Confirmed Trade: [NJD/MTL] Jake Allen (50% retained) for 2025 cond. 2nd/3rd round pick

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
with the way he's played this year and his contract, I didn't think he would fetch anything close to a 3rd as I was expecting more of a 6th/7th rounder.
He really tanked his value in the past 2 months with his awful inconsistent play. I think the 3 x ring circus hampered his consistency. I also think Primeau's improved playing impacted him as Primeau was playing better than Allen.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He really tanked his value in the past 2 months with his awful inconsistent play. I think the 3 x ring circus hampered his consistency. I also think Primeau's improved playing impacted him as Primeau was playing better than Allen.
The Devils wanted the retention for more than a full season. That's obviously what drove the return in the transaction.

Reactions: QuizGuy66

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
Allen is worth the price paid for a bit of goaltending insurance. He always does better on structured teams.

Don't look at his stats on Montreal and take them at face value. He was getting hung out to dry, nightly.

He is not the best goalie in the world but he can definitely win you a Stanley Cup. Allen retained (50%), with a low cap hit, is great value.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Allen is worth the price paid for a bit of goaltending insurance. He always does better on structured teams.

Don't look at his stats on Montreal and take them at face value. He was getting hung out to dry, nightly.

He is not the best goalie in the world but he can definitely win you a Stanley Cup. Allen retained (50%), with a low cap hit, is great value.
I told these fellows on here he was good goalie. His numbers were inflated because he played behind rookie defense. They wouldn't listen. Just kept ranting on about his bad numbers.

• Haha
Reactions: PocketNines

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Allen is a solid backup goaltender. People crapped on him because of his stats. He will give up bad goals but he will also make massive saves. He lacks consistency. But the net outcome is a solid backup.

Montembault completely outplayed him the last 2 years and Primeau was knocking on the door with a league minimum salary. Habs had to deal him.

His stats aren't/weren't even that bad when taking into account his situation/usage. People just tend to not look beyond save percentage. He's a decent 1B goalie that can be a 1A for stretches, but not permanently. Its what he's been his entire career.

I imagine this was a trade the Devils tried to make earlier, but Montreal didn't really pick a real goalie direction until they re-signed Montembault in December and because Allen wouldn't waive his NTC before.

Reactions: mfilipo3

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Good to hear hopefully he keeps it up so it becomes a win win for everyone

I doubt he meets the condition next year for the 2nd. If he does, the Devils starter that they traded for in the summer either got hurt or is playing bad which I mean I doubt Habs fans would care for the second situation but still lol

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Sounds like an inverse Nick Suzuki. Money defensively on 5v5 but seems lost on the PK. (in my opinion at least)
I think this season's a loss but the future in general is bright. I've really liked what the Devils have been doing for the most part, they've just had an unlucky/rough year.
your opinion is mostly right, except that they turned their PK around and Suzuki is now hailed as the reason. It's too recent a change to say it's the new norm, but Marc Denis had an in-game segment about it yesterday.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Don't know if its just because he is a vet and sure of himself but he's probably has the best movement out of all the goalies the Devils tried this year. He really goes out and challenges every shooter instead of just reacting to the shot.

Maybe him playing for the Habs makes him fit better with the Devils? He probably is used to having the puck turned over in his own zone dozens of times a game.:)

Reactions: JKG33

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Don't know if its just because he is a vet and sure of himself but he's probably has the best movement out of all the goalies the Devils tried this year. He really goes out and challenges every shooter instead of just reacting to the shot.

Maybe him playing for the Habs makes him fit better with the Devils? He probably is used to having the puck turned over in his own zone dozens of times a game.:)
He's looked fantastic. And frankly the devils D in the games with Allen have been the worst they've been all year with no hamilton, miller, siegs, or marino

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
About as good as you could hope for a backup right now.

Well, backup on a good team (hopefully next year).

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Oh f*** he's use to 5 on 5 play and having 2 players not covered.

They play man-to-man AND positional, so it just gets all f***ed up at times.

The other goalies are young, or suck, or both. Allen has played for a while and knows the majority of shooter's tendencies, so that's likely what makes him confident.

He is a tremendous backup and can play more games than your typical backup can and be effective.

If the Devils get Markstrom, he doesn't need to play 60+, he could play 50 (or 42 and let Allen play 40) and be well rested for the playoffs.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Oh f*** he's use to 5 on 5 play and having 2 players not covered.

They play man-to-man AND positional, so it just gets all f***ed up at times.

The other goalies are young, or suck, or both. Allen has played for a while and knows the majority of shooter's tendencies, so that's likely what makes him confident.

He is a tremendous backup and can play more games than your typical backup can and be effective.

If the Devils get Markstrom, he doesn't need to play 60+, he could play 50 (or 42 and let Allen play 40) and be well rested for the playoffs.
Given that Kahkonen hasn't shown much yet I'm assuming that Allen is going to be ridden until he wishes he was back to being the Habs 3rd string goalie.:D

Reactions: Wierzbowski426

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands

Holy mother of god at the bolded.

The purpose of Jake Allen entering this world through a birth canal was so that pressure would have a human to choke under it.

The closest he could come to personally earning a Stanley Cup would be by outracing a woman for one at Target

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
Allen has been great so far. He would have made a pretty big difference on this lost season if he had waived his ntc earlier. The devils goaltending bar was set so low lol.

Reactions: Eegs

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes