NHLPA Polls - Leafs Coaches Rank Highly

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
No. Those players are all fourth liners and grinders. This backs up my opinion.

Care to share some of the other voting patterns that emerged in this poll? You must be very well connected to know each player voted, almost like you commissioned the study. We'd all benefit. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: stickty111

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
Care to share some of the other voting patterns that emerged in this poll? You must be very well connected to know each player voted, almost like you commissioned the study. We'd all benefit. Thanks in advance.

Can you be more specific?

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I'm happy to leave it up to you. You know that it was only the grinders and 4th liners who voted for Babs, I had no such knowledge. I'm just hoping you'll give us more of your insights so that we all have a better understanding of what NHL players are thinking. Lot of Q and A's on that poll, come on, help us out.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008

Careful asking for any kind of post justification or insight there- This is the same poster who claimed Stamkos didn't (and JT wont ) sign here because "nobody in the league wants to play for Babcock".

Yet many players were willing to waive NTC to come here at the deadline, Patty signed here (after playing for Babs on TC).

Just none-stop opinions posed as facts.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That's the issue right there. The building is full but it's like it's empty. Your assuming that those who support are all drunk. I can attest that's far from the truth. It's a personality thing that differs from yours. Like some go to parties and dance others don't. At the ACC for Leaf games people that share your personality win out in every section of the building thus why it could be like attending a funeral which is ironic because the jumbotron keeps telling the crowed to make noise.

I've never assumed that and have been to 100's of games. I have a very good idea what the crowd is like and know that anyone that attends a game with me doesn't feel like they were "attending a funeral".

I don't care how people decide to enjoy themselves at games. Only issue I ever have is people that get up to leave or try to get back to their seats during the play, wait for a whistle.
At times I jump out of my seat and don't hold it against others that do. I do yell at the popcorn guy when he's blocking my view walking up the stairs. I do laugh at the idiots who try to start the wave in a close game and get mad when no one pays attention to them.

IMO, the crowd thing is way over blown, I'm guessing primarily by those that don't attend very often if at all.
FWIW, my seats are Purple, Row 17 where the "real fans" sit. :laugh:

No. Those players are all fourth liners and grinders. This backs up my opinion.

.....and confirms all of our thoughts.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I know people who've attended playoff games in both the ACC and the Bell Center.

From what they've said, the ACC is nowhere close to the Bell Center.
Rought comparison for two reasons:

1. Leafs haven't spent a lot of time in the playoffs recently so the benchmark isn't great
2. Tickets for regular games are insanely expensive and difficult to acquire, POs just multiply that making it more corporate. One thing that sets us apart is Maple Leaf Square. They manage to stuff thousands of rabid fans onto the street to watch the game outdoors on a large screen

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Careful asking for any kind of post justification or insight there- This is the same poster who claimed Stamkos didn't (and JT wont ) sign here because "nobody in the league wants to play for Babcock".

Yet many players were willing to waive NTC to come here at the deadline, Patty signed here (after playing for Babs on TC).

Just none-stop opinions posed as facts.

I only ask because of the certainty associated with the comment. Should the comment prove dubious...well...

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Im hearing guys like Crosby, Tavares, Teows, among others all voted that they want to play for Babcock. The list includes Patrick Kane, Karlsson, and other star players.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Well said.

Never mind comparing the Leafs atmosphere to other arenas in the league - it doesn't even compare to other TORONTO crowds.

TFC fans don't shut up for 2 hours. Raptors games are full of fans that are engaged, making noise and atmosphere.

Leaf games? Some fans don't even stand up to celebrate goals. It's awful.

Completely agree. I find watching a game at the ACC to be dull. There is minimal 'natural' noise, and I don't care how smart a fan base Leaf nation is that "we don't have to cheer over every little thing". After all, this is the same city whose fans of the other sports teams are some of, if not the, best in their respective leagues.

Reactions: Tak7

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Completely agree. I find watching a game at the ACC to be dull. There is minimal 'natural' noise, and I don't care how smart a fan base Leaf nation is that "we don't have to cheer over every little thing". After all, this is the same city whose fans of the other sports teams are some of, if not the, best in their respective leagues.
Any TFC game or Jays regular season games I've ever been to I never noticed the crowd to be much different than a Leaf crowd. Cheers go up at big moments but it isn't a steady roar of cheering going on.

I've been to playoff games for all and they are all loud.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Any TFC game or Jays regular season games I've ever been to I never noticed the crowd to be much different than a Leaf crowd.

Yeah. Which is probably the entire basis for the argument.

EDIT: Sorry...I misread and missed the 'never'. Which I would disagree with.

Last edited:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The funniest part is that iirc the voting is all secret so unless each player contacted that poster personally there is no possible way for said poster to know.
I think that poster misunderstands their name :dunno:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I've never assumed that and have been to 100's of games. I have a very good idea what the crowd is like and know that anyone that attends a game with me doesn't feel like they were "attending a funeral".

I don't care how people decide to enjoy themselves at games. Only issue I ever have is people that get up to leave or try to get back to their seats during the play, wait for a whistle.
At times I jump out of my seat and don't hold it against others that do. I do yell at the popcorn guy when he's blocking my view walking up the stairs. I do laugh at the idiots who try to start the wave in a close game and get mad when no one pays attention to them.

IMO, the crowd thing is way over blown, I'm guessing primarily by those that don't attend very often if at all.
FWIW, my seats are Purple, Row 17 where the "real fans" sit. :laugh:

.....and confirms all of our thoughts.
Interesting opinion and now that you have expressed it I see what you are talking about. I guess the argument should be are leafs fans at the ACC not rowdy enough?
Every game I've been to at the ACC people are having fun and engrossed in the game. I have been to a couple where a group of suits walked in halfway through the period didn't watch the game much then left halfway through the next period but that was only one time in the dozens of games I've seen at the ACC

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

I'm a TFC season ticket holder. I went to 2 MLS Cup Finals. Last year, in frigid, and quite frankly, dangerously cold, temparatures, I was amazed at how much noise this city can make.

The same city whose hockey arena sounds like a morgue.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I'm a TFC season ticket holder. I went to 2 MLS Cup Finals. Last year, in frigid, and quite frankly, dangerously cold, temparatures, I was amazed at how much noise this city can make.

The same city whose hockey arena sounds like a morgue.
I went to a TFC game on an afternoon in August and it was pretty quiet.
You think if the Leafs were ever in a Final the ACC would be a "morgue"?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Rought comparison for two reasons:

1. Leafs haven't spent a lot of time in the playoffs recently so the benchmark isn't great
2. Tickets for regular games are insanely expensive and difficult to acquire, POs just multiply that making it more corporate. One thing that sets us apart is Maple Leaf Square. They manage to stuff thousands of rabid fans onto the street to watch the game outdoors on a large screen

The Leafs fans standing outside in Maple Leafs Square are the true fans instead of the corporate type of people who can afford playoff tickets.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Nobody has better fans, ours just can’t afford to get in. Nashville, pppllleeeeaaazzzeee.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I went to a TFC game on an afternoon in August and it was pretty quiet.
You think if the Leafs were ever in a Final the ACC would be a "morgue"?

No, I don't.

Perhaps a better example would be the Raptors game last night. I was there too. What's your explanation there?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
No, I don't.

Perhaps a better example would be the Raptors game last night. I was there too. What's your explanation there?

An exciting game against another top team?

The ACC has been loud for Leaf games against other top teams too.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
No, I don't.

No idea, I wasn't in attendance.
I would imagine the crowd was excellent with two top Teams playing.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
An exciting game against another top team?

The ACC has been loud for Leaf games against other top teams too.

Kind of a silly comparison anyway.
Hockey you may get a few goals a game, basketball they score every 20 seconds. :laugh:

Reactions: Tak7

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Where does Babcock rank as a Leaf coach amongst these post-expansion Leaf coaches who had pretty good success with some talented Leaf teams.

Roger Neilson
Pat Burns
Pat Quinn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad