Prospect Info: Nikita Scherbak

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJJ

Jul 24, 2014
Ottawa
Remember last year when folks on here were saying he will be better than Galchenyuk??? Ahh, good times, good times.

I still, and always have thought, he will become a solid top 9 maybe top 6 winger in the NHL. His rough start as a pro hasn't changed that opinion. The 'he will be better than Chucky' thing going on last year was pure HF comedy gold though.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
In the i'm really bored after watching a boring IceCaps game and now a boring Everett game, so it got me thinking and I don't think the Habs would consider this but what if Scherbak is out till some point in 2016 and if so should they send him back to the WHL instead of the AHL?

Now keep in mind if Scherbak were born 2 days later he would have been in the WHL this year no question. Then add to the fact that he got injured last year (knee) and didn't look like he was skating at 100% in pre-season. Now since the Habs don't often update AHL injuries for all I know he could be back next game but if he continues to be out long term after missing most of the season and even when he played I'm not sure how many of those games he was 100%. The move would mean nothing to the Habs in terms of cap and contract as nothing would change if he plays in the WHL or AHL.

So would it be better for his development if he missed more then half the season to go back to the WHL and play with a future teammate with the Habs in Juulsen. Getting him would really boost their offense and maybe they could do something in the playoffs. The downside is that if the IceCaps made the playoffs you want Scherbak there although it's possible he still could if they didn't do go too far in the playoffs.

Or would be better for him to be on the 3rd line in the AHL with Dumont and whoever, as he's likely to be a bit rusty.

We'll have to see his play when he returns. I don't follow the CHL but if Everett is a good team and due for a decent playoff run I'd consider it. At the very worse, if they get eliminated early or don't make it can't he return to the ice caps anyway?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'm not worried at all about this kid. He's extremely young, he'll need time to develop. That's perfectly normal. Let's not forget that, at his age, Pacioretty was still playing in Michigan and Gallagher was with the Giants.

Pretty much. Kid was our top rated prospect on this board by a fair margin just before the season started. A false start and all of a sudden you see his name in trade proposals everywhere. I mean, McCarron shat the bed in the OHL and had his value drop to ''a water bottle and sock full of pucks'' before becoming the player he is currently. Prospects are allowed to stumble.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Remember last year when folks on here were saying he will be better than Galchenyuk??? Ahh, good times, good times.

I still, and always have thought, he will become a solid top 9 maybe top 6 winger in the NHL. His rough start as a pro hasn't changed that opinion. The 'he will be better than Chucky' thing going on last year was pure HF comedy gold though.

There is no "rough start". He's played injured and on the third/fourth lines of a stacked AHL team.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I'd have to go back to read those threads cause I think only a few were saying he would be better. I seem to recall most were saying Scherbak reminded them of Galchenyuk. At this point it's really impossible to know what we even have in Scherbak so while I don't think he'll be better then the 3rd overall pick I do think he can end up being a very good NHLer in time. I'm just glad we have both in the system.

We'll have to see his play when he returns. I don't follow the CHL but if Everett is a good team and due for a decent playoff run I'd consider it. At the very worse, if they get eliminated early or don't make it can't he return to the ice caps anyway?

if you put him back in the AHL, he's going to be rusty at the least. Now they could send him to the ECHL to get his legs back into game shape which makes sense, they could just play him in the AHL and see how he does but you put his confidence at risk if he really struggles. Everett has the goaltending and defense but lack offensive firepower. They are in a playoff spot but Scherbak would give them a major boost. Once his season was over in the WHL he can go to the AHL if they are still playing. By then he would be back in game shape and have his confidence going. Like I said I don't think management would really do it but I just thought it's an interesting thought since he's such a key part of our future.

RJJ

Jul 24, 2014
Ottawa
There is no "rough start". He's played injured and on the third/fourth lines of a stacked AHL team.

He has played 9 games and has 1 goal and 2 assists and is a -5. Even if you discount his injuries that is definitely a rough start to his pro career. Especially for the expectations most fans had. I think he is still a great prospect. Calling it a rough start is just being realistic and not a knock against him.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Him McCarron & DLR came into my restaurant the other day :laugh: it's weird to see the top prospects on the team just strut in.

I still have a lot of faith he's going to be a solid top 6 winger in next few years but he was tough to watch beginning of the year I'm hoping the injury was the cause. Should get a lot more minutes now that Ghetto, Thomas & Carr are all called up

PernellsWhiteAmi

Long Live Chappelle
Oct 24, 2009
Vermont/Montreal

I go on these boards everyday, and can't recall anybody saying that. Maybe 1 or 2 did. Or maybe you're just trying to compliment yourself. Either or.

He has played 9 games and has 1 goal and 2 assists and is a -5. Even if you discount his injuries that is definitely a rough start to his pro career. Especially for the expectations most fans had. I think he is still a great prospect. Calling it a rough start is just being realistic and not a knock against him.

What's being realistic is understanding he's played a total of 9 games in his professional career.

What's being unrealistic is calling a player's first 9 games in pros a rough start. Let alone in the bottom-6.

We need more of a sample size before we start making such comments. At least let the guy play 10 or so games in the top-6 (which will happen when he's healthy).

:nod:

Last edited by a moderator:

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
I go on these boards everyday, and can't recall anybody saying that. Maybe 1 or 2 did. Or maybe you're just trying to compliment yourself. Either or.

Maybe you were in the wrong threads because there were a few weeks where 5-6 posters were on the "Scherbak is a better prospect than Galchenyuk ever was" bandwagon.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
This thread is a real ****show. He's played 9 games this season and he's a bust or won't be a bona-fide NHL player? Geez some people love to overreact.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
His rough start as a pro hasn't changed that opinion. The 'he will be better than Chucky' thing going on last year was pure HF comedy gold though.

Actually, comedy gold is you determining whether thats true or false after he's played nine games.

After nine games you're ready to label it a rough start, and, amazingly, mock others for their predictions?

Classic.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Really can't wait to see a 100% healthy Nikita Scherbak playing in the AHL. Lets hope his healing is going great and we see a healthy Scherbak in the new year :clap:

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
Really can't wait to see a 100% healthy Nikita Scherbak playing in the AHL. Lets hope his healing is going great and we see a healthy Scherbak in the new year :clap:

What is his current injury? Concussion?

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
What is his current injury? Concussion?

I don't think that has been reported but I also believe it was a concussion with the hit he took. Before that it was a sprain I believe with his ankle.

Someone said he was out until January so lets hope for a 100% healthy Scherbak.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
I don't think that has been reported but I also believe it was a concussion with the hit he took. Before that it was a sprain I believe with his ankle.

Someone said he was out until January so lets hope for a 100% healthy Scherbak.

Thanks. I couldn't find a report either. Huge hit but it also looked like he twisted his left leg as he was falling so I wondered whether that was the injury. Anyway, I hope he gets back and has a good second half.

PernellsWhiteAmi

Long Live Chappelle
Oct 24, 2009
Vermont/Montreal
Maybe you were in the wrong threads because there were a few weeks where 5-6 posters were on the "Scherbak is a better prospect than Galchenyuk ever was" bandwagon.

Well sure. There's a few posters who think we should get rid of Price. Do they represent the Habs on this board? Of course not.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Young Nikita has had a nightmare start to his pro career.
When he was first drafted folks thought he could step in like Galchenyuk did...looking back that was pretty damn funny. He is not even ready for the AHL. I hope he gets healthy and starts tearing it up. In this day and age it is difficult for teams to recover when they draft first round busts.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Young Nikita has had a nightmare start to his pro career.
When he was first drafted folks thought he could step in like Galchenyuk did...looking back that was pretty damn funny. He is not even ready for the AHL. I hope he gets healthy and starts tearing it up. In this day and age it is difficult for teams to recover when they draft first round busts.

Your post is so ironic. He is as far from being a bust as he is to be what we tought he were.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Your post is so ironic. He is as far from being a bust as he is to be what we tought he were.

You may want to take a course in reading comprehension. I never said he was a bust. I said teams in this cap era have a hard time recovering when first rounders turn into busts.
He is barely 20 and has had a hard time early on but his talent is undeniable. Time will tell either way

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004

People here said Trunev was Ovechkin lite... I think we know how that turned out. Hf will always be hf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino