NHLPA Polls - Leafs Coaches Rank Highly

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'd vote for it to go in some of the empty land in the Burlington area.

The Leafs won't be going anywhere but I don't doubt a second large scale NHL size arena will be built in the GTA. That Arena will likely become the temporary home of the Leafs when the ACC is at it's End of Life.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I find the ACC to be quiet because the fans are engaged. Like most I pay attention to the game, I don't feel the need to make noise for the sake of making noise.

LOL. Then watch the game at home. What a ridiculous explanation.

Are the fans anymore / less engaged at TFC games? Or Raptor games?

Why are those atmospheres so much different/better than Leaf games?

Hell, the Raptors play in the same damn building as the Leafs, and have a completely different vibe to their games.

Leafs fans at the ACC are quieter than a library. I was at the game against the Islanders, 5-0 win, Dermott and Holl's first goal. Nearly got into a fight with the people behind me who kept asking me to sit down with less than 2 minutes to play because we wanted to give the team a bit of applause.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The atmosphere sucks, no intimidation factor whatsoever at the ACC.

With teams like the Penguins, Jets, Habs etc... if they jump on you early with a couple early goals, the crowd makes it that much more of an uphill battle. There's no viciousness in the Leafs crowd, and it really sucks.

Bingo.

It's a lifeless hockey arena building filled with people too concerned with staying "quiet".

Add in the empty platinums, the late-comers, the quiet introductions, and the intermissioners who never get back to their seats in time? It's such a flat and dull atmosphe

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
LOL. Then watch the game at home. What a ridiculous explanation.

Are the fans anymore / less engaged at TFC games? Or Raptor games?

Why are those atmospheres so much different/better than Leaf games?

Hell, the Raptors play in the same damn building as the Leafs, and have a completely different vibe to their games.

Leafs fans at the ACC are quieter than a library. I was at the game against the Islanders, 5-0 win, Dermott and Holl's first goal. Nearly got into a fight with the people behind me who kept asking me to sit down with less than 2 minutes to play because we wanted to give the team a bit of applause.
I was at that game as well, crowd was pretty good.
I should stay home because I don't feel the need to yell? :laugh: talk about ridiculous.
Not everyone needs to be distracted by shiny objects to enjoy themselves.

really with all your whining you should be the one watching the game at home if it causes you such distress.

Reactions: Raging Bull

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Bingo.

It's a lifeless hockey arena building filled with people too concerned with staying "quiet".

Add in the empty platinums, the late-comers, the quiet introductions, and the intermissioners who never get back to their seats in time? It's such a flat and dull atmosphe

It sincerely depresses me that we'll probably never see something like this during a playoff game at the ACC.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

It sincerely depresses me that we'll probably never see something like this during a playoff game at the ACC.

No one who's ever been to a playoff game would complain about the ACC.
Try and go this year.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
No one who's ever been to a playoff game would complain about the ACC.
Try and go this year.
I know people who've attended playoff games in both the ACC and the Bell Center.

From what they've said, the ACC is nowhere close to the Bell Center.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Playoffs at the ACC is a bit of a different animal, because you get a very different type of fan who shows up at playoff games - more rowdy, passionate fans. Not quiet mice like ACC1224 above.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I should stay home because I don't feel the need to yell? :laugh: talk about ridiculous.

really with all your whining you should be the one watching the game at home if it causes you such distress.
why is it so hard to figure out that a home arena should loudly cheer on the home team? I don't understand why you think it's so bad to have that expectation

Reactions: Tak7

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
But Chis Chelios told me that nobody wants to play for Mike Babcock
I know right :( It's not possible at all that he was just salty Babcock consistently made him a healthy scratch near the end of his career :( Players just don't want to play for Babcock :(

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I know people who've attended playoff games in both the ACC and the Bell Center.

I imagine the Bell Centre is insane but I've never heard of anyone complaining about the ACC crowd atmosphere.

Can't speak for the whole building but I know that the same people who sit around me all season are the same ones there during the playoffs.
Obviously the bigger the game the louder the crowd. Like I said earlier, not a lot of big games played at the ACC in the last 10 years or so.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

3-4 Thousand extra mouths will do that.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

LOL! Your right about that but you can't deny that the ACC Leaf games don't compare in atmosphere to many places around the League . Honestly for such a massive team fan base it's sad how it compares in atmosphere to any of the big sports teams in all sports. I rate them dead last in fan supporters at ACC Leaf games. Leaf games doesn't draw in enough supporters in any one section to create atmosphere. The people that do go to the games in the name to have fun, cheer, let loose like in the TFC support section are forced to sit down by the ones who go to games to just watch. Nothing wrong with those fans that go to just watch and analyze like coaches for there entertainment but the result of no support section where sitting down is optional:) there's no atmosphere in result.

There really does need to be a fan support section installed at Leaf games IMO like at TFC games. The sit down crowd sucks the atmosphere out of the building and they have every right to tell people in front of them to sit down. This dedicated section will get the entire building rocking by means of example in having fun in ways that the ACC just doesn't provide in atmosphere for Leaf games.

Reactions: Tak7

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
LOL! Your right about that but you can't deny that the ACC Leaf games don't compare in atmosphere to many places around the League . Honestly for such a massive team fan base it's sad how it compares in atmosphere to any of the big sports teams in all sports. I rate them dead last in fan supporters at ACC Leaf games. Leaf games doesn't draw in enough supporters in any one section to create atmosphere. The people that do go to the games in the name to have fun, cheer, let loose like in the TFC support section are forced to sit down by the ones who go to games to just watch. Nothing wrong with those fans that go to just watch and analyze like coaches for there entertainment but the result of no support section where sitting down is optional:) there's no atmosphere in result.

There really does need to be a fan support section installed at Leaf games IMO like at TFC games. The sit down crowd sucks the atmosphere out of the building and they have every right to tell people in front of them to sit down. This dedicated section will get the entire building rocking by means of example in having fun in ways that the ACC just doesn't provide in atmosphere for Leaf games.
I don't believe that a building that is full every night would rank last for atmosphere when some buildings aren't even half full.
Last time I went to Buffalo there wasn't much of an atmosphere, bunch of sections closed off and the Leaf fans in the rest of the building weren't any different than the ones at the ACC.

I get for some their goal is to get smashed and try to get the wave going, most at the ACC though understand the game and just want to watch and cheer at the appropriate time.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Well said.

Never mind comparing the Leafs atmosphere to other arenas in the league - it doesn't even compare to other TORONTO crowds.

TFC fans don't shut up for 2 hours. Raptors games are full of fans that are engaged, making noise and atmosphere.

Leaf games? Some fans don't even stand up to celebrate goals. It's awful.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
I don't believe that a building that is full every night would rank last for atmosphere when some buildings aren't even half full.
Last time I went to Buffalo there wasn't much of an atmosphere, bunch of sections closed off and the Leaf fans in the rest of the building weren't any different than the ones at the ACC.

I get for some their goal is to get smashed and try to get the wave going, most at the ACC though understand the game and just want to watch and cheer at the appropriate time.
That's the issue right there. The building is full but it's like it's empty. Your assuming that those who support are all drunk. I can attest that's far from the truth. It's a personality thing that differs from yours. Like some go to parties and dance others don't. At the ACC for Leaf games people that share your personality win out in every section of the building thus why it could be like attending a funeral which is ironic because the jumbotron keeps telling the crowed to make noise.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017

I'll bet you can hear a pin drop at the Bell this year during the playoffs.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
To be fair, the Leafs should be the ones moving into a new arena. The ACC was made for the Raptors and I think the name suits the Raptors well, with the Air Canada marketing.

Leafs should have their own arena though. The ice is awful.
The ice is definitely bottom tier in the NHL but I thought I remember hearing how the ACC is one of the busiest arenas in the world. You're right though, the fact that it's having a negative impact on the ice should be enough reason to have their own arena. Question is, how big of a rise in ticket prices are you guys that go to the games willing to endure? lol

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
100% of all players want to play with Babcock before they have played for Babcock.

10% of all players who have played with Babcock want to play for Babcock.

10% of the leagues players are grinders and 4th liners.

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
The ice is definitely bottom tier in the NHL but I thought I remember hearing how the ACC is one of the busiest arenas in the world. You're right though, the fact that it's having a negative impact on the ice should be enough reason to have their own arena. Question is, how big of a rise in ticket prices are you guys that go to the games willing to endure? lol

Wasn't always the worst though. Something changed. Someone retire, quit or got fired who shouldn't have. Maybe a victim of diversity?

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Wasn't always the worst though. Something changed. Someone retire, quit or got fired who shouldn't have. Maybe a victim of diversity?
This year is the first year I've really noticed it standing out as bad. Pretty sure the players have called it out a few times as well. Andersen specifically mentioned something about how the guys in front of him had to battle the ice one game.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
100% of all players want to play with Babcock before they have played for Babcock.

10% of all players who have played with Babcock want to play for Babcock.

10% of the leagues players are grinders and 4th liners.

And yet, Babcock finished 4th in a vote by the players as to which coach they'd like to play for. This seems to contradict your opinion, yes?

Reactions: stickty111

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
And yet, Babcock finished 4th in a vote by the players as to which coach they'd like to play for. This seems to contradict your opinion, yes?

No. Those players are all fourth liners and grinders. This backs up my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad