Norris Finalists: Doughty, Hedman, Subban

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Well, he's swedish, but he's lost approx 2 Norris's to two canadian players - one to DD "who was due" and had something like 40-ish less points, and one to Burns who "had an historic goal scoring pace" during the autumn, triggered and pushed by canadian media. So, in a sense, he got robbed of 2 Norrises. But it's not that weird. North American media and GMs are the voters.

On topic, Hedman should win this, but DD will
LOL, how many Norris Trophies did Nick Lidstrom win?

Wasn't aware he was from Etobicoke!! That good old Canadian bias making sure Lidstrom won a slew of Norris trophies.

No surprise you are saying this stuff considering where YOU are from, bias indeed.

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
LOL, how many Norris Trophies did Nick Lidstrom win?

Wasn't aware he was from Etobicoke!! That good old Canadian bias making sure Lidstrom won a slew of Norris trophies.

No surprise you are saying this stuff considering where YOU are from, bias indeed.

I agree that the bias story lines are crazy. I think it has more to do with whatever the media decides is the best story one single season, because no matter how we twist and turn it they are the ones voting. Lidstrom was well liked, an obvious outlier in the way he played the game and disgustingly good everywhere which made it hard for the media to not like him. But he obviously both got some sketchy runner ups and even a norris he probably shouldnt have won. I think it evens out in the end even if people only wants to remember the arguably obvious steals. The chance of a north american defenseman having an exciting media friendly season is bigger than a european having it purely from a number standpoint since there are more north american high level players.

Not saying that I agree with the last couple years votings, but blaming it on bias is to me a bit dumb.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I agree that the bias story lines are crazy. I think it has more to do with whatever the media decides is the best story one single season, because no matter how we twist and turn it they are the ones voting. Lidstrom was well liked, an obvious outlier in the way he played the game and disgustingly good everywhere which made it hard for the media to not like him. But he obviously both got some sketchy runner ups and even a norris he probably shouldnt have won. I think it evens out in the end even if people only wants to remember the arguably obvious steals. The chance of a north american defenseman having an exciting media friendly season is bigger than a european having it purely from a number standpoint since there are more north american high level players.

Not saying that I agree with the last couple years votings, but blaming it on bias is to me a bit dumb.

Good post.

The thing here is that for all the claims of bias the poster makes here he is guilty of the same thing, both in that post and so many others in the past. A quick glance at his posting history on this board especially in GDT's in international tournaments would tell anyone all they need to know about that.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Karlsson is Swedish and unfairly lost two Norrisses to the NA:s Doughty and Burns.
So unfair. Last time I recall the Norris is for best ALL AROUND defenseman, now Burns might have been questionable choice if we are sticking with the "all around defenseman" definition but not Doughty. I don't know why you guys think the NHL has an agenda against Swedes when Lidstrom won year after year. Y'all just bitter.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

63 others

Mar 3, 2018
I never thought there would be a day where the hockey writers were smarter than every day fans but wow we got there.
And I thought hockey writers would be smarter rating subban than a poster named captain subban. I was wrong. Well hes not an every day fan though

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
This will hurt Erik Karlsson's contract negotiations.

Any one of the three winning would be okay with me. They are all solid 2 way d-men.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Marc-Bergevin+montreal.png

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Good choices. Hedman should nab this one, he's been building up his resumé for some time. That said, I would not mind seeing Subban win his second just for the reactions that would garner.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Good post.

The thing here is that for all the claims of bias the poster makes here he is guilty of the same thing, both in that post and so many others in the past. A quick glance at his posting history on this board especially in GDT's in international tournaments would tell anyone all they need to know about that.

Yes but the poster doesnt vote on the awards, biased NA:s do.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Because of what McDavid said right ;)

Lol I've been a Doughty fan for years, he's destroyed the Oilers for forever. Especially during the pre-McDavid years. It's from seeing him so often in the Pacific and knowing how dominant he is at both ends of the ice, perhaps if my team was in the Atlantic I may see it differently.

If Hedman won, I'd be fine with it. He had an excellent year as well.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
doughty is the best dmen of those 3 but since hedman and him are so close stats wise,the fact the lightning are a better team, and doughty and subban have won, I'd say it's his year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad