North Bay Battalion 2015-16 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greatger

May 11, 2007
There was a goal waived off when Wood was pushed (not sure who the Barrie player was)into Blackwood and Amadio scored which would have given him the natural hatrick and making the score 3-0.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Can't anyone else step up and score a goal on this team? So one dimensional. Half the roster had 1 shot or less on goal in 65 minutes of hockey.

And why, Stan, were 21-16-17 on the ice with 2 minutes left in a 2-1 must win game?? ( shakes head)

guy97

from sarnia
Apr 16, 2015
Can't anyone else step up and score a goal on this team? So one dimensional. Half the roster had 1 shot or less on goal in 65 minutes of hockey.

And why, Stan, were 21-16-17 on the ice with 2 minutes left in a 2-1 must win game?? ( shakes head)

:laugh:ya really stan wake up.:sarcasm:

BobbyStokers9713

Mar 23, 2016
i know fans are upset about being down 2-0 in the series, but you guys have something to look forward to next year in mason snell. steal in the third round, figured he would be going early second, but hes a smart defenseman. hopefully stan finds room for him on the roster next year.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
North Bay product Colton Point makes a huge jump in Central Scouting's final rankings.

6'4 goalie playing for Carleton Place Canadiens is the fourth ranked NA goaltender in the 2016 draft.

His OHL rights belong to Erie but he's committed to Colgate University for the 2017-18 season. Maybe Stan could work his magic and swing a deal for his rights and convince him to play his junior years at home. :naughty:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
McKenzie, Poirier and Kislinger, especially...dump and chase...DUMP AND CHASE!!!

How many turnovers at the opponent's blue-line will it take for them to figure that out?

MadMax

Nov 10, 2015
My family & I are coming up for Thursday's game from T.O. & as first timers to the Gardens can anyone please tell us where is there parking closest to gate 2 off of Chippewa St.

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
Post-game 3 radio media scrum - or, insights into the coaching style of Stan Butler:

When asked about the team’s performance: “Think of this team as riders on a big tandem bicycle - four players have been doing the hard peddling all season (Amadio, Santos, Wood, Smith). The others have been enjoying the ride those four have provided while they go through the motions.â€

STHs who have watched this team since the start might think of that comment as a bit harsh. There are a lot of rookies on this team who have worked hard each shift but perhaps lack the talent or development of the opposition. Getting past the Petes will likely be the main achievement this season and the ‘big 4’ didn’t do it entirely by themselves. This team is the end result of the selections made by the Battalion scouts and coaches, so if some feel that certain players are not pulling their weight, that blame should be shared. STHs still think about the wisdom of the Liberati trade as well.

When asked about how he intends to motivate his players for game 4: “Look, this isn’t the NOJHL - they’re not going to be playing in front of 200 people in Cochrane. Some of these players will soon be playing in front of 18,000 people. These are players who want to make a living playing hockey so they shouldn’t need motivation to play well.â

ok then.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
...could Bairds harsh treatment be in some mnds???...he would keep Colts honest and the freewheeling would be nipped in the bud while their head was on a swivel...certainly Porier hit was not answered...

Greatger

May 11, 2007
Post-game 3 radio media scrum - or, insights into the coaching style of Stan Butler:

When asked about the team’s performance: “Think of this team as riders on a big tandem bicycle - four players have been doing the hard peddling all season (Amadio, Santos, Wood, Smith). The others have been enjoying the ride those four have provided while they go through the motions.â€

STHs who have watched this team since the start might think of that comment as a bit harsh. There are a lot of rookies on this team who have worked hard each shift but perhaps lack the talent or development of the opposition. Getting past the Petes will likely be the main achievement this season and the ‘big 4’ didn’t do it entirely by themselves. This team is the end result of the selections made by the Battalion scouts and coaches, so if some feel that certain players are not pulling their weight, that blame should be shared. STHs still think about the wisdom of the Liberati trade as well.

When asked about how he intends to motivate his players for game 4: “Look, this isn’t the NOJHL - they’re not going to be playing in front of 200 people in Cochrane. Some of these players will soon be playing in front of 18,000 people. These are players who want to make a living playing hockey so they shouldn’t need motivation to play well.â€

ok then.

I totally agree. I think what did it for me was when Stanley didn't make any major trades. To me he threw in the towel and just went with what he had. The Liberati trade did nothing but screw up the defense. I watched London/Kitchener the other night and counted 4 times Liberati was actually on the ice, so did Kitchener need him ? Is he hurt ? Should have kept him in the Bay.
And with the Priority draft they drafted some forwards in the first few rounds.
Also, we knew scoring was going to be difficult this year and next year it will be worse. Have a strange feeling next year will be the 1st year of the 3 year cycle.
Stanley has made some questionable decisions this year which hasn't helped the younger players develop properly for next season when they will be counted on.

too_long

Oct 24, 2006
I totally agree. I think what did it for me was when Stanley didn't make any major trades. To me he threw in the towel and just went with what he had. The Liberati trade did nothing but screw up the defense. I watched London/Kitchener the other night and counted 4 times Liberati was actually on the ice, so did Kitchener need him ? Is he hurt ? Should have kept him in the Bay.
Also, we knew scoring was going to be difficult this year and next year it will be worse. Have a strange feeling next year will be the 1st year of the 3 year cycle.
Stanley has made some questionable decisions this year which hasn't helped the younger players develop properly for next season when they will be counted on.

Or you could look at it the other way and say we got 6 home playoff games in the first year of a cycle..depends if you are a glass half full or half empty person.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
My family & I are coming up for Thursday's game from T.O. & as first timers to the Gardens can anyone please tell us where is there parking closest to gate 2 off of Chippewa St.

The arena has a free parking lot. If you get there early enough an attendant could help you out. Either way its not that big and you'll find your way once inside.

Hub

Apr 13, 2016

Do you think that adding one of Dal Colle or konecny would really push us deep enough to make a serious run at it? Cause I can say 100% NO. "Stanley" had a good deadline. He traded away an O/A player who would be gone after this year and got picks to build for 2017 and beyond. We would have traded away picks and most likely a young prospect for one of those two players to turn around and add to the already growing number of offense that's leaving us next season. The 2015-16 Battalion is a rebuilding team who over achieved expectations of ALL critics and many fans. I really want to know if you, Greatger, believed this team could win it all after training camp and again at the deadline. Also every other OHL reporting personal believed we were in a rebuild at the deadline or else Amadio / Smith / Santos and Wood's name would not be involved in SOOOO many trade talks and rumors.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
i was there last night same thing brutal nb has one line cant win only amadio,santos.:shakehead

Yep...this. You might want to add Smith though. I have been impressed by the some of the younger guys but at this point they just don't match the depth of the Colts...and that's without two key players.

If its any consolation, the knights will put the Colts in their place if they get that far.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Or you could look at it the other way and say we got 6 home playoff games in the first year of a cycle..depends if you are a glass half full or half empty person.
Good point, I was thinking the same thing. We'd sure take that here in Sudbury.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
...could Bairds harsh treatment be in some mnds???...he would keep Colts honest and the freewheeling would be nipped in the bud while their head was on a swivel...certainly Porier hit was not answered...

That's a good point. I also noticed no one came to his defence and tried to put Lizotte in his place.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Aside from the obvious lack of experience on this young Battalion team, I think they are missing the "agitator" Miller/Henriksson type of player, particularly against this Colts team. Hawerchuk has got his team playing with discipline ie: Carbonnara skating away after Shankar took a bad, selfish penalty on the slash. You could see in the late stages of the third that the Troops were able to get under their skin a bit.

In the end I believe this Troops team has over-achieved making the 2nd round as most saw them as fightining for a playoff spot. Stan has done his job remarkably well considering the hand he had to play, the experience gained by 18 returning players will be invaluable in coming seasons and also kept the owner happy with 6 (at least) home playoff dates.

I don't know he exact numbers but we as fans have been spoiled over the first 3 Battalion seasons in North Bay with 6 playoff series wins over that time. My Quick math says that's the most if any team in the league over that timeframe (maybe Erie has more)

Regardless, looking forward to game 6 tomorrow and next season and beyond.

Go Troops Go!!!

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016

I'm sensing that even a team like the 84/85 Greyhounds (33-0 at home) would still give you something to complain about. I believe Hamilton has a vacant coaching position, throw your name in the hat. :yo::yo:

And just remember, "Stanley" leaves more hockey knowledge in his toilet after his morning crunch than you possess fine sir.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad