Confirmed Trade: [NJD/MTL] Jake Allen (50% retained) for 2025 cond. 2nd/3rd round pick

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Allen's always been a slow starter and inconsistent. Monty's the same, he lets in early goals but then is rock-solid the rest of the game. Allen's proven he can bounce back and when he's on, he can be really on. Still don't get why NJ made that trade though.

Also holy f*** Brendan Smith is horrible lol

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Allen's always been a slow starter and inconsistent. Monty's the same, he lets in early goals but then is rock-solid the rest of the game. Allen's proven he can bounce back and when he's on, he can be really on. Still don't get why NJ made that trade though.

Devils always let in the first goal so it works with out strategy.

I really don't understand both coaches love affair with Smith. when Ruff got fired I thought for sure the guy who cost the team so much this year would be scratched.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Ah, it's more of a trade for next season then? I assumed they were trying to make a Wild Card run this year or something. Makes sense.

Allen for 1 year at $1.925 is very reasonable.
Its up to the players at this point if they want to try to get into the playoffs or just coast to the offseason. I don't expect a deep run if they get it as it looks like a lot of the Devils players are playing hurt and waiting for the offseason to get surgeries.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Brendan Smith somehow is elite on the penalty kill but the worst dman I've ever seen 5v5

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Brendan Smith somehow is elite on the penalty kill but the worst dman I've ever seen 5v5
Sounds like an inverse Nick Suzuki. Money defensively on 5v5 but seems lost on the PK. (in my opinion at least)
Its up to the players at this point if they want to try to get into the playoffs or just coast to the offseason. I don't expect a deep run if they get it as it looks like a lot of the Devils players are playing hurt and waiting for the offseason to get surgeries.
I think this season's a loss but the future in general is bright. I've really liked what the Devils have been doing for the most part, they've just had an unlucky/rough year.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Sounds like an inverse Nick Suzuki. Money defensively on 5v5 but seems lost on the PK. (in my opinion at least)
I think this season's a loss but the future in general is bright. I've really liked what the Devils have been doing for the most part, they've just had an unlucky/rough year.
My theory is because he doesn't have to pass on the PK. He fires the least accurate passes I've ever seen from a dman. On the PK it doesn't have to be accurate, just out

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Next year only
and the team, for which allen plays has to make the po.

so most likely we will trade allen at next years deadline to the habs for a lottery protected first. if the habs don't make the po it becomes a 2nd. :naughty:

• Wow
Reactions: QuizGuy66

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
After letting in the very first shot he faced as a Devils Allen gave us the best goaltending we’ve had all year.
Allen is a solid backup goaltender. People crapped on him because of his stats. He will give up bad goals but he will also make massive saves. He lacks consistency. But the net outcome is a solid backup.

Montembault completely outplayed him the last 2 years and Primeau was knocking on the door with a league minimum salary. Habs had to deal him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Maybe NJ trades him at the deadline for a better backup that costs more, Habs fans would riot.

Hab fans after watching Allen for the last 2 years know how unlikely it is that they get a 2nd round pick for him so at this point I don't think it matters since most that know it's 40 games next season only and for his team to make the playoffs that there's no way both can happen so we get a 3rd.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Hab fans after watching Allen for the last 2 years know how unlikely it is that they get a 2nd round pick for him so at this point I don't think it matters since most that know it's 40 games next season only and for his team to make the playoffs that there's no way both can happen so we get a 3rd.
100% agree. If Allen plays 40 games for NJD (or whoever they trade him to), that team has god awful goaltending and is in trouble.

Hughes just can't make a simple trade. He has to put his trademark on it with an obscure condition. :)

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
100% agree. If Allen plays 40 games for NJD (or whoever they trade him to), that team has god awful goaltending and is in trouble.

Hughes just can't make a simple trade. He has to put his trademark on it with an obscure condition. :)

with the way he's played this year and his contract, I didn't think he would fetch anything close to a 3rd as I was expecting more of a 6th/7th rounder.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Allen is a solid backup goaltender. People crapped on him because of his stats. He will give up bad goals but he will also make massive saves. He lacks consistency. But the net outcome is a solid backup.

Montembault completely outplayed him the last 2 years and Primeau was knocking on the door with a league minimum salary. Habs had to deal him.
Even average goaltending will do wonders for the Devils. Just having a veteran goalie is better for the team. Sucks because this is a low risk move Fitz could have done months ago.

Reactions: viceroy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad