Prospect Info: Nikita Scherbak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There's been improvement for sure in Scherbak's game but the problem is the consistency, as one night he's one of the best players on the ice and the next he'll do something really stupid that just leaves you shaking your head. I don't really have a problem with his skating, just think he needs to improve his lower body strength.

Sounds like a Russian to me? :sarcasm:

I have no issues with Scherbak if he provides offense. This next season is a big one in his development though.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He had a nice goal in his first NHL game but the likelihood of him developing into a top 6 player is less that Hudon IMO. Habs need draft more Europeans who can just develop overseas away from this organization like Lehkonen. I still believe DLR would have become much better player had he stayed in SHL.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
He had a nice goal in his first NHL game but the likelihood of him developing into a top 6 player is less that Hudon IMO. Habs need draft more Europeans who can just develop overseas away from this organization like Lehkonen. I still believe DLR would have become much better player had he stayed in SHL.

Like Collberg?

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010

Sherbak is still young. I like he's reach and he's size. I still have hope for sherby.

He is our most offensive gifted prospect.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
I was super high on Scherbak and had every reason to be.

Unfortunately, Lefebvre got his hands on him and we are seeing what we constantly see with Lefebvre. Pure and utter stagnation of a prospect where their strengths didn't improve and neither do their weaknesses.

With Lefebvre strongly rumored to be returning, I am going to throw my card in and say he will be a bust.

Welcome to the club.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
People needs to be patient, he is what 21 years old ? I would be in panic mode if he was 24 but give the guy a chance, he is not progressing like we would want but at least he is progressing. He played with the Habs this year and I'm pretty sure he will have a top 6 chance next year.

By age 24, Bergevin will figure out if Scherbak is a winger or a center. :sarcasm:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Scherbak entering pro season #3....time to show something...even if it's 20 games he has to show he can play at the NHL level

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Scherbak entering pro season #3....time to show something...even if it's 20 games he has to show he can play at the NHL level

Yes, he needs a real hot streak. Show what you can do somewhat consistently. Hope he comes prepared for camp.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Another great pickup for Laval, plus with Taormina and Froese the best part about them is our AHL team doesn't have to face them anymore!:nod:

I think Scherbak benefited greatly from having good players to play with in Hudon and Terry last year. More quality players to give prospects guys to work with is what they should have started doing years ago.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think Scherbak benefited greatly from having good players to play with in Hudon and Terry last year. More quality players to give prospects guys to work with is what they should have started doing years ago.

of course, he's a playmaker and was paired up much of the time with Audette. I think it was stupid to put your 2 youngest players on the same line, especially when they both have issues without the puck and in their own end. At least Lefebvre finally put him with Hudon/Terry later in the season.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
of course, he's a playmaker and was paired up much of the time with Audette. I think it was stupid to put your 2 youngest players on the same line, especially when they both have issues without the puck and in their own end. At least Lefebvre finally put him with Hudon/Terry later in the season.

Even more than that, I'm thinking of the utter insanity last season of putting Scherbak at center with a pair of humps on the wing. That -26 was a coaching/managing problem more than player issue.

We saw it also in how much better McCarron played with Holloway on his wing than otherwise. Or how the team struggled without a number one defenseman. Its good to put your 20-21 year old guys in spots they can succeed rather than be overwhelmed.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Even more than that, I'm thinking of the utter insanity last season of putting Scherbak at center with a pair of humps on the wing. That -26 was a coaching/managing problem more than player issue.

We saw it also in how much better McCarron played with Holloway on his wing than otherwise. Or how the team struggled without a number one defenseman. Its good to put your 20-21 year old guys in spots they can succeed rather than be overwhelmed.

yea I don't get why Lefebvre has handled McCarron so well and Scherbak so poorly.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
yea I don't get why Lefebvre has handled McCarron so well and Scherbak so poorly.

You keep coming back with this Scherbak thing all the time...

Maybe the kid needed some tough love to get his **** together, seems like he kinda lacks commitment and work ethic. Coaches are there to do this kind of stuff.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
so tough love is putting the two youngest and worst defensive forwards together, or moving him to a much more difficult position after just returning from missing most of the season to a major injury. Makes sense. :shakehead

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The whole Scherbak as a center experiment was terrible, no argument there. I've rarely seen a worst faceoff man in all my years. Hopefully they won't try that ever again.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He still has upside but let's face it, he's a long shot to ever be a top six guy for us and that's the only way he ever makes it. I wouldn't blame it all on Lefebvre. In his draft +1 year in the WHL he didn't progress at all. Seems to be a constant theme for our first rounders in recent years.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I got to think management had a major say in the move, I just don't understand the timing.

They did the same with Hudon ( with a lot more success) . It really does feel like a management decision, hoping to fill a need by taking a playmaking winger and trying to turn him into a C. It never works.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
He still has upside but let's face it, he's a long shot to ever be a top six guy for us and that's the only way he ever makes it. I wouldn't blame it all on Lefebvre. In his draft +1 year in the WHL he didn't progress at all. Seems to be a constant theme for our first rounders in recent years.

never going to be more than AHL lifer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad