Confirmed Trade: [NJD/MTL] Jake Allen (50% retained) for 2025 cond. 2nd/3rd round pick

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
I doubt he meets the condition next year for the 2nd. If he does, the Devils starter that they traded for in the summer either got hurt or is playing bad which I mean I doubt Habs fans would care for the second situation but still lol
Best case scenario is we end up getting the 2nd but honestly i just want the best for Allen he was a great vet here so 2nd or 3rd wont change much just wishing Jake the best

Bone Density

Jul 27, 2022
If the Devils get Markstrom, he doesn't need to play 60+, he could play 50 (or 42 and let Allen play 40) and be well rested for the playoffs.
75201bd69fd71022a7aa896ab12aa122_w200.gif

Reactions: My3Sons

thebestnic

Jun 29, 2022
Allen is worth the price paid for a bit of goaltending insurance. He always does better on structured teams.

Don't look at his stats on Montreal and take them at face value. He was getting hung out to dry, nightly.

He is not the best goalie in the world but he can definitely win you a Stanley Cup. Allen retained (50%), with a low cap hit, is great value.
Good for him if he's playing well for NJD but he was not playing well in Montreal. He got outplayed by both Montembeault and Primeau which are not exactly goalies with great pedigrees...

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
your opinion is mostly right, except that they turned their PK around and Suzuki is now hailed as the reason. It's too recent a change to say it's the new norm, but Marc Denis had an in-game segment about it yesterday.
I haven't really watched them this season to be honest, but that's good to hear!

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
Good for him if he's playing well for NJD but he was not playing well in Montreal. He got outplayed by both Montembeault and Primeau which are not exactly goalies with great pedigrees...

Look at the last season he had a very high save % (St. Louis). He does better on teams with more defensive structure. They cover up the flaws in his game. Montreal has been bringing up young D talent during his time here and there really isn't much structure or experience in that group.

Allen is not good enough to cover team weaknesses like Carey Price did. Allen can win you games if your teams D system is structured. With the 50% retention he is a good option for the cost. I'd rather pay Allen then some of these other goalie contracts out there.

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
Holy mother of god at the bolded.

The purpose of Jake Allen entering this world through a birth canal was so that pressure would have a human to choke under it.

The closest he could come to personally earning a Stanley Cup would be by outracing a woman for one at Target

Jake Allen is 11-11-1 in 29 games with a goals against average of 2.06 and a save percentage of . 924 in the playoffs in his career.

I've seen worse options in net. He can play in a tandem and if one of the two goalies gets locked in at the right time your opponent is in trouble.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Jake Allen is 11-11-1 in 29 games with a goals against average of 2.06 and a save percentage of . 924 in the playoffs in his career.

I've seen worse options in net. He can play in a tandem and if one of the two goalies gets locked in at the right time your opponent is in trouble.
I've actually watched those games, all 29 of them. I know what I am talking about with Allen.

It's the saddest possible praise that BOTH 1) he is not the worst goalie you've ever seen play AND 2) he is the kind of goalie where he could have a partner who is good, and then that guy will make trouble for the opponent.

Sure, you can praise Allen for existing so that a Binnington could also exist and then you're in trouble facing Binnington. But why?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I thought Allen played well for Montreal given the quality of shots against that he (Monty and Primeau) face. Hard to put up numbers when the quality of shots against are high. But Monty outplayed Allen significantly over the past 2 x seasons and Primeau has emerged and was also outplaying Allen at the end of Allen's run with Montreal.

It goes to show that the Habs goalies are much better than their save percentages indicate. Put them on a team with better defense and they produce good numbers. Hopefully that continues for Allen.

Reactions: viceroy

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
I've actually watched those games, all 29 of them. I know what I am talking about with Allen.

It's the saddest possible praise that BOTH 1) he is not the worst goalie you've ever seen play AND 2) he is the kind of goalie where he could have a partner who is good, and then that guy will make trouble for the opponent.

Sure, you can praise Allen for existing so that a Binnington could also exist and then you're in trouble facing Binnington. But why?
2.06 GGA and .924 save % in 29 games is respectable. A good team will give up less high danger scoring chances and he will get the job done. For his cap hit it is a non issue.

Reactions: viceroy

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Good to see Allen playing well so far. He's still a solid goalie and his struggles this year in MTL had a lot more to do with being on a 3 goalie rotation playing behind a dog sh*t team more than anything in my opinion.

I think if Devils can find a starter for next season and let Allen play 25-30ish games as the bonafide backup, he will thrive.

Reactions: Blueston

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Don't know if its just because he is a vet and sure of himself but he's probably has the best movement out of all the goalies the Devils tried this year. He really goes out and challenges every shooter instead of just reacting to the shot.

Maybe him playing for the Habs makes him fit better with the Devils? He probably is used to having the puck turned over in his own zone dozens of times a game.:)
It seems like you've been enjoying some happy juice!

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
A nicer way to say this would be "wow, Habs fans were right to suggest he could help out a team in net, despite just about everyone saying Allen was burnt worse than blackened toast"
I’m sure some NJ fans are sensitive after thr openjng salvos of the early Habs fans mocking NJ for trading for Allen . Ultimately a third for Allen with retention serves the interests of both teams.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I’m sure some NJ fans are sensitive after thr openjng salvos of the early Habs fans mocking NJ for trading for Allen . Ultimately a third for Allen with retention serves the interests of both teams.
Absolutely.... I don't see trades as being a zero-sum game, a trade can be a win for both teams, or a loss for both teams.

Reactions: Kosseca

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Lecce vs Udinese