Prospect Info: Nikita Scherbak

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
How has he played in the AHL so far? Anyone see a future top line winger in Nikita?

He's been injured a lot. Has scored 3 goals since his return.

I don't see a future top line anything in anyone while Lefebvre and Therrien are our coaches.. so, no.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
He's been injured a lot. Has scored 3 goals since his return.

I don't see a future top line anything in anyone while Lefebvre and Therrien are our coaches.. so, no.

He is being tried out as a center, so who know. Too early to tell. Call back in 30 games.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
Not worried about Scherbie the guy took a lot of weight during the offseason and maybe not the right way and his game was impacted and injuries happened.. After next year we will have a lot better representation of Scherbak's potential. Do we even remember Galchenyuk was quite poor with Sarnia after his knee injury? He did take quite some time to get back on track and that was JUNIOR hockey.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Would be nice if he could develop into a player who can play LW/C/RW. But if Therrien doesn't even trust Galchenyuk at center, Scherbak would have a hell of a time trying to cut his teeth in the NHL as a centerman unless his defensive game drastically improves.

If he becomes a real good second line player, ill be happy. Especially considering we have have two glaring holes on both second line wing positions. Still hoping he reaches his full potential and becomes a 1st line threat of course.

We need all the top 6 players we can get at this point.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I've consider this year a write off for Scherbak, although I still don't get the move to center after returning from injury but we'll see if that holds long term or not as it would be interesting. Scherbak started the year ok with 3 pts in the first 7 games and then got injured. It wasn't bad when you consider he was injured in the off-season and didn't look like his skating was at 100% after the knee injury. Plus it didn't help that his line of DLR Dumont Scherbak was terrible. Neither DLR or Dumont showed much of anything in the way of offense.

Then he returns from injury 3 weeks later and gets injured in his first game back. After then missing just over 4 weeks he was back. Since then he's played 11 games, learned a new position and picked up 4 pts 3 of which were goals. He's shown some flashes of high skill with passes that his teammates couldn't convert. All that while the rest of the league was in mid-season form and he missed half the season and a limited off-season. For now we'll just have to see what he does the rest of the year, at least now he's getting quality ice time and good experience.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
I've consider this year a write off for Scherbak, although I still don't get the move to center after returning from injury but we'll see if that holds long term or not as it would be interesting. Scherbak started the year ok with 3 pts in the first 7 games and then got injured. It wasn't bad when you consider he was injured in the off-season and didn't look like his skating was at 100% after the knee injury. Plus it didn't help that his line of DLR Dumont Scherbak was terrible. Neither DLR or Dumont showed much of anything in the way of offense.

Then he returns from injury 3 weeks later and gets injured in his first game back. After then missing just over 4 weeks he was back. Since then he's played 11 games, learned a new position and picked up 4 pts 3 of which were goals. He's shown some flashes of high skill with passes that his teammates couldn't convert. All that while the rest of the league was in mid-season form and he missed half the season and a limited off-season. For now we'll just have to see what he does the rest of the year, at least now he's getting quality ice time and good experience.

While he doesn't look out of place and he is a great passer, I think they play him center to help his 200ft game. He looks more implicated overall and I think it will help him developed a more responsible game.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
While he doesn't look out of place and he is a great passer, I think they play him center to help his 200ft game. He looks more implicated overall and I think it will help him developed a more responsible game.

It just seems an odd move when he's missed so much and is so far behind the rest of the league, on top of being one of the younger players in the league to begin with. If they wanted him at center why not wait till the off-season if he's 100% healthy and would have months to work on draws and learning the position. That said he has the playmaking, vision, speed/skating to play the position. He looks a bit lost on draws and while his defensive game is never going to be confused with DLR's, I felt it wasn't that bad from what I've seen since he was drafted.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Not worried about Scherbie the guy took a lot of weight during the offseason and maybe not the right way and his game was impacted and injuries happened.. After next year we will have a lot better representation of Scherbak's potential. Do we even remember Galchenyuk was quite poor with Sarnia after his knee injury? He did take quite some time to get back on track and that was JUNIOR hockey.

Scherbak was also 19 for almost half the season. Not all players can play with men at this age.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Latest update (just found out about this!?):
Scherbak is a CENTER now??!!!
(Lefebvre's decision? or Habs' management's decision?).

Good for his defensive/all-round game?? (maybe? experiment?).

Next season:
Scherbak-McCarron-Scherbak
(as LW or RW).

P.S.: Scherbak may take the Hudon route...injuries will make some Hab fans (or many) doubt him and his projection (or throw him under a bus like they did with Hudon not long ago!)...Scherbak stays healthy and finally shows his solid top 6 potential (within a year or two). At least...this is what I'm hoping for.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
scored another goal tonight. He is starting to produce after a nightmare start to his pro career

MagicalDeck

Mar 17, 2006
Latest update (just found out about this!?):
Scherbak is a CENTER now??!!!
(Lefebvre's decision? or Habs' management's decision?).

I see. The master plan is to have Sherbak center galchenyuk and mccarron someday...! :amazed:

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
I see. The master plan is to have Sherbak center galchenyuk and mccarron someday...! :amazed:

I don't think Habs want to have him at center, but he has better vision and passing skills then Galchenyuk and Mccarron, so who knows, he could turn into a great center.
Though I still think Habs want him on AG's right wing and that he is playing center only to help his overall game. As I saw these last games it seems to work well for him, he is more implicated and he has the puck more often. I think it's a smart move.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
The kid is showing good flashes. He looks like a player still adapting to the pro game. What is interesting is that he is now given a chance to play on the first line and first PP unit. I also like his size. He is taller than Galchenyuk. Look as tall as Eller, he just needs to mature a bit physically. THe end of the season will be interesting to follow to see his progression. The type of kid that can have a non linear developpment curve. Remember he spent his last junior season under Kevin Constantine in Everett, an ultra defensive coach. That's why I like the move to center and the first line. It's as if the organization wants him to regain his offensive mind.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
It's easier to start confusing him at the minor level so when he reach the NHL and Therrien inefficiently use him he will be used to it already. I think that's the logic behind it.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'll never really understand how some on this board can so quickly turn on a prospect after having seemingly learned their lesson with McCarron. 19 year olds are unusual in the AHL (of course because of the CHL rule, but in general as well), and he had a false start due to injuries. I won't be surprised in the slightest if he tears it up in the AHL next season, or even starts heating up as the season comes to a close.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I'd like to see how he does on Mccarron's wing. It'd be nice to call them up at the same time and stick them together. Plus, they're both underrated playmakers who have great shots so I could see this working out pretty well.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
I'd like to see how he does on Mccarron's wing. It'd be nice to call them up at the same time and stick them together. Plus, they're both underrated playmakers who have great shots so I could see this working out pretty well.

Well that could be fun to watch. But in the NHL you might only see them
together on the power play. At least a lot of the time. McCarron could turn
into a net crashing scorer, but I'm more dreaming of a crushing defensive
center, who plays extra minutes on the Power Play. Where as Scherbak
can hopefully be a first line type along side Chuck. And I really don't care
which one plays center. As far as I'm concerned, as long as they become
impact players in the NHL, they can both play wing, and someone else can
play center. Maybe we will try adding another very short center. Reway???
Such a line might make some interesting passes!

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Seems Habs focused on developing centers from wingers, wingers from center, wingers from goalies (Crisp).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad