. Not every 1st is going to work out that well.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Nashville is really gearing up, wow. Plus you got Statsny to the Jets. This is gonna be epic playoffs this year.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Good move for both teams. The first is steep, but I doubt Nashville will end up regretting it too much. I definitely did not think Hartman would get a first, not to mention the other moving pieces, so solid deal.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
The only "if" here is if the late first round pick two to four years from now turns out to be as good as Hartman has been over the past two years in the NHL, let alone whether said unknown player actually makes it to the NHL.

Typical HF board to believe that the potential unknown x player (lower) first round draft pick is worth more than the actual former (higher) first rounder who's been developed, still is young and inexpensive, can fulfill multiple roles on a team, and who currently is playing in the NHL. Plus, he's a little bit nasty and he's been traded to a direct in division rival. Don't relish seeing him annoy the Hawks in the future.

The only way this works out for the Hawks is if the big bodied Swede is able to play in the NHL. Otherwise, they traded the wrong forward (should have been Anisimov).

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017

Would that somebody else be a 23 year old RFA? That's why he returned a first. Sure, if you want to ignore everything else and look at just the player as a rental it looks bad, but that's pretty stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad