NHLPA Polls - Leafs Coaches Rank Highly

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
That entitlement is more anecdotal. “This Leaf fan I talked too” or “I saw this post by this Leaf fan”

While there are indeed fans of the Leafs that believed Stamkos was coming 100% and Tavares is coming 100%, those are individual cases.

The majority wanted Stamkos, and I think the majority want Tavares, and the majority will want Doughty but by no means do Leaf fans believe those players will come here for sure.

By that logic you can basically label any fanbase opinion as "anecdotal". I'm not sure that applies here.

I think this fanbase got way too ahead of itself with the Stamkos situation - there was the feverish response to the "liked" tweet, the Tavares stuff will be no different - there's already a 30-page thread on why JT coming here makes the most sense.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
By that logic you can basically label any fanbase opinion as "anecdotal". I'm not sure that applies here.

I think this fanbase got way too ahead of itself with the Stamkos situation - there was the feverish response to the "liked" tweet, the Tavares stuff will be no different - there's already a 30-page thread on why JT coming here makes the most sense.

Not really. Because if the majority of the fan base doesn’t believe the players will sign here 100%, how is it fair to paint the entire fan base with that brush?

And yes, there’s a 30 page thread about Tavares, and a lot of those posts discuss many of the suitors for Tavares, discuss that he’s still most likely staying an Islander, or discuss what would happen IF Tavares did come here. Other than the OP and sporadic replies, not many believe that Tavares is going to be a Leaf. Discussing the logistics and what-ifs regarding Tavares makes sense, considering this is a discussion board.

You can find Hab fans discussing going after Tavares as well. Blues fans discuss it.

And let’s not act like there isn’t a history of major FA’s coming here when the team is successful.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan

I seem to remember a good portion of Leaf fans that either didn't want Stamkos or didn't think he would sign here, myself included. After seeing his reported price that he was asking for from the Leafs it just reaffirmed to me that he didn't want to be here and that letting the door hit him on the way out of the ACC was a great move.

I don't remember even most Leaf fans wanting him to come here. Everyone was posting about it because it was huge news but not even close to the majority of Leaf fans wanted it from what I remember. Same thing with Tavares. For some reason some people want to completely ignore the weakness of this team and add a piece we don't need that would handicap us from actually improving the parts of the team that need improving.

Reactions: Cor and Daisy Jane

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Better game experience than the Leafs?

Those teams 110% do have a better game experience.

that's... what i said.
I wouldn't argue that they do have the better game experience and i think that's what that poll was leaning towards.

Reactions: Cor

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Better game experience than the Leafs?

Those teams 110% do have a better game experience.
What makes their game experiences better? Which games have you been to at those venues?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
What makes their game experiences better? Which games have you been to at those venues?

I've been to Pittsburgh and Chicago both for games.

Pittsburgh last year and Chicago in 2015.

Fans are louder. More engaged. Hockey OPs has better in-arena vibe, noise, and atmosphere. Nicer arenas with cool things to do. Cheaper.

The Air Canada Center is a library at the best of times. There's barely any noise / atmosphere in that building. Even now, with one of the most exciting teams in the league, it's awful.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Fans are louder. More engaged. Hockey OPs has better in-arena vibe, noise, and atmosphere. Nicer arenas with cool things to do. Cheaper.

The Air Canada Center is a library at the best of times. There's barely any noise / atmosphere in that building. Even now, with one of the most exciting teams in the league, it's awful.
I find the ACC to be quiet because the fans are engaged. Like most I pay attention to the game, I don't feel the need to make noise for the sake of making noise.
It's certainly loud when games are important, haven't been many of those in a very long time.

Cheaper, no doubt. Cool things = different, when you go to a place once it's natural that it seems better, doesn't necessarily mean they are.

I've been to 100's of games and take everything for granted. When I bring someone to their first game they find the entire experience to be fantastic.

Reactions: saffronleaf

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Perhaps Ice Girls would liven the place up a bit

colorado-avalanche-ice-girls.jpg

Reactions: hotpaws

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Perhaps Ice Girls would liven the place up a bit

colorado-avalanche-ice-girls.jpg

They have girls clean the ice at every tv timeout.

I do like the buck teeth and belly button chain though.

Last edited:

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Canadian NHL Player Breakdown by Birth Province - QuantHockey.com

40% of all NHL hockey players are from Ontario. Most of which are Leafs fans. Most of those players are or were Leafs fans and would follow the leafs closer as players. Players speak to this often. They have a bias.

What is so hard to understand about what I said? I don't know. McDavid's favorite player to model himself after was Bozak, go figure. That's why you get a few extra Leafs ticks in the box from Ontario boys.

Sure but among active players only about 50% are Canadian, and they ain't all from Ontario.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
NHLPA Player Poll 2017-18

Babcock ranked 4th among players for who they would like to play for

DJ Smith was ranked 1st among players for which NHL assistant coach they believe should be an NHL Head Coach.

Auston Matthews ranked 3rd among players for which player they’d start a team with

Leaf fans ranked 4th among players on who they believe (excluding their own) has the best fans

Mats Sundin was ranked 6th among players as their favorite player growing up

Patrick Marleau is ranked 5th among players on who the best role model in the league is

Don't show that on the main boards, Auston's overrated by us Leaf fans who are delusional

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
look at the teams that have the best ice - they only have hockey/concerts
we have to deal with:

Raptors
Rock
Concerts
Leafs.

Raptors + rock should get their own arena.

To be fair, the Leafs should be the ones moving into a new arena. The ACC was made for the Raptors and I think the name suits the Raptors well, with the Air Canada marketing.

Leafs should have their own arena though. The ice is awful.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
40% of the NHL comes from Ontario.

Yet less than 5% of NHL players think the Leafs have the best fans.

Something to think about, for those of you who think every free agent under the sun wants to come here.

That's not true if you're looking at active players. Just less than 50% of active NHLers are Canadian. They ain't all from Ontario.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
To be fair, the Leafs should be the ones moving into a new arena. The ACC was made for the Raptors and I think the name suits the Raptors well, with the Air Canada marketing.

This is the last year for the ACC, will be Scotia Bank next year.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

I think Toronto is big enough to have a second Arena, but I think that it should only be a private project. We can sell some public lands at a discount mind you. I don't mind that.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

okay. i'm fair. i don't mind getting our own arena.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
okay. i'm fair. i don't mind getting our own arena.

It's a good idea if the people don't pay for it. Public land sold at a good rate and help planning logistics and transportation, no problem.

Add: The Leafs barn should probably seat 25k for Hockey, that's 3k more than the largest Arena currently.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm not even sure where they would put their own arena, the Condos are everywhere.

That's the big problem in all of this and the reason why they won't do anything. I think any new Arena would be outside the core and for the Leafs that won't be an attendance issue.Toronto does likely need more venue space though regardless to lighten the load.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

The atmosphere sucks, no intimidation factor whatsoever at the ACC.

With teams like the Penguins, Jets, Habs etc... if they jump on you early with a couple early goals, the crowd makes it that much more of an uphill battle. There's no viciousness in the Leafs crowd, and it really sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad