Confirmed Trade: [NSH/CHI] Ryan Hartman, 2018 5th round for Victor Ejdsell, 2018 1st round, 2018 4th round

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Following up on this trade, Hawks took Philipp Kurashev 5th round and at #27 Dman Nicolas Beaudin while they passed up on Sandin and Veleno.

Hartman is on the 4th line in Nashville it appears, but producing decent with 9 goals in 37 games, on pace for 20 goals and 9 assists in 82 games this season.
Hartman has been all up and down the lineup and one of our more consistent forwards night in and night out. Most Preds fans aren't enamoured with having given up that much for him but he looks to be a more valuable piece going forward than we thought in the aftermath of the deal.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Ryan Hartman isn’t the kind of player that you should trade your 1st round pick for. That was obvious at the time of the trade.

Ryan Hartman was a late 1st (30th) himself and is surprisingly 15th in scoring from his draft. I bet that's better than the average 27th overall pick. Having said that, I wouldn't personally trade a late first for that calibre of player if I were a contender.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Ryan Hartman was a late 1st (30th) himself and is surprisingly 15th in scoring from his draft. I bet that's better than the average 27th overall pick. Having said that, I wouldn't personally trade a late first for that calibre of player if I were a contender.

If you have a ticket voucher that can be worth $0, $10, or $1,000, you don’t trade that for a $20 bill.

On a similar note, Ryan Hartman is superior to the average late 1st round pick. But that doesn’t mean that you should be trading late 1st round picks for players like him.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
If you have a ticket voucher that can be worth $0, $10, or $1,000, you don’t trade that for a $20 bill.
Assuming they are equal odds. If they are not and the $0 and $10 are much more likely, then you would easily trade it for $20.

If you disagree, take your lifesaving down and buy scratch off lotteries, because they can be worth $0, $10 or $1,000,000...

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

On a similar note, Ryan Hartman is superior to the average late 1st round pick. But that doesn’t mean that you should be trading late 1st round picks for players like him.

You are not getting the $1000 at the bottom of the first.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Yeah bu

Yeah but the whole point is to shoot for the best top line/pairing caliber player you can like a Veleno, Tolvanen or Jokiharju and sign a Hartman level guy from college, overseas or the UFA bargain bin. Any GM is a phone call or waiver claim away from 20 capable bottom 6/bottom pairing placeholders who'd gladly do it for 650k. Capitals got Connolly, Chiasson, DSP, Jaskin, Beagle, Boyd, Dowd for the combined value of a 2011 6th round pick.

Reactions: zaqq

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
It’s an extremely simple analogy, and everybody probably understands it well enough for me not to need to explain it; you included. But right off the top of my head, Evgeny Kuznetsov.

And it took Kuznetsov nearly 4 full years to come over from Russia and another 2 on top of that to become a top line player.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
And it took Kuznetsov nearly 4 full years to come over from Russia and another 2 on top of that to become a top line player.

Pastrnak, Rakell, Mike Green, Corey Perry, hell even John Carlson. Taking a chance on one of those guys is better than taking a player like Ryan Hartman who pretty much is what he is.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Pastrnak, Rakell, Mike Green, Corey Perry, hell even John Carlson. Taking a chance on one of those guys is better than taking a player like Ryan Hartman who pretty much is what he is.

I'm not thrilled with the trade but you're trading a pick that has maybe a 5% chance to turn into a top line/pair player for a middle 6 forward who is young and controlled. It's certainly not the worst thing you could do (or Poile has done) with a 1st round pick (Gaustad.)

Reactions: Gh24

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Except that’s not accurate. It’s more like you can have 0, 50, or 200, and you’ve only got like a 5% chance at 200. When you need groceries and someone offers you 100, you take the money.

Reactions: Gnashville

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Why are we talking about this trade again? Hartman is the type of player normally found at the bottom of the 1st round and he more valuable to the Predators than someone who won’t be playing for another year or 2. If Beaudin becomes a Norris winning Defenseman then blame Poile. He did not think highly of the 2018 draft as he traded every pick he had for either players or future draft picks. The Predators only used 4 picks and got nothing out of them. The 4th round pick Nashville got from this trade became Spencer Stastney who in 17 games at Notre Dame is putting up a big goose egg in the points column.

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I'm not thrilled with the trade but you're trading a pick that has maybe a 5% chance to turn into a top line/pair player for a middle 6 forward who is young and controlled. It's certainly not the worst thing you could do (or Poile has done) with a 1st round pick (Gaustad.)

Is Hartman really a proven middle-6 forward? He was healthy scratched in the playoffs and has been mostly playing on the 4th line this year. He has 22 points in 68 games in his entire tenure as a Predator and 13 in 38 games this year. An 82 game pace of less than 30 points is very underwhelming for a middle-6 forward in today’s era.

Except that’s not accurate. It’s more like you can have 0, 50, or 200, and you’ve only got like a 5% chance at 200. When you need groceries and someone offers you 100, you take the money.

If you take a look at the average value of various draft picks, I think that the conclusion you’ll come closer to is mine.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

If it makes you feel better, we traded that pick (Girgensons) for Mark Jankowski and Patrick Sieloff (who was then traded for Alex Chiasson).

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I think both teams are happy at this point.
I don't think we ever needed to acquire him and now that we've used assets on him Poile probably tries to make it work by giving him an extension..

I don't really think he was needed at all and his stats and overall play make his case weaker by the day..

So essentially I'm bummed that we paid a premium for him while not gaining much in the offensive territory but he's a solid bottom 6er if he gets offered to be paid like one.

If he doesn't like that, I'm more than happy to let him go to another org that can get offense out of him. NSH isn't a good destination for anyone looking to get more scoring in their game. We spread our goalscoring so much, and our goalscoring has been more or less connected to our D, not necessarily our forwards.

Reactions: zaqq

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Pretty much how I feel, too.

Hartman is consistent, so while we COULD (maybe, perhaps, if we're lucky) have found a gem late in the first round, we now have a young hard-working roster player that can stunt on top lines.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Depends on the odds. Simple as that. It's just calculating values based on historical probabilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad