Prospect Info: Nikita Scherbak

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Yeah, good thing you added "stylistically", but that's if you remove Vocarek's strength, drives to the net and infinitely better play without the puck, even as a 17-18 year old compared to Scherbak at this moment. Voracek was such a significantly better prospect that I feel it's an unfair comparison to Scherbak, even if "stylistically".

Voracek was also a 7th overall pick.

There's nothing wrong or unfair with comparing player styles. Its not comparing Scherbak's skill level to Voracek's at all, only their playing styles. Scherbak's style is comparable to Voracek's. Voracek is simply better at those elements of the game.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Voracek was also a 7th overall pick.

There's nothing wrong or unfair with comparing player styles. Its not comparing Scherbak's skill level to Voracek's at all, only their playing styles. Scherbak's style is comparable to Voracek's. Voracek is simply better at those elements of the game.

yeah i can see the similar style. nothing wrong with that. But yes even if Scherbak hits his ceiling he wouldn't be as good as Voracek.

I'm still fine with a guy who doesn't dominate shift in shift out but can produce.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
What is his ceiling? Has he made progress or will he become part of the failed draft pick abyss Bergevin and Lefebvre have become known for?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
No, Churla does the picks, Lefebvre develops them.

So far the best players are the ones that see little of Lefebvre: Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Lehkonen.
Lefebvre should be fired.....agree, I have zero faith in this guy. I know he hasn't had the greatest prospects but enough is enough

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What is his ceiling? Has he made progress or will he become part of the failed draft pick abyss Bergevin and Lefebvre have become known for?

1st liner. He has made a decent amount of progress, granted he should since he's a 1st round pick by one of the top scouts in the NHL. I was glad to see him step it up in the playoffs. To me nothing would surprise me, he could end up a very good NHLer or a bust that ends up in the KHL. Do not like how he has been handled at all but he's also got to get stronger.

The good - highly skilled, can really dish the puck, but can snipe it as well, can deke and likes to rush the puck up ice.

The bad - lacks strength both upper and lower, isn't good in his own end, tries to do too much with the puck which leads to doing stupid things at times instead of say just accepting the play is dead and dumping the puck instead of turning it over. Struggles to win puck battles as he's easily muscled off pucks. Effort isn't always there without the puck but that was mostly early in the season and has since shown a good bit more consistency there.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
1st liner. He has made a decent amount of progress, granted he should since he's a 1st round pick by one of the top scouts in the NHL. I was glad to see him step it up in the playoffs. To me nothing would surprise me, he could end up a very good NHLer or a bust that ends up in the KHL. Do not like how he has been handled at all but he's also got to get stronger.

The good - highly skilled, can really dish the puck, but can snipe it as well, can deke and likes to rush the puck up ice.

The bad - lacks strength both upper and lower, isn't good in his own end, tries to do too much with the puck which leads to doing stupid things at times instead of say just accepting the play is dead and dumping the puck instead of turning it over. Struggles to win puck battles as he's easily muscled off pucks. Effort isn't always there without the puck but that was mostly early in the season and has since shown a good bit more consistency there.

For a guy who was coached by Kevin Constantine...this is a bit surprising to read

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
For a guy who was coached by Kevin Constantine...this is a bit surprising to read

if he had a better coach I do think he would be better in his own end, as he was fine in the WHL but that hasn't been the case in the AHL over the last 2 years. Granted he was 19 for half of his first year, injured for about half of the season and coming off a major knee injury in the off-season only to be moved to a much tougher position defensively then he was used in the dub. This year he started out very poorly in his own end, got called out for it and was then punished by spending much of the season on the 3rd line with Audette. So the youngest and 2nd youngest players on the team were paired up together much of the year, two kids not known for their defensive play and lack of physical strength. Not sure why they thought it would be a good idea, finally in the 2nd half of the season, they started putting Scherbak on the top line with Hudon and Terry. This year is going to be very interesting for Scherbak, especially depending on what they do in the coaching department.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I think he will be traded sooner rather than later. Lefebvre is clearly not a fan and Bergevin will keep him in the organization in one way or another, and in general he's not a type of player that MB himself has any interest in.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Hopefully he gets stronger this summer, the kid is still only 21 so lots of time for him to still improve.

I expect him to start in the AHL obviously, but think we'll see quite a bit of him as the season goes on.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I find him to be slow with his decision making. I don't think he has much of a career ahead of him. Hopefully I'm wrong. Definitely way too weak as of today.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Hopefully he gets stronger this summer, the kid is still only 21 so lots of time for him to still improve.

I expect him to start in the AHL obviously, but think we'll see quite a bit of him as the season goes on.

Its his third Pro season and last waiver exampt one.. The kid is still way too raw for the NHL..

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I find him to be slow with his decision making. I don't think he has much of a career ahead of him. Hopefully I'm wrong. Definitely way too weak as of today.

I find it's more he's confused about what to do or not to do or maybe indecision is a better word for it and it seems worse when he's forced to do things that seem unnatural for him.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
I think he will be traded sooner rather than later. Lefebvre is clearly not a fan and Bergevin will keep him in the organization in one way or another, and in general he's not a type of player that MB himself has any interest in.
Wow! Do you have more information about what's happening in MB's mind?

This year he will have a full summer to train. Let's see where it goes from there.

I read: more strength, better defensive needed.
Both can be acquired. What is tougher is to get skills.

I heard Lefebvre saying that he was moved off the top line because he had lost his confidence and was put back when his game came back.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Scherbak came very young in the AHL. He will turn 22 only at the end of this year. So he is still very young and showing solid progress. Still a very good prospect.

Jul 6, 2016

Geez. Are you talking about Galchy ?

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Scherbak actually had a very solid year in terms of development.

He's coming along. Those who followed the draft that year knew he was a longer term project.

yeah but the year after was a great one and from there, It was legit to think that we could count him sooner. We saw him like a Chucky Malkinesque. That time seems so far away

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
People comparing to him to Voracek, I see more like Grabovski.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Scherbak actually had a very solid year in terms of development.

He's coming along. Those who followed the draft that year knew he was a longer term project.

Hmmmm, no.

After he was drafted I remember watching him on tv at the WHL - Russia Subway Series and I said something to the effect of him being at least a year and a half away from being NHL ready and this board was almost ready to burn me at the stake for being a heretic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad