NHLPA Polls - Leafs Coaches Rank Highly

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Canadian NHL Player Breakdown by Birth Province - QuantHockey.com

40% of all NHL hockey players are from Ontario. Most of which are Leafs fans. Most of those players are or were Leafs fans and would follow the leafs closer as players. Players speak to this often. They have a bias.

What is so hard to understand about what I said? I don't know. McDavid's favorite player to model himself after was Bozak, go figure. That's why you get a few extra Leafs ticks in the box from Ontario boys.

Just because they're from Ontario doesn't mean most of them are Leaf fans. I don't see anything wrong in the voting, it's not like all the Toronto players or coaches ran away with the polls.

Reactions: saffronleaf

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
That's probably because a majority of Leaf fans can't afford tickets lol. Leaf fans are louder in certain away games than they are at the ACC although it's improved a little this season. I don't think the ACC will every be as loud on a regular basis as places like the Bell Centre and... well most other arenas.

Yup it's a lot of suits sipping Courvoisier

Reactions: JadedLeaf

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I'm sure playing in Toronto and had a lot to do with that, at least for the current NHL players from the Toronto area.

The Toronto factor is there but I think the Swedish factor could be skewing the results just as much if not more.

There are a lot of Swedes answering questions in this poll and they all mostly grew up idolizing Forsberg, Sundin and/or Lidstrom.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The most alarming thing in the entire poll...

Why does the richest team in the NHL have such terrible Ice? We should be ranked in the top 5.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The most alarming thing in the entire poll...

Why does the richest team in the NHL have such terrible Ice? We should be ranked in the top 5.

look at the teams that have the best ice - they only have hockey/concerts
we have to deal with:

Raptors
Rock
Concerts
Leafs.

Raptors + rock should get their own arena.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
we have to deal with:

Raptors
Rock
Concerts
Leafs.

Thank god Toronto no longer has an Arena Football League team, remember the Toronto Phantoms also use to play at the ACC.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
we have to deal with:

Raptors
Rock
Concerts
Leafs.

Daisy that shouldn't matter in this day and age. You know what does matter? Getting the ice to -9c that's all they need to do. Either they need better chillers or some other tech but they need better tech that can overcome such an issue.

There is some strange obsession in Canada with half ass solutions. Jays play on Turf and the TFC just got real grass finally. The leafs play on warm ice!?!?!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Daisy that shouldn't matter in this day and age. You know what does matter? Getting the ice to -9c that's all they need to do. Either they need better chillers or some other tech but they need better tech that can overcome such an issue.

There is some strange obsession in Canada with half ass solutions. Jays play on Turf and the TFC just got real grass finally. The leafs play on warm ice!?!?!

what are you talking about. of course it matters.
name me one arena that has more than two functions that has better ice?

do you honestly think the Leafs would pump so much money into everything else and not on proper ice making things? weather, and usage plays a factor.

Reactions: White Shadow

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

do you honestly think the Leafs would pump so much money into everything else and not on proper ice making things? weather, and usage plays a factor.
Maybe this doesn't matter in the long term but what about the ice being used for the odd Marlies game that's played at the ACC?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

It shouldn't matter in this day and age, with the technology we have. MSG was upgraded and have pretty good ice quality and it is used even more.

From an Engineering standpoint, what does weather matter to a building? We don't rely on the outside for indoor temps (Unless we are using geo-thermal). The only thing we can't fix is elevation, although we could pump extra oxygen into the building if we really wanted to.

If the buildings too warm, crank up the BTU's and cool it faster. If the ice temp is not getting to -9 or so, same solution. Maybe they need special chillers that blow -10c or so on top of the ice before games to ensure it's at proper temp.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
@Daisy Jane I just remembered the Staples Center in Los Angeles besides having the Kings games also hosts both the Lakers and Clippers in the NBA. In fact a lot of times they will have both NHL and NBA games on the same day. That's not including the concerts and other events they host like the Grammy Awards.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
@Daisy Jane I just remembered the Staples Center in Los Angeles besides having the Kings games also hosts both the Lakers and Clippers in the NBA. In fact a lot of times they will have both NHL and NBA games on the same day. That's not including the concerts and other events they host like the Grammy Awards.

I find our arena to have worse Ice than many of these warm climate barns as well, it shouldn't be.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The Leafs have had bad ice since the arena opened in 1999, since it was orginally supposed to be just a Basketball/Concert/Event venue, and half way thru the construction, MLSE bought the Raps and the Building and decided to put the Leafs and eventually the Rock there.

If I had to guess, the construction of the building has limited what they are able to do in terms of the ice maintenance, and thus, only a new arena, or a massive renovation, would change it.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
So looks like Babcock is one of the favorites of other players in the NHL. You wouldnt know that by listening to this board.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The Leafs have had bad ice since the arena opened in 1999, since it was orginally supposed to be just a Basketball/Concert/Event venue, and half way thru the construction, MLSE bought the Raps and the Building and decided to put the Leafs and eventually the Rock there.

If I had to guess, the construction of the building has limited what they are able to do in terms of the ice maintenance, and thus, only a new arena, or a massive renovation, would change it.

There are many ways to cool the pad down, some are portable even. It's a matter of will or perhaps they just don't think it's that bad. They all work on similar principal and if you can't get the ice temperature cold enough add more cooling. If the problem is the top of the ice, invest in surface chillers.

Ice is Ice, temperature is temperature it's not hard to fix.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Id rather lose dj than hiller. I think dj is massively overrated, ive seen him eat more mars bars on camera than times ive seen him coaching during a game. I just can’t justify praise for the weakest part of our team, it doesn’t make sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad