Confirmed Trade: [NSH/CHI] Ryan Hartman, 2018 5th round for Victor Ejdsell, 2018 1st round, 2018 4th round

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Why build around a bottom 6er when you are a last place team? The 1st could turn into a top 6er/top 4 D/No. 1 G. The Hawks need more players like that so they took a chance with the pick and added an intriguing prospect that may replace Hartman someday.

Fair enough. I get it now.

notheroic

Aug 2, 2005
Fort McMurray, AB
This was a good deal. Hate to see Hartman go, but Hinostroza out played him since his callup by a wide margin playing in the similar type role. He played himself out of the lineup and took stupid penalties. That being said, I did love the grit he played with and he does have untapped skill and he'll be missed. But Chicago got a lot of good for him with the 1st and the big Swedish C who looks good in the SEL right now.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
After chewing on it for awhile I'm not so upset with the trade. Really needed ? No. But he will be entering his prime during the cup window and will hopefully be relatively cheap to retain.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Love Hartman, but we’re pretty set in the top 9 going forward, and I’d rather have a 1st than Hartman on the 4th line.

Unfortunately, the Hawks aren’t finding that blue chipper in the late first round. Btw, Hartman was a mid-late first rounder. If the Hawks find another player similar to Hartman with this pick, able to contribute in three years, then it’s a push on the players but a loss overall in the next three years because they won’t have him on the roster contributing right now.
That’s kinda disingenuous. Hartman was taken 30th overall, not even close to a mid 1st.

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017
Unfortunately, the Hawks aren’t finding that blue chipper in the late first round. Btw, Hartman was a mid-late first rounder. If the Hawks find another player similar to Hartman with this pick, able to contribute in three years, then it’s a push on the players but a loss overall in the next three years because they won’t have him on the roster contributing right now.

No, Hartman was a 30th. Your assessment leaves out Ejdjdjdjsell.

I don't understand this trades cost makes no sense for them to pay that.

Agreed. I think that's why Stan took it.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Think I saw where Poile said today he wasn't impressed with this year's draft class so it might explain why he went this way. Also kind of wonder if Chicago ended up with the first because we didn't have second and Poile said screw it.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
The Preds core and depth is locked in long term. They do not need a first round pick 4-5 years away. They need a young, cost-controlled forward now. They got that.

The cost was higher than expected, but a 23 yo forward who hit 19 goals as a rookie will not come cheap regardless. The Hawks rightly requested a first round pick for Nashville because the odds of the first round pick even being Hartman are minuscle.

This is not a rental. This is a controllable asset with 4 more years of control and likely a cost-efficient one at that. The value of Hartman should the Preds decide to walk away/trade him after this season will be at least a 2nd round pick, probably a similar ask: first round pick.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
I think a lot of people are missing the "23-year old RFA" tag, but it's not a cheap pick-up either. Fine with it given how good we look right now; Poile has done very well for us generally and has earned my trust.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

That's probably true. Realistically, the Hawks should be more than happy to find a Hartman-calibre player with that late 1st they acquired for him. After all, like you said...Hartman himself was a pretty successful late 1st rounder.

However...as an impending RFA, the Hawks in their cap nightmare probably can't afford to pay a "decent middle-6 guy" like Hartman off his ELC. With a pair of 30pt seasons and a 19G year under his belt, he'd have been looking for at least $2.5M+ on his next deal. Probably entering well on the rich side of $3M. The Hawks can't afford that on a supporting player because of the mess they're in. So they deal him, hit the "reset" button on that all-important ELC...and hope like crazy that whoever they draft with that late-1st can pitch in value on their ELC. And hope that bargain bin reclamation projects and other young prospects mature and contribute on their own ELCs in the meantime to bridge the gap.

Reactions: TitansVolsPreds615

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Meh, not a fan of trading with a minor rival and providing them with a better line up going into the playoffs. As for the return, it's reasonable, hopefully Ejdsell is a new Bratt or something and comes in next season and blows everyone away. A 1st is nice, been a while since we had two of those going into a draft. Now let us all hope NAS falls to a WC spot and gets eliminated in the first round.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Good return for the Hawks. I personally don't value any picks past the top-20 as all THAT valuable, though still a good return for a player who wasn't fitting the system. Ejdsell should be good.

As for the Preds, I'm perfectly fine with using a late 1st on the RFA Hartman. He'll replace Hartnell going into next season.

As mentioned, the Preds core is set for a few years now. We'll have to get Ellis under contract during next season and Josi within two seasons. Johansen, Forsberg, Arvidsson, Turris, Subban, and Ekholm are locked in for a long time. Rinne is the only wildcard as he is up at the end of next season (that $7 mil contract the Preds got trashed for doesn't look all that bad).

Future is bright in Nashville.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
future is very bright in nashville. Hawks will use this next 1st to move up or help shed a bad contract to get back on track. Dont hate it from either side.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
future is very bright in nashville. Hawks will use this next 1st to move up or help shed a bad contract to get back on track. Dont hate it from either side.

what bad contract? Teows? Seabs will cost more then a 1st. Actually next year we are in good cap shape. I'm guessing we do not dump contracts until 2019 off season.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I don't understand this trades cost makes no sense for them to pay that.

Meh it's a typical deadline day overpayment, but not really egregious (it's definitely not a 1st-for-Gaustad-type situation). Poile's only real hole was at third line winger and third pairing defense, and even then it wasn't so much that he had holes as it was he could stand to upgrade those positions. Considering Poile has been one of the best, if not the best, trading GMs in the league over the past few years, I'd imagine he had his reasons for paying what he did.

helicon1

Jan 4, 2010
Was initially disappointed when I'd heard Hartman was traded, even if value-wise this seems like a no-brainer. Hartman has had a rough year but I put at least some of that on Q. He's been all over the place in terms of linemates and line. They've tried forcing him at center too, which doesn't really suit his strengths or play-style. Organizationally, there seemed to be attempt to square peg-round hole (a Joel Quennville special) him into an Shaw role which made no sense (hes much more talented than that for starters). So yeah, that didn't help either. Think he'll be a good third-liner in Nashville.

Good return for the Hawks. I personally don't value any picks past the top-20 as all THAT valuable, though still a good return for a player who wasn't fitting the system. Ejdsell should be good.

As for the Preds, I'm perfectly fine with using a late 1st on the RFA Hartman. He'll replace Hartnell going into next season.

As mentioned, the Preds core is set for a few years now. We'll have to get Ellis under contract during next season and Josi within two seasons. Johansen, Forsberg, Arvidsson, Turris, Subban, and Ekholm are locked in for a long time. Rinne is the only wildcard as he is up at the end of next season (that $7 mil contract the Preds got trashed for doesn't look all that bad).

Future is bright in Nashville.

In general I agree that picks after 20 are not super valuable, but Bowman has been really good with those types of picks. Although it's as likely Bowman trades the pick as uses it, it would be a little disappointing if he didn't pick someone as good or better than Hartman. 4 of the 5 non-Hartman firsts he's picked are better than him. There's also a TBD in Jokiharju, who at least has more value. Even if it becomes #31, he's been really good with the few early 2nd rounders he's had too (Saad and Debrincat).

That's probably true. Realistically, the Hawks should be more than happy to find a Hartman-calibre player with that late 1st they acquired for him. After all, like you said...Hartman himself was a pretty successful late 1st rounder.

However...as an impending RFA, the Hawks in their cap nightmare probably can't afford to pay a "decent middle-6 guy" like Hartman off his ELC. With a pair of 30pt seasons and a 19G year under his belt, he'd have been looking for at least $2.5M+ on his next deal. Probably entering well on the rich side of $3M. The Hawks can't afford that on a supporting player because of the mess they're in. So they deal him, hit the "reset" button on that all-important ELC...and hope like crazy that whoever they draft with that late-1st can pitch in value on their ELC. And hope that bargain bin reclamation projects and other young prospects mature and contribute on their own ELCs in the meantime to bridge the gap.

Hartman won't get that much, more likely in the 1.5-2 range. Even if not, the cap had little to do with this trade anyway. If the cap doesn't go up the Hawks have 10 million in space with 16 players signed and 4 RFAs. None of the RFAs, should make much more than they already do. Feels strange to be in a good spot cap-wise. Anyway, from the Hawks perspective I don't think the trade was any more complicated than another team overpaying for what the Hawks thought was an expendable asset. They have plenty of young wingers.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Given Chicago seems to have taken a step back I figure they'd keep Hartman let alone trade him to a rival. ? trade here IMO.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
love this return for the Hawks and don't think Hartman will be missed, honestly.. he is a very replaceable player.

Reactions: icekoob

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Given Chicago seems to have taken a step back I figure they'd keep Hartman let alone trade him to a rival. ? trade here IMO.
Hawks have a lot of prospect depth on the wings. Hayden can probably step in and fill Hartman's spot right now.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I see this as win win now trade.

Hawks get Futures and hopefully it turns out while the Preds add depth to their Cup Run. Getting Tolvanen last year made it easier to move this years 1st.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Following up on this trade, Hawks took Philipp Kurashev 5th round and at #27 Dman Nicolas Beaudin while they passed up on Sandin and Veleno.

Hartman is on the 4th line in Nashville it appears, but producing decent with 9 goals in 37 games, on pace for 20 goals and 9 assists in 82 games this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad