NHLPA Polls - Leafs Coaches Rank Highly

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Maybe players know who has pull in the National systems and who doesnt. No need to burn bridges when you have nothing to gain by it.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Canadian NHL Player Breakdown by Birth Province - QuantHockey.com

40% of all NHL hockey players are from Ontario. Most of which are Leafs fans. Most of those players are or were Leafs fans and would follow the leafs closer as players. Players speak to this often. They have a bias.

What is so hard to understand about what I said? I don't know. McDavid's favorite player to model himself after was Bozak, go figure. That's why you get a few extra Leafs ticks in the box from Ontario boys.

That's because for us actual hockey people who understand the game there is very little to not like about his game. After playing with an ex-Maple Leaf player for some odd reason he lost touch of his defensive game which he is now finding again BUT he plays a very high IQ level game.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Where does Babcock rank as a Leaf coach amongst these post-expansion Leaf coaches who had pretty good success with some talented Leaf teams.

Roger Neilson
Pat Burns
Pat Quinn

Below every single one of them - until he, you knows, wins a little bit.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
what are you talking about. of course it matters.
name me one arena that has more than two functions that has better ice?

do you honestly think the Leafs would pump so much money into everything else and not on proper ice making things? weather, and usage plays a factor.

Calgary. Flames/Hitmen - concerts - Roughnecks -

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I'm a TFC season ticket holder. I went to 2 MLS Cup Finals. Last year, in frigid, and quite frankly, dangerously cold, temparatures, I was amazed at how much noise this city can make.

The same city whose hockey arena sounds like a morgue.

Would you mind explaining this?

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
so basically. hockey .

Roughnecks aren't hockey neither are concerts.

Please clarify what it is you want to know.

Your question asked for an arena with better ice with more then two functions, I then provided what you requested and your reply is the above. :huh::confused:

I just found that Investors Group Stars of Ice uses the facility as well. As anyone who plays hockey knows the figure skaters rip the ice up.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
That's because for us actual hockey people who understand the game there is very little to not like about his game. After playing with an ex-Maple Leaf player for some odd reason he lost touch of his defensive game which he is now finding again BUT he plays a very high IQ level game.

Reads like a shoutout to mediocrity. Bozak is that and I suspect that McDavid admires certain elements of Bozaks game, just as "real Hockey people" do. If you can make a case for how and what McDavid has in common with Bozak, I would be intrigued to find out. I do not readily see examples of McDavid doing as his favorite player does.

Speed? Nope
Handling? Nope
Patience? Nope
Playmaking? Nope

So in reality Bozak and McDavid have nearly nothing in common save for the likelihood that McDavid dreamt of being the 1C of the Toronto Maple Leafs like so many of us did when younger.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Would you mind explaining this?

It was like -15*c, not factoring in the wind. If you weren't wrapped up properly there was a proper risk of frostbite etc., and at BMO there's no real "indoor" portion of the arena, just sheltered areas that had a few portable heaters, so there wasn't really any escaping the cold.

Add to the occasion that the game went into extra time, and then finally into a shootout, and you're talking about being outdoors, exposed for nearly 3+ hours.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Reads like a shoutout to mediocrity. Bozak is that and I suspect that McDavid admires certain elements of Bozaks game, just as "real Hockey people" do. If you can make a case for how and what McDavid has in common with Bozak, I would be intrigued to find out. I do not readily see examples of McDavid doing as his favorite player does.

Speed? Nope
Handling? Nope
Patience? Nope
Playmaking? Nope

So in reality Bozak and McDavid have nearly nothing in common save for the likelihood that McDavid dreamt of being the 1C of the Toronto Maple Leafs like so many of us did when younger.

You sure hate being proven wrong.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
It was like -15*c, not factoring in the wind. If you weren't wrapped up properly there was a proper risk of frostbite etc., and at BMO there's no real "indoor" portion of the arena, just sheltered areas that had a few portable heaters, so there wasn't really any escaping the cold.

Add to the occasion that the game went into extra time, and then finally into a shootout, and you're talking about being outdoors, exposed for nearly 3+ hours.

Thanks. I was curious because I live in Western Canada and have been going to outdoor events out here for decades. -15 is balmy.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You sure hate being proven wrong.

On the contrary, I appreciate it when its done well. You are the one confusing favorite or modeled after with acknowledgement of his skill while ignoring the probable bias that a fan would have in saying this. A fan and player that openly wanted to be a Leaf.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Roughnecks aren't hockey neither are concerts.

Please clarify what it is you want to know.

Your question asked for an arena with better ice with more then two functions, I then provided what you requested and your reply is the above. :huh::confused:

I just found that Investors Group Stars of Ice uses the facility as well. As anyone who plays hockey knows the figure skaters rip the ice up.

Roughnecks is lacrosse right
so it's basically- ice, and then the surface that the lacrosse players use and the other events.

vs. the Leafs (and others)
who have ice, and basketball, and then lacrosse, and other events

i honestly feel it's the multitude of different events that has an impact on the ice. conditions.

(sorry, i had actually hit enter early,that was my mistake)

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Thanks. I was curious because I live in Western Canada and have been going to outdoor events out here for decades. -15 is balmy.

Haha, with the wind-chill, it was far worse than -15. BMO field is located right on Lakeshore, so you had the harsh Lakefront breeze just pounding the stadium that night. It was nasty.

I had 3 layers + a hoodie on, plus thermal bottoms, woolie pyjamas, and jeans on underneath (plus warmers). My feet and legs were so cold I could barely walk back to the car after. It was nuts.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
On the contrary, I appreciate it when its done well. You are the one confusing favorite or modeled after with acknowledgement of his skill while ignoring the probable bias that a fan would have in saying this. A fan and player that openly wanted to be a Leaf.

Facts are facts as I smile and wave.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Roughnecks is lacrosse right
so it's basically- ice, and then the surface that the lacrosse players use and the other events.

vs. the Leafs (and others)
who have ice, and basketball, and then lacrosse, and other events

i honestly feel it's the multitude of different events that has an impact on the ice. conditions.

(sorry, i had actually hit enter early,that was my mistake)

I do not disagree. I was just answering the question you asked.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Haha, with the wind-chill, it was far worse than -15. BMO field is located right on Lakeshore, so you had the harsh Lakefront breeze just pounding the stadium that night. It was nasty.

I had 3 layers + a hoodie on, plus thermal bottoms, woolie pyjamas, and jeans on underneath (plus warmers). My feet and legs were so cold I could barely walk back to the car after. It was nuts.

I understand. I think to call it 'dangerous' is an exaggeration.

In any event I understand what you mean {I think}. When I went to the Grey Cup in Toronto in 07 {Saskatchewan Roughriders!!!!!} it was -1 and I mockingly thought I wouldn't even need a jacket. I did not account for the humidity and hence I was stupidly under dressed, something I would NEVER do on my home turf.

Point is, the key is dressing properly with the feet, hands and head being priorities.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Facts are facts as I smile and wave.

You have presented neither fact nor examples.

Facts are...

McDavid commented prior to draft.
Toronto was in serious running for 1st OA
Stated he would love to be a leaf
Bozak was under contract at the time
...and more.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
You have presented neither fact nor examples.

Facts are...

McDavid commented prior to draft.
Toronto was in serious running for 1st OA
Stated he would love to be a leaf
Bozak was under contract at the time
...and more.

I don't have to unless you are questioning your own credibility. YOU said that McDavid's favourite player to model himself after was Bozak, I gave you the benefit of the doubt that this was accurate.

Hence, this is now a fact. All you're now doing is speculating.

I smile and wave.

edit - correct minor error

Last edited:

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012

having lived in both cities for my adult drinking life... Edmonton is much colder. its law for cars to be sold with a block heater. i didn't even know what a block heater was before living out west. I mean i see all these electrical ports and I'm thinking.. is electric cars that big of a deal......

little did i know, one morning i kid you not. my open door bell... the one that chimes when you open the door.. bing bing bing bing.. was frozen.. it was going tooooooooooooooooong toooooooooooooooooooooong toooooooooooooooooooooong.

our winters are not comparable. not even close.

love my Ontario summers.

Reactions: Tak7

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
having lived in both cities for my adult drinking life... Edmonton is much colder. its law for cars to be sold with a block heater. i didn't even know what a block heater was before living out west. I mean i see all these electrical ports and I'm thinking.. is electric cars that big of a deal......

little did i know, one morning i kid you not. my open door bell... the one that chimes when you open the door.. bing bing bing bing.. was frozen.. it was going tooooooooooooooooong toooooooooooooooooooooong toooooooooooooooooooooong.

our winters are not comparable. not even close.

love my Ontario summers.

I don't know why this made me laugh so hard, but it did :laugh::laugh:

I don't doubt that winters out west are colder. I just think that particular night was frigidly cold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad