Confirmed Trade: [NSH/CHI] Ryan Hartman, 2018 5th round for Victor Ejdsell, 2018 1st round, 2018 4th round

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Again, your basis is on a bunch of ifs. I prefer to look at the hear and now. Right here, right now, this is a gross trade. Nothing against the player, but NASH way over paid here. They could have found somebody else for far less and who probably could have done the same job.
"could" "probably"

Surely you see the irony here.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Jeez people really over value a late first. Hartman is a solid player and this makes sense for both sides. Hartman was inconsistent and the hawks have a lot of other players his age that are forwards and that are better. The Hawks really need blue chip prospects rn and thats why they made the trade.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Hartman is worth the late first for the preds. The only thing i would be worried about is how terrible he was in the playoffs last year. Could be rookie playoff jitters tho.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Hartman is worth the late first for the preds. The only thing i would be worried about is how terrible he was in the playoffs last year. Could be rookie playoff jitters tho.

Can you name a Blackhawks player that wasn't terrible in the playoffs last year?

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Not too worried about trading a late 1st and Edjsell. Not much room in the pipeline at center though i think Edjsell has an NHL future. Poile's late 1st picks have been pretty bad outside of Tolvanen. This is now a roster that shouldn't change much for the next few years as all the key pieces are pretty young and team controlled. Probably a slight overpayment but basically all Poile did was fast forward this year's 1st into Hartman who was a 1st rounder 4 years ago.

tankisbad

May 31, 2013
The servers might suck but they bring intangibles and they are handsome and tough. And they played well in the playoff for the Panthers. Good character.

For 4 million, I think they serve a roll.

Reactions: CraigBillington

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Yes, but we're going all in the next few years, a 1st that we'll have to wait around 2-5 years to develop doesn't help us in the playoffs.

The Preds will still be contenders a few years from now, especially if Tolvanen works out. Even if they're on the slight downswing then, that's exactly when they'll most be able to use an injection of fresh talent to extend their window.

Also, if they had kept the pick and used it, they could've still traded the prospect at next year's deadline. Players who are taken in the 1st round of the most recent draft and are still teenagers still hold a lot of value. The prospect that the Preds would've taken could've been flipped or bundled at next year's deadline for a bigger fish than what they just got.

Tolvanen was pretty much a free top 5 pick, having him makes giving up this 1st a lot easier. Not every 1st is going to work out that well.

Tolvanen wasn't free. He was the reward for hanging onto last year's 1st-round pick, even though they were arguably in "win now" mode then, too. Might they have won the Cup if they'd traded that pick for a 3rd liner at the time? They might've, but it's probably unlikely, and that would've probably hurt their chances of winning the Cup this year and the next 5 years, since they wouldn't have Tolvanen. They'll be in "win now" mode for years, as well. It's a bit shortsighted, IMO, to use a major asset to make a very marginal improvement now when it could be used to make a more substantial improvement later in the window.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think hawks win this easy. 23yo or not, 35-40 point guys tend to be available on the trade deadline for free and a first is certainly too much to pay.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Hartman was frustrating for the Hawks this year. And takes stupid penalties at the worst time on a regular basis. Was scratched for some games too. But I think he will flourish with with Nash as Q has mint been good for young players this year. Playing them in wrong positions/lines for success.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I've been one of Hartman's biggest fans. He can play like a total buzz saw, and he's talented enough to play on a second line for stretches. I think he'll be great away from Q, he never seemed like he had a defined role here. If Nashville wants him to play a depth scoring role, I think he'll be fine doing that. If they want a bottom six agitator that occasionally blows someone up in the middle of the ice, he'll be fine doing that. He's young, pretty talented, and plays with heart/edge.

Stupid penalties aside, Nashville fans will like him more than they dislike him. Hate that they traded him within the division. Think the return was worth moving a middle six upside guy though.

Reactions: HITMAN88

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
I don't like how everyone seems to already assume that the 1st going to Chicago is gonna be a late 1st rounder. It could just as easily be in the 16-20 range, in which case this would really hurt, RFA or not.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think Hartman will be a pretty good fit in Nashville.. he's kind of a rat who likes to do a lot of subtle borderline dirty things to win battles. But he also has skill to put up some points.

To me sounds like a player who can help a team in the playoffs. He's still young too and RFA.

Hartman - Bonino - Jarnkrok sounds very intriguing as a 3rd line.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Under the radar really good pickup for the Preds. Versatile, some grit, and skill to play up and down the lineup. Cheap cap number for this year to fit him in easily. I don't think there's any chance the Hawks would've let him go, other than impending RFA status where their Toews/Kane/Seabrook cap catastrophe doesn't really allow them to spend much on those "mid-level" types coming off ELCs. Must have figured they wouldn't be able to work out a deal that fits.

Preds depth is insane now.

Reactions: HITMAN88

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
I don't like how everyone seems to already assume that the 1st going to Chicago is gonna be a late 1st rounder. It could just as easily be in the 16-20 range, in which case this would really hurt, RFA or not.

I don't think that's possible unless they lose every game from here on out. Don't only the 4 conference finalists get bumped to the end of the 1st round? Even if they go out early it would still be a mid 20s pick

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
The player that they would've taken with that 1st round pick could've been in Nashville's system for at least 7 years. Naturally, he could've busted, but he very well could've ended up better than Hartman. Imagine if this trade had occurred a year ago for last year's 1st-round pick. Perhaps it wouldn't have seemed like a steep price at the time, but you would've been giving up Tolvanen for Hartman.

I'm kind of with you. Before the trade the highest I would go with a pick was the second round, which we didn't have. I do think that having drafted Tolvanen last year gave Poile some leeway in trading the first this year (I would have preferred Poile try to find a young defenseman with that pick, but I digress). Mostly, I just don't see where Hartman fits in long term unless he's more productive than Smith or Tolvanen busts in the NHL. Right now he slots in to cover for Hartnell if that third line stops producing well, but if Tolvanen comes over and performs up to a top six standard that would move Smith down to the third line. I'm just not seeing it long-term, and that is apparently part of the reason for the deal in the first place.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Jeez people really over value a late first. Hartman is a solid player and this makes sense for both sides. Hartman was inconsistent and the hawks have a lot of other players his age that are forwards and that are better. The Hawks really need blue chip prospects rn and thats why they made the trade.

I was listening to someone on a sports radio program last week. They were discussing how NHL GMs are placing higher value on their first round picks these days because, with the cap and with good players so rarely coming available in free agency (and when they do they sign outrageous contracts often enough), that first round pick could be the difference between being able to compete for several years and not.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What was Chicagos motivation to trade Hartman? Seems like he should have been part of their future.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
I was listening to someone on a sports radio program last week. They were discussing how NHL GMs are placing higher value on their first round picks these days because, with the cap and with good players so rarely coming available in free agency (and when they do they sign outrageous contracts often enough), that first round pick could be the difference between being able to compete for several years and not.

Chris Johnstone talked about that on the Hockey PDOcast a couple of days ago.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Good for both teams but love it for the Hawks. I like Hartman but we need to be taking risks to hopefully bring in better quality players than Hartman. Great guy to finish off a Cup contender but that’s not where the Hawks are at anymore so good luck to him and Nashville.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
What was Chicagos motivation to trade Hartman? Seems like he should have been part of their future.

Why build around a bottom 6er when you are a last place team? The 1st could turn into a top 6er/top 4 D/No. 1 G. The Hawks need more players like that so they took a chance with the pick and added an intriguing prospect that may replace Hartman someday.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Unfortunately, the Hawks aren’t finding that blue chipper in the late first round. Btw, Hartman was a mid-late first rounder. If the Hawks find another player similar to Hartman with this pick, able to contribute in three years, then it’s a push on the players but a loss overall in the next three years because they won’t have him on the roster contributing right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad