Prospect Info: Nikita Scherbak

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
Glad to see that's he's finally finding his groove and is healthy. Hoping his injury plagued season is an aberration and he can progress because there is virtually no skill in the system behind Scherbs.

Unfortunately for him he's a skilled player with an upbeat type of personality so Therrien is guaranteed to park him on the 4th or in the press box until he stops enjoying life.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
Scherbak with 3 pts in the last 3 games, 8 pts in the last 17 games. Not great but not bad when you consider he played only 4 games before those 17 games going back to the end of October (where he was just getting back to form from his off-season injury)

It would be fun to maybe see him in Montreal for 3 - 4 games in April.

As the Habs are done, there would be no pressure on the kid.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Well for one I never called him a bust. second, he started the season as a 19 year old so anyone calling him a bust would be wrong.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's like I almost forgot about Sherback for awhile when he was injured, hoping he can gain some strength this summer, if so, with a good summer...he becomes an interesting player to watch for training camp next year

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
It wouldn't surprise me that Scherbak takes a bit longer to be ready. He still needs to mature physically, his genetics will kick in at some point! Still has that baby fat look to him. There's only so much training an athlete can do, some people are just late bloomer genetically.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It would be fun to maybe see him in Montreal for 3 - 4 games in April.

As the Habs are done, there would be no pressure on the kid.

I would be very against it. Really hope they just leave him alone, I hate seeing these kids called up as first year pros, would much rather they take their time especially with Scherbak since so much is riding on his future. He's just getting into a grove after being in and out of the lineup from injury and then getting his legs back after each injury. Plus he needs to learn to keep his head up more.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
I would be very against it. Really hope they just leave him alone, I hate seeing these kids called up as first year pros, would much rather they take their time especially with Scherbak since so much is riding on his future. He's just getting into a grove after being in and out of the lineup from injury and then getting his legs back after each injury. Plus he needs to learn to keep his head up more.

You are right.

Just a bit of fan impatience here. :)

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
It's like I almost forgot about Sherback for awhile when he was injured, hoping he can gain some strength this summer, if so, with a good summer...he becomes an interesting player to watch for training camp next year

I disagree.

Considering how short this season has been for him due to injuries he could really benefit from another year in the AHL. We almost always bring up prospects too early and this wouldn't be any different, he's showing a glimpse of his potential right now but it's hardly consistent enough at this point and he just has too much to work on.

If Hudon can play 2+years in the AHL, I think Scherbak can atleast put in 1 full year. Hudon is the first prospect they seem to be letting "over ripen" in a very very long time.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
I disagree.

Considering how short this season has been for him due to injuries he could really benefit from another year in the AHL. We almost always bring up prospects too early and this wouldn't be any different, he's showing a glimpse of his potential right now but it's hardly consistent enough at this point and he just has too much to work on.

If Hudon can play 2+years in the AHL, I think Scherbak can atleast put in 1 full year. Hudon is the first prospect they seem to be letting "over ripen" in a very very long time.

I don't disagree that he could use another year in the AHL. But, if he has an outstanding camp and beats out established NHLers for a top 9 role....then he's earned the right to play a few games at least. If the consistency isn't there, he'll go back and progress. But if he keeps up his play, than why not keep him?

He remains an interesting player to watch at camp next season

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I disagree.

I wasn't suggesting he should make the Habs next year, just that with a strong summer, he could put himself into the discussion, perhaps for a call-up or extended look.

Just saying, it's going to be an important summer for him...he needs to add some strength to his frame and learn to keep his head up and be more aware of his surroundings

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't disagree that he could use another year in the AHL. But, if he has an outstanding camp and beats out established NHLers for a top 9 role....then he's earned the right to play a few games at least. If the consistency isn't there, he'll go back and progress. But if he keeps up his play, than why not keep him?

He remains an interesting player to watch at camp next season

He's likely our most skilled prospect so he'll be interesting to watch for sure, I was very much in favor of seeing him get some NHL games this season before he had his injury in the playoffs last year and couldn't put in a normal off-season workout. This summer he'll need to add a lot of strength especially lower body, he'll need to show at camp/preseason that he's learned to keep his head up, and he'll need to improve his defensive game. If he does these things and puts points up and or creates chances out there then I would be all for him getting NHL games. That said I wouldn't be surprised if he needs to spend most or all of next year in the AHL. It's hard to say how his off-season will go so we'll just need to see what he does at camp/pre-season and go from there. If he starts out in the AHL then we'll see how much progress he makes.

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows
He is starting to be able to take over periods himself ... I watched a game they lost badly but he dominated the 3rd with like 6 shots and some nice plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad