Confirmed Trade: [NJD/MTL] Jake Allen (50% retained) for 2025 cond. 2nd/3rd round pick

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
You don't think Allen could play 40 games next season?
It’s not the plan. Allen was added to be the backup reading between the lines of the post TDL presser of the NJ GM. If they do make a big move in goal they will obviously give that goalie the bulk of the starts and it won’t shock me to see some of Daws and/or Schmid next season as well.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
So you think the Devils are going to swing for the fences for Markstrom?
if by swing for the fences you mean offer a 2025 protected 1st for markstrom with 2 mill retained then they should do that.

Calgary missed their chance to get a haul.

Since they backed out of the deal:
-Markstrom has been at an 0.878 sv%, negative GSAx, and 3.5 gaa (virtually all of these games are with hanifin and tanev btw)
-The most valuable year of markstrom is gone and burned
-Markstrom has gotten injured
-Leverage goes way down in the offseason

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
if by swing for the fences you mean offer a 2025 protected 1st for markstrom with 2 mill retained then they should do that.

Calgary missed their chance to get a haul.

Since they backed out of the deal:
-Markstrom has been at an 0.878 sv%, negative GSAx, and 3.5 gaa (virtually all of these games are with hanifin and tanev btw)
-The most valuable year of markstrom is gone and burned
-Markstrom has gotten injured
-Leverage goes way down in the offseason
Well they got a cha...Chance to get into the Pfff Playoffs.:naughty:

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Gotta say Habs fans we robbed you on this one
If Allen works out for NJ, then it's really a win-win trade scenario. The Habs benefit by getting rid of the three goalie rotation that had been hampering Primeau's development, and get a 3rd round pick in the process. Allen was never going to replace Monty as the starter, and Montreal needs to see what they have in Primeau.

Reactions: pth2 and BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Literally got outplayed by two other goalies. If Allen looks this good with a developed team that should tell you how much better Monty and Primeau would look without our lineup in front of them.
He has played well so far..............one note, the Devils have score 4 5 and 6 goals for him in his wins, worth noting that the habs struggle to score 3 goals for anyone in nets, so............

Good deal going both ways, considering Hughes had no leverage......take the pick and run.

noooooo. our window is already closing.

who said the same deal was on the table earlier in the season.
The story goes, Allen blocked a trade to NJ earlier in the season.......

noooooo. our window is already closing.

who said the same deal was on the table earlier in the season.
The story goes, Allen blocked a trade to NJ earlier in the season.......

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Jersey probably lost shot at a cup not picking Allen up earlier. Devils are a good team.

By all accounts, the Devils tried to pick up Allen earlier in the season but he was not willing to waive his NTC at the time to go to NJ. It was only towards the deadline that they revisited it and his agent convinced him to waive, noting that it was going most likely going to be a crowded goalie market this offseason and this would be a good move for Allen.

Guy has been amazingly consistent through his first 4 games in NJ - between a .944 and .947 SV% each game.

1711114079179.png

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
He couldn't outplay Monty or Primeau. Still couldn't. lol

Habs just have good goalies, who's stats are marred by the quality of team in front of em.

Hopefully the Habs get a 2nd in this deal and Allen plays 40 games next season.

Seriously Habs fans...just ignore that poster. Most NJ posters already do.

If Allen works out for NJ, then it's really a win-win trade scenario. The Habs benefit by getting rid of the three goalie rotation that had been hampering Primeau's development, and get a 3rd round pick in the process. Allen was never going to replace Monty as the starter, and Montreal needs to see what they have in Primeau.

I absolutely hated the deal at the time it was announced as I thought it was an overpay on NJ's side. However, given the retention aspect of it for next season, it seems much more fair and probably as good of a deal as the Habs could've gotten for him. Right now, it's certainly looking like a win/win for both clubs as the younger goalies for Montreal were outplaying him and they needed to move on from the 3 goalie rotation and look towards the future. Allen helps solidify the goaltending position for NJ next season while allowing Daws and Schmid to both properly develop in the AHL while giving one of them an opportunity to grab a spot in NJ in the 2025-2026 season, at which point both will have to pass through waivers.

Fully expect NJ to bring in another veteran goalie next season to pair with Allen - expect them to shoot for the stars with Saros, Ullmark or Markstrom as their primary targets, with some other fallback options in maybe Merzlikins, Gibson, Brossoit and others if they fall short. 100% expect another veteran to be brought in though to at the very least split the load with Allen.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
By all accounts, the Devils tried to pick up Allen earlier in the season but he was not willing to waive his NTC at the time to go to NJ. It was only towards the deadline that they revisited it and his agent convinced him to waive, noting that it was going most likely going to be a crowded goalie market this offseason and this would be a good move for Allen.

Guy has been amazingly consistent through his first 4 games in NJ - between a .944 and .947 SV% each game.

View attachment 839827
that's the max variance in performance i can accept

• Haha
Reactions: PWiz30

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

View attachment 839827
We just need to start him the final 12 games of the season and hope he stays hot lol.

If we find a way to go like 10-2 or 9-3 we've got a fair shot at making the playoffs. And if we play like we did last night, and Allen stays hot, I think it could be doable.

Last edited:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
He's been everything we could have asked for here. Seems like a real solid dude as well. Happy to have him aboard, and think he'll be a useful guy to have around for our young goalies in the pipeline to learn from.

Reactions: HBK27

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
We just need to start him the final 12 games of the season and hope he stays hot.

If we find a way to go like 10-2 or 9-3 we've got a fair shot at making the playoffs. And if we play like we did last night, and Allen stays hot, I think it could be doable.
sound idea. what could go wrong playing your goalie in 12 consecutive games including 3 back to backs without any rest :skeptic:

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Happy he's doing well with the Devils. Allen was a real pro here.
In his post game interviews the guy is a pro! ALl on team guy, sounds like he's been here for years. Apparently he's mentor Binnington and others as they all give him lots of credit. Sorry he didn't waive sooner for us. He must be a great locker room guy. Once he is done paying, fire Rogy (should be done this summer btw-he sux) and let him have the G coach reins!

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
In his post game interviews the guy is a pro! ALl on team guy, sounds like he's been here for years. Apparently he's mentor Binnington and others as they all give him lots of credit. Sorry he didn't waive sooner for us. He must be a great locker room guy. Once he is done paying, fire Rogy (should be done this summer btw-he sux) and let him have the G coach reins!

Just make Allen player/coach now ;)

Reactions: Smitty426

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

View attachment 839827
Oh I see. I didn't know that. Allen was having a good year. I posted several times in here for teams to pick him up and got these Pejorative Slured replies. Similar to Monahan.

Allen was Around .900% behind rookie defense. That's .930-940% on good club. That's excellent netminding percentage down the stretch and into playoffs.

I'll never know why Leafs or Kings never jumped all over that deal??

Reactions: viceroy

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Oh I see. I didn't know that. Allen was having a good year. I posted several times in here for teams to pick him up and got these Pejorative Slured replies. Similar to Monahan.

Allen was Around .900% behind rookie defense. That's .930-940% on good club. That's excellent netminding percentage down the stretch and into playoffs.

I'll never know why Leafs or Kings never jumped all over that deal??
I imagine the leafs would have had to pay more.

And while the kings goalies aren't high pedigree, they've frankly been quite good. per moneypuck they have had a +22.6 GSAx, 6th overall and virtually identical to boston. Per evolving hockey they have rittich 7th in the league in GSAx and talbot 15th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad