Prospect Info: Nikita Scherbak

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Personally i never had much faith in him, hope he proves me wrong but i dont see an NHL'er in Sherbak.

They're completely different players tho. Danault was always a reliable defensive player, he was a lock to be a very good defensive 4th liner in the NHL, being able to contribute offensively is just a bonus in his case. Scherbak on the other hand is a 1 dimensional offensive player, if he cant produce then he's not doing much for you. Personally I've never been a big fan of his.

his game makes me think of someone who has no NHL potential ;)

Hmmmmmm..

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I saw some decent jump in his step last night. I am not quite ready to write him off but it's coming at this rate. McCarron and DLR both drafted a year earlier are not NHL material. Man I was hoping Mac would pan out.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I saw some decent jump in his step last night. I am not quite ready to write him off but it's coming at this rate. McCarron and DLR both drafted a year earlier are not NHL material. Man I was hoping Mac would pan out.

I've seen great pre-seasons from Scherbak and Big Mac before.

The longer they've been in the organization, the worse they've looked, IMO.

Screams a gigantic issue with development.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

I agree that this team's inability to develop young players is a serious issue. What does Bergevin do about it? Gives an extension to the AHL head coach who has obviously not done the job of preparing young players for the NHL. The Habs are about to hit some hard times. It was embarrassing last night watching NJD prospects skate circles around the Habs youth.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I agree that this team's inability to develop young players is a serious issue. What does Bergevin do about it? Gives an extension to the AHL head coach who has obviously not done the job of preparing young players for the NHL. The Habs are about to hit some hard times. It was embarrassing last night watching NJD prospects skate circles around the Habs youth.

Right now, we are at the point where.. if an injury happens to our LD.. we're using a Taormina, a Gelinas or a Morrow.

If an injury happens up front, we are using poorly developed Big Mac or Scherbak.

There's nothing in the AHL that's going to help us if an injury happens.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Scherbak is playing in front of another coach (not Therrien), if I were him I would try to make a better impression.

Julien said it yesterday, some players are making our decision easy, and Scherbak was one of them for sure.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Scherbak is playing in front of another coach (not Therrien), if I were him I would try to make a better impression.

Julien said it yesterday, some players are making our decision easy, and Scherbak was one of them for sure.

The plan for Scherbak was always to send him to Laval, unless he came to camp and blew everyone out of the water. But even with him going to the AHL no matter what, you want to make an impression before the inevitable cut occurs. If he is to be sent down, you'd like to see him force the Habs to make him the final cut just before the regular season begins. That's not happening right now.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013

Scherbak failing is strictly because he's too weak physically, the organization allowed him every opportunity in the world to adress that, what are they supposed to do put him on Roids?

Maybe you were just wrong about the player?

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Scherbak failing is strictly because he's too weak physically, the organization allowed him every opportunity in the world to adress that, what are they supposed to do put him on Roids?

Maybe you were just wrong about the player?

He's 21 years old...He's shown consistent increase in production (year over year) despite facing an injury. What is with the short leach with prospects?

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
He's 21 years old...He's shown consistent increase in production (year over year) despite facing an injury. What is with the short leach with prospects?

I hope he tears up the AHL, I'd be ecstatic if he proved me wrong. I'm just not a believer in him and have been saying it for years.

I like skill more than anything else, I would've loved him to pan out, I just don't see it with him.

I'd rather call a guy I have 0 faith in a bust than wait until the book is out and everybody agrees.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Have you noticed the track record of this organization and the developing of prospects?

paddy

Aug 2, 2005

His best camp was right after he was drafted. He was a lot more visible and was trying to make plays by taking the puck straight to the net. He definately wasn't the perimeter player we see now. He even played with Galchenyuk for one game and got people dreaming.

Something went wrong along the way...

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
His best camp was right after he was drafted. He was a lot more visible and was trying to make plays by taking the puck straight to the net. He definately wasn't the perimeter player we see now. He even played with Galchenyuk for one game and got people dreaming.

Something went wrong along the way...

He was SLYed to obliteration

Draft Dynasty

Oct 28, 2014
He's terribad defensively/positioning and with Julien here for longterm. I dont think Scherbak will ever make it in the line up fulltime.

I dont think he's a winner with good killer instinct. The good thing is that he did improved a lot last year and is still young.

One other thing that hurt him is that I dont think he is a good fit to have on a 3rd-4th lines. Not enough character and cant really play on special unit.. Maybe 2nd waive of the PP.

I dont blame Timmins for this one.. Scherbak was a pretty nice gamble. Upside was there.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Pretty bad pre season so far. He did pretty well in the AHL last year at least so he is improving. I see potential but he looks tentative and just floats around.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Charles Hudon is finally making the team full-time as a 23-year old. I don't see why we need to write off Scherbak as a complete bust at 21

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Charles Hudon is finally making the team full-time as a 23-year old. I don't see why we need to write off Scherbak as a complete bust at 21

Hudon always competed. This kid is invisible 70% of the time.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He should have a big year in Laval, if used right and not put on the 3rd line with Audette for much of the year. Put him with Terry and Froese and he'll put up 50-60 pts imo. That could up his trade value, the Habs will need to improve the roster, they will have picks and cap space to do it, throw in a prospect or two and maybe the Habs can get something. If not, hopefully he can get stronger by this time next year and the Habs will need to make a decision on him based off how he looks. I don't think he's a good fit for Lefebvre so trading him might be the best thing for him, or maybe he just ends up in the KHL. One things for sure, the skill is there, he's easily skilled enough to be a very solid top 6 RW for us but he's got to improve his all round game and must get stronger.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
He'll get there, he is a special player in my opinion and he is still very young. I didn't expect him to start the season with the Habs so I certainly won't write him off after a disapointing game.

Last game was the 'bad old' Scherbak edition, one of his weakest attempt in many occasions I saw him, I thought this edition was gone for good.

I still think things will work out well for him and Montreal, he'll get it, he'll have some games with the Habs during the season again and I think he'll become an exciting part of the top6 in a near future.

For now he just needs to forget the last game, whip his mind and work two times harder.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke

Well you know, maybe there is that fact that Hudon was drafted in 5th round? Expectations are not the same I believe....

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
He'll get there, he is a special player in my opinion and he is still very young. I didn't expect him to start the season with the Habs so I certainly won't write him off after a disapointing game.

Last game was the 'bad old' Scherbak edition, one of his weakest attempt in many occasions I saw him, I thought this edition was gone for good.

I still think things will work out well for him and Montreal, he'll get it, he'll have some games with the Habs during the season again and I think he'll become an exciting part of the top6 in a near future.

For now he just needs to forget the last game, whip his mind and work two times harder.

Love the optimism! :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad