North Bay Battalion 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
Stan may have to do more scouting himself.....he seems to have an eye for talent....scouts..not so sure...we seem to bypass gems....not the Soo though...

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
Looks like the Troop prospects were not on anybody's radar this time around.

Lyle is now in the company of other 1st round picks that were passed over in the last 5 NHL drafts , Poirier, McIvor, Blake Clarke, Brandon Robinson and to a lesser degree as he was drafted a year later McKenzie.

"Houston we have a problem"

too_long

Oct 24, 2006
European Draft

European draft tomorrow..I believe we pick 7th. It would sure be nice to hit a home run here.:handclap:

Rooster

Jan 28, 2016
Stan may have to do more scouting himself.....he seems to have an eye for talent....scouts..not so sure...we seem to bypass gems....not the Soo though...

The Battalion don't seem to notice many players if any West of the GTA. The GOJHL is loaded with talent that the west teams have no room for, why doesnt the Battalion at least give them a look before they head off to the Q or other leagues?

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Indeed. Seems like either he can only get 2nd round talent to report or the scouts are awful.

Go back further to find a 1st rounder drafted to the NHL in his 1st draft opportunity. Sam Carrick in 2010....

i know it sucks now but there are alot of factors involved here....top players more than ever decide where they want to play and agents make that clear to teams prior to ohl draft. so sometimes teams are handcuffed for players they can pick or take a chance on a noshow. north bay is one of the teams effected by this so wouldnt say its scouting its location program etc $$$ its getting worse and worse im afraid. ohl had to make a rule to commit to ohl prior to draft and if they dont report sit out 2 yrs so "certain" teams dont always pickup these guys poor for league parity imho

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
European draft tomorrow..I believe we pick 7th. It would sure be nice to hit a home run here.:handclap:

I'm not sure how it works (if pro teams work out who drafts who), but RW Ostap Safin would be a phenomenal pickup for us. He's a big power forward with a good shot. If the Oilers don't have him linked to the Oil Kings, he's a guy I'd target at #7.

Greatger

May 11, 2007
Lyle is invited to Ducks camp which is next week. There is no ice to be found anywhere in North Bay so Stan drove Brady to Toronto to get some ice time. He hasn't skated for 5 weeks.
Note: Edmonton also contacted him and is interested in him but Anaheim has his pre-draft rights currently.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
Lyle is invited to Ducks camp which is next week. There is no ice to be found anywhere in North Bay so Stan drove Brady to Toronto to get some ice time. He hasn't skated for 5 weeks.
Note: Edmonton also contacted him and is interested in him but Anaheim has his pre-draft rights currently.

It will be a great experience for him, and a FA skate is better than a kick in the arse with a frozen boot.
The Oilers & Ducks had 7 selections to pick him, & didn't , cant be that interested.
Question, why does a player slip in the draft as far as he did ?

Greatger

May 11, 2007
It will be a great experience for him, and a FA skate is better than a kick in the arse with a frozen boot.
The Oilers & Ducks had 7 selections to pick him, & didn't , cant be that interested.
Question, why does a player slip in the draft as far as he did ?

Through no fault of any individual player, not making the playoffs didn't help any of them plus that fact the Brady was hurt twice last season. Being on a Butler based defence first system and not making the playoffs made the Scouts look at their choices for their selection in defenceman. This is what dropped his status from 43 to not being selected at all. There is no double that he is good player and possibly Anaheim might even request to have him move up and play forward. Will this happen under Butler's thumb. Time will tell.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
Through no fault of any individual player, not making the playoffs didn't help any of them plus that fact the Brady was hurt twice last season. Being on a Butler based defence first system and not making the playoffs made the Scouts look at their choices for their selection in defenceman. This is what dropped his status from 43 to not being selected at all. There is no double that he is good player and possibly Anaheim might even request to have him move up and play forward. Will this happen under Butler's thumb. Time will tell.

Injury & Butler's system yes, making the playoffs don't think so.
They draft players not teams, Guelph had 4 players drafted, with no playoffs.
Forward might be a good option for him, cant be any worse than the ones the Troops have now.

Greatger

May 11, 2007
Injury & Butler's system yes, making the playoffs don't think so.
They draft players not teams, Guelph had 4 players drafted, with no playoffs.
Forward might be a good option for him, cant be any worse than the ones the Troops have now.
Just answering your question as to why the drop off. This is what I was told. Guelph might not have made the playoffs but they played a better defensive game in a much tougher division than we are in.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Moving to North Bay in a month, big hockey fan and excited to finally be able to watch some OHL hockey! Done some research and have some of my own opinions but wanted to hear from some locals about things to look forward to about the Battalion and North Bay in terms of hockey.

Gr8northscout

Aug 29, 2012
Ontario
You guys kill me. I'm laughing at your repeated excuses blaming Butler's system on why this happened and why this didn't happen.
You watch NHL hockey and the analyst are always harping that new players to the league have to get used to playing better defensively yet you guys believe learning this in Junior is a detriment to their skill, a detriment to their draft position, a detriment to their development......puke, puke, puke.:shakehead

What's next? Butler's system is to blame for choosing their girlfriend?

Greatger

May 11, 2007
You guys kill me. I'm laughing at your repeated excuses blaming Butler's system on why this happened and why this didn't happen.
You watch NHL hockey and the analyst are always harping that new players to the league have to get used to playing better defensively yet you guys believe learning this in Junior is a detriment to their skill, a detriment to their draft position, a detriment to their development......puke, puke, puke.:shakehead

Finally you are understanding the concept of hockey. Took you long enough

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Good riddance 14. May your constant selfish penalties be accepted by your new team. As for 25 I had high hopes for him last year and I'm sure with a healthy stable of D last season he would have found himself in the press box. Hopefully Shoe can have a great season and get signed by the Sharks

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016

Its well known that Poirier asked for a trade, because of Butler, like it or not.
Poirier was better as a 16 year old, so the "System" didn't help him.

https://www.baytoday.ca/sports/batt...st-rounder-out-in-big-trade-with-storm-655023

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Good riddance 14. May your constant selfish penalties be accepted by your new team. As for 25 I had high hopes for him last year and I'm sure with a healthy stable of D last season he would have found himself in the press box. Hopefully Shoe can have a great season and get signed by the Sharks

Man, looks like we got a couple of real gems coming to the Royal City!

Enjoy the Lukes. Hard workers...may not be gifted in the finishing department, but they won't leave you wanting more effort! Coach Stan will like them I am sure.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Its well known that Poirier asked for a trade, because of Butler, like it or not.
Poirier was better as a 16 year old, so the "System" didn't help him.

https://www.baytoday.ca/sports/batt...st-rounder-out-in-big-trade-with-storm-655023

"The system" hasn't held back guys like Amadio, Paul or McKenzie. Poirier is just a kid with a severe lack of hockey sense. I like the chances of Shoemaker turning it around in Guelph as an OA but Poirier better be prepared for some bottom six hockey.

Greatger

May 11, 2007
Last edited:

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
You are 100% correct. I just hope that McMaster keeps playing his game or he will get ruined by Butler's system also.
Question is, where is Bruce going ?

Good question , the problem with Bruce is what team wants/needs him ? not sure of what value he would bring at this point.
Might be time to clean house, go young & rebuild.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
adding this to thread....the NJ kid Mandleur who stood out at orientation..is retweeting U of Vermont hockey sched.....suspect he is not coming here..certainly not retweeting \Batt sched...maybe next year if college does not work out....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad