North Bay Battalion 2015-16 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyHuggins

Mar 17, 2015
I'm sensing that even a team like the 84/85 Greyhounds (33-0 at home) would still give you something to complain about. I believe Hamilton has a vacant coaching position, throw your name in the hat. :yo::yo:

And just remember, "Stanley" leaves more hockey knowledge in his toilet after his morning crunch than you possess fine sir.

LOL....Well said!!!

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
:You can talk about trades,players,coaching all you want, but last nights game was a display of SKILL vs SIZE.... same as the Soo game back in January, where NBay barley touched the puck, big bodies cant be your only player evaluation (Green and Sherman).....the game has change since Butler's rookie season, the TRAP/DUMP game prevents you from being blowen out, but will never be enough to WIN against the teams from the West or Barrie, and to now draft skill is great, but what good will that do if the new kids are forced to TRAP/DUMP/CHASE ?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I totally agree. I think what did it for me was when Stanley didn't make any major trades. To me he threw in the towel and just went with what he had. The Liberati trade did nothing but screw up the defense. I watched London/Kitchener the other night and counted 4 times Liberati was actually on the ice, so did Kitchener need him ? Is he hurt ? Should have kept him in the Bay.
And with the Priority draft they drafted some forwards in the first few rounds.
Also, we knew scoring was going to be difficult this year and next year it will be worse. Have a strange feeling next year will be the 1st year of the 3 year cycle.
Stanley has made some questionable decisions this year which hasn't helped the younger players develop properly for next season when they will be counted on.

He did what he could after no one was willing to ante up on Wood/Amadio. If you remember correctly, I was pro-trade. But seeing Amadio set the goal record and carry the team through Peterborough definitely softened the blow. Also, the Liberati trade was a good move. He got most of the picks back that he spent on Moutrey. And with Dineen breaking out, Liberati was expendable. The only criticism I have of his deadline is not filling the last OA spot. Heuther was a beast in the playoffs last year. And with the obvious lack of forward depth in the playoffs, not filling that spot just hurts.

Post-game 3 radio media scrum - or, insights into the coaching style of Stan Butler:

When asked about the team’s performance: “Think of this team as riders on a big tandem bicycle - four players have been doing the hard peddling all season (Amadio, Santos, Wood, Smith). The others have been enjoying the ride those four have provided while they go through the motions.”

STHs who have watched this team since the start might think of that comment as a bit harsh. There are a lot of rookies on this team who have worked hard each shift but perhaps lack the talent or development of the opposition. Getting past the Petes will likely be the main achievement this season and the ‘big 4’ didn’t do it entirely by themselves. This team is the end result of the selections made by the Battalion scouts and coaches, so if some feel that certain players are not pulling their weight, that blame should be shared. STHs still think about the wisdom of the Liberati trade as well.

When asked about how he intends to motivate his players for game 4: “Look, this isn’t the NOJHL - they’re not going to be playing in front of 200 people in Cochrane. Some of these players will soon be playing in front of 18,000 people. These are players who want to make a living playing hockey so they shouldn’t need motivation to play well.”

ok then.

I think this is a message to the guys that should be carrying some of the load, not the rookies. Brett McKenzie and Zach Poirier are two guys who should be contributing in all areas of the game at this point in their junior careers, but the lack of improvement from either of them is astounding. Play after play from them just dying in the neutral zone. Pretty easy to see why Brett was passed over last year and why Zach has fallen off the radar of Central Scouting. Riley Bruce is playing some pretty bad hockey right now too after seeing some improvement during the regular season.

On the positive side of things, we may have a player in Justin Brazeau. He's beginning to look confident out there and if he works on his offensive game this summer, we could have a power-forward on our hands next year.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
drafting speed and skill in frst two picks may be a sign of a philosophical change from big heavy hockey to speed/skill lie the \Soo..fastest team I saw this year.....hitting is being taken out of the league as seen by phantom head shots being called and hitters being suspended out......nothing wrong wth that if you do not draft hiting behemoths for forwards...

MartyHuggins

Mar 17, 2015
:You can talk about trades,players,coaching all you want, but last nights game was a display of SKILL vs SIZE.... same as the Soo game back in January, where NBay barley touched the puck, big bodies cant be your only player evaluation (Green and Sherman).....the game has change since Butler's rookie season, the TRAP/DUMP game prevents you from being blowen out, but will never be enough to WIN against the teams from the West or Barrie, and to now draft skill is great, but what good will that do if the new kids are forced to TRAP/DUMP/CHASE ?

If North Bay plays such a trap, why did they give up a breakaway goal last night and another 2 on 1 when Wood couldn't get back? Why are the shots against not lower? Butler tries to stress a defense first mentality, Goodrow, Paul, Amadio get back and take care of their own end first. Zach Bratina had (12 goals in 12 games before retiring).
I thought last year's series against Oshawa, was the best playoff round I seen in the three years. We lost game 2, 1-0, against a stacked team. If we had to win that won, the series was over...yet we lost to the Memorial Cup champs. I seen what coaching does or doesn't do to Jr teams after Templeton left, glad Stan is our Man!!!

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
drafting speed and skill in frst two picks may be a sign of a philosophical change from big heavy hockey to speed/skill lie the \Soo..fastest team I saw this year.....hitting is being taken out of the league as seen by phantom head shots being called and hitters being suspended out......nothing wrong wth that if you do not draft hiting behemoths for forwards...

It's very true. You see smaller guys like Mangiapane or Salituro thrive because they're highly skilled and tenacious on the puck. No matter what the size, it's important to have the ability to play the game at a high level.

But on the other hand, having bigger forwards with the ability to protect the puck helps establish the cycle in the offensive zone. The Perlini-Verhaeghe-whoever line in Niagara gave us fits in the first two years in North Bay. They protected the puck very well, they knew where to be and they knew where their teammates were going to be. Whenever they setup, it was a guaranteed scoring chance and routinely a goal.

We've already got some big forwards in McKenzie, Brazeau, Potts and Ball next year so supplementing them with some skilled guys is a good way to soften the blow of losing Amadio and Santos' offense next year.

BattCents

Apr 6, 2016
Well despite the terrible (and quite embarrassing as a fellow North Bayite actually) negativity by some on this board I have thoroughly enjoyed watching these kids play this year and develop as the season progressed. Once again they were not given a chance in competing for the top spots and were expected to barely make the playoffs, same as last year. But look at that, a third consecutive top 3 finish. Next year may be a bit of an off year but then again maybe not, I'm sure no expert but I am grateful Mr Butler is at the helm. I am looking forward to signing up for another 3 year commitment and watch this group develop. Now let's get a win in game 4 and avoid a sweep.

Glassnout

Aug 27, 2013
You can't compete against a team like Barrie with 8-9 rookies on your roster, and Chenier with only 9 games under his belt.
Hargrave's injury did not help us. He was starting to hit the scoresheet consistently towards the end of the year and was a great puck pursuit guy. I hope he is back next year for us.

I agree with most posts that this group overachieved this year. The 2 rounds of playoffs this year was a great learning bonus for these guys.

I really like this group going forward. Ball is a beautiful skater - he'll be a great player for us. Chenier, although not big, plays balls out every shift. Kislinger has a great shot, good speed. Potts and Brazeau will get stronger and be great players for us.

I love Shankar's game of late. Never thought I'd say that but he has really stepped up this playoffs. Shoemaker is a McIvor type solid stay at home guy. Dineen, well he's Dineen - enough said.

Lyle will be great. I love that he is making mistakes this year. He's a smart kid and is learning with each one.

Going to miss watching Amadio out there though. He's the best Battalion player I have seen in 3 years - hands down.

Greatger

May 11, 2007
I'm sensing that even a team like the 84/85 Greyhounds (33-0 at home) would still give you something to complain about. I believe Hamilton has a vacant coaching position, throw your name in the hat. :yo::yo:

And just remember, "Stanley" leaves more hockey knowledge in his toilet after his morning crunch than you possess fine sir.

Oh boy......another newby to the site thinking they know it all.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
You can't compete against a team like Barrie with 8-9 rookies on your roster, and Chenier with only 9 games under his belt.
Hargrave's injury did not help us. He was starting to hit the scoresheet consistently towards the end of the year and was a great puck pursuit guy. I hope he is back next year for us.

I agree with most posts that this group overachieved this year. The 2 rounds of playoffs this year was a great learning bonus for these guys.

I really like this group going forward. Ball is a beautiful skater - he'll be a great player for us. Chenier, although not big, plays balls out every shift. Kislinger has a great shot, good speed. Potts and Brazeau will get stronger and be great players for us.

I love Shankar's game of late. Never thought I'd say that but he has really stepped up this playoffs. Shoemaker is a McIvor type solid stay at home guy. Dineen, well he's Dineen - enough said.

Lyle will be great. I love that he is making mistakes this year. He's a smart kid and is learning with each one.

Going to miss watching Amadio out there though. He's the best Battalion player I have seen in 3 years - hands down.

Agreed, that Barrie has older team, and should win based on that, but in fact will be rebuilding next year also. However have to say that i dont see the skill base of the players you mentioned to be a Amadio or Paul, so while we will have some decent players, dont see any one from the current group being the MAN next season.

Hub

Apr 13, 2016
Agreed, that Barrie has older team, and should win based on that, but in fact will be rebuilding next year also. However have to say that i dont see the skill base of the players you mentioned to be a Amadio or Paul, so while we will have some decent players, dont see any one from the current group being the MAN next season.

I 100% agree we do not have an Amadio or Paul in the lineup for next year, but McKenzie is on his way to be like a Goodrow.

Goodrow stats: 09-10(Rookie year) - 65GP / 6G / 13A / 19PTS / -4
10-11 - 65GP / 24G / 15A / 39PTS / -3
11-12 - 60GP / 26G / 26A / 52PTS / +14
12-13 - 62GP / 38G / 14A / 52PTS / -2
13-14(O/A Year) - 63GP / 33G / 34A / 67PTS / +18

McKenzie Stats: 13-14(Rookie Year) - 63GP / 13G / 10A / 23PTS / 0
14-15 - 68GP / 11G / 21A / 32PTS / +8
15-16 - 66GP / 26G / 27A / 53PTS / +1

As you can see very similar stats. If McKenzie continues to grow and starts to step up like he needs to in big situations I really think he can be someone we rely on for the next two years. Plus when Poirier realizes that it's his year to become one of the go to guys I think he will become very dangerous (Stan can really get the best out of the players he hopes to rely on). As well as Braz and Potts who have grown immensely in 1 short year. Our biggest off season need may be to go find a 97 Birth Year goalie to mentor Woroniuk to be the future net minder of this team. And finally go out and get a "Ben Thompson" to add support for McKenzie on the top line.

too_long

Oct 24, 2006
Well despite the terrible (and quite embarrassing as a fellow North Bayite actually) negativity by some on this board I have thoroughly enjoyed watching these kids play this year and develop as the season progressed. Once again they were not given a chance in competing for the top spots and were expected to barely make the playoffs, same as last year. But look at that, a third consecutive top 3 finish. Next year may be a bit of an off year but then again maybe not, I'm sure no expert but I am grateful Mr Butler is at the helm. I am looking forward to signing up for another 3 year commitment and watch this group develop. Now let's get a win in game 4 and avoid a sweep.

Hey- quit making so much sense:handclap:

BattCents

Apr 6, 2016
Here's to Posterman's prediction :cheers:....I really need an excuse to get out from under this snow for a day saturday.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016

Agree with you on all points.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016

Agree with you on all points.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
What I don't understand is why 12-17-26 are able to freewheel in our end time after time. They won't be quite so brave if they're getting drilled every time they are in our zone.

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
Why did Stan overwork his number one goalie in the playoffs. Look at his save percentage. How can one of your players get a star. He was minus four on the night. No points either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad