NHL to Seattle Volume XIII - UPDATE 12/7 NHL will accept Seattle application - Expansion fee $650 M

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Given Seattle's history in the aviation industry, Aces wouldn't be a bad choice. Still I also kind of like Metros.
Aces has no reference anymore, besides, wasn't that rejected because gaming references, Vegas has more aviation history than Seattle does with Nellis in the background

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
If everything happens as we hope I wonder where a practice facility may be located (assuming not in City Center Arena area). My guess would be Bellevue, Kirkland, Woodinville area off the 520 for most direct route to city center and an area players and admin people may want to be.

Yup, in the east side, since I'm guessing most of the players will live there. Kirkland makes a ton of sense

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Some decent suggestions there.... Wolves, Sea Lions, Pilots... and this is nice, Emeralds. Like that.

Reactions: superdeluxe

Neill99

Oct 30, 2006
Hi when is Seattle going apply for a NHL Team?.And Seattle Evergreen or Evergreens or Seattle Sandpipers my pick for a name.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
likely not until the redevelopment of Key is finished

What a ridiculous suggestion. That is not going to happen. They aren't going to wait 3 years then apply to a NHL team. Seattle will submit the application to the NHL soon. I kind expect if all goes well, they NHL will probably award the team some time between the end of this season and next year. The team will begin playing 20-21 season.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I'm thinking they'll do the season ticket drive first. Those results can be put into the application as part of the market viability. I'm guessing it was done for Vegas in that order for that reason too.

The Vegas ST drive was early February 2015. Perhaps we'll have another couple months of quiet on this front.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm thinking they'll do the season ticket drive first. Those results can be put into the application as part of the market viability. I'm guessing it was done for Vegas in that order for that reason too.

The Vegas ST drive was early February 2015. Perhaps we'll have another couple months of quiet on this front.

I think we'll have a year or so of radio silence from Seattle. Despite what everyone will say in retrospect, I'm fairly certain the Las Vegas team hit the ice a year after it was supposed to.

Season ticket drive 02/15, hit the ice in 16-17. However, they kept everything going for an extra year. Even if they follow the Vegas plan and have a two year window, we're still a year or so away from a real ticket drive, IMO. There's only so long you can hold on to someone's money interest-free and still keep people happy, 36 months plus seems a little long for me. Hell, 24 months was too long for me.

Reactions: mouser

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

They aren't going to do a ticket drive then submit the application. It is in best interest that things can done as soon as possible. The sooner the team is awarded the better the success at marketing and getting the team rooted in Seattle. The thing is the NBA will more likely eventually will return in the next decade and if the NHL Seattle ownership group screw this up, it would be under the shadows of the nba.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
They aren't going to do a ticket drive then submit the application. It is in best interest that things can done as soon as possible. The sooner the team is awarded the better the success at marketing and getting the team rooted in Seattle. The thing is the NBA will more likely eventually will return in the next decade and if the NHL Seattle ownership group screw this up, it would be under the shadows of the nba.
oh, OK, tommy, so Key is ready now, to have hockey, that's what you're implying here, forget the ticket drive, forget OVG modifying the existing arena

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

They can do a ticket drive first. It's just more ammo towards the application. They'll wait until the retrofit of Key is within 24 months of completion. They just need to follow what Vegas did.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
They can do a ticket drive first. It's just more ammo towards the application. They'll wait until the retrofit of Key is within 24 months of completion. They just need to follow what Vegas did.

And the longer it takes for the team to be officially awarded the less time for the team to get ready for 2020-21 season and get things started on a new franchise.

Vegas was a 100% unknown as a sports market. NHL has a good enough idea on what to expect in a Seattle team. They need to let themselves have an out. There is a reason why they said they can turn in an application instead of saying ticket drive first then you can apply. Vegas did their ticket drive before the NHL even opened the expansion process. Huge difference.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
In the announcements I have seen reported after the OVG MOU was approved by the Seattle City Council all the NHL said was it would allow Seattle to apply for an expansion franchise. I did not see it specified that a ticket drive come first.

I do believe, however, it to be a very important first step before application because whether we here want to believe it or not, Seattle is an unproven NHL market much the same as Vegas imo. The sooner they start that process the better. I cannot see the NHL approving a franchise without it.

atticus

Jan 27, 2013
The other argument would be that sooner or later the NBA is going to come back to Seattle. And I would guess the NHL would like as many seasons as possible to develop a following before the NBA returns. There is benefit to being the only winter show in town when seeding a new franchise.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
In the announcements I have seen reported after the OVG MOU was approved by the Seattle City Council all the NHL said was it would allow Seattle to apply for an expansion franchise. I did not see it specified that a ticket drive come first.

I do believe, however, it to be a very important first step before application because whether we here want to believe it or not, Seattle is an unproven NHL market much the same as Vegas imo. The sooner they start that process the better. I cannot see the NHL approving a franchise without it.

But Seattle is a proven general sports market where has Vegas has its first pro team ever.

It speaks volume that Bettman is allowing a ticket drive and allowing them to turn in an application for expansion. Vegas was only allowed a ticket drive before the league opened expansion process. The fact the reason why they just didn't give us a team right then was cause of the arena wasn't finalized and under construction.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
But Seattle is a proven general sports market where has Vegas has its first pro team ever.

It speaks volume that Bettman is allowing a ticket drive and allowing them to turn in an application for expansion. Vegas was only allowed a ticket drive before the league opened expansion process. The fact the reason why they just didn't give us a team right then was cause of the arena wasn't finalized and under construction.

I don't think the NHL will just assume season tickets will sell or the OVG hockey group will pay $650M on the same assumption. Seattle being a pro sports town in and of itself does not make it an NHL slam dunk. I have no reservations that it won't support the NHL but business is business and it would be foolish, IMO, to not do some sort of ticket drive before submitting an application where deposits may not be refunded.

SomeSortOfHockey

Oct 9, 2013
Are they not able to play in the Key arena during renovations? If they pay 650 mill for a franchise the sooner they get them playing the better. Losing two or three years of revenue I assume is not ideal even if the arena is substandard. As for the NHL evening out their divisions sooner rather then later is beneficial and more importantly their US TV contract is up at the end of the 2020-2021 season. Negotiations will start before then and having Seattle playing and getting some more viewers / coverage will be pretty helpful.

All in all correct me if I am wrong but I think all sides will try their hardest to get the Seattle team up and running asap (if possible). That means 2018-2019 or 2019-2020 season start, not 2020-2021. They can play in a substandard arena undergoing renovations. Even playing in another city like Portland for a year or two may be better then not playing (after all Portland will be in their zone)

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Are they not able to play in the Key arena during renovations? If they pay 650 mill for a franchise the sooner they get them playing the better. Losing two or three years of revenue I assume is not ideal even if the arena is substandard. As for the NHL evening out their divisions sooner rather then later is beneficial and more importantly their US TV contract is up at the end of the 2020-2021 season. Negotiations will start before then and having Seattle playing and getting some more viewers / coverage will be pretty helpful.

All in all correct me if I am wrong but I think all sides will try their hardest to get the Seattle team up and running asap (if possible). That means 2018-2019 or 2019-2020 season start, not 2020-2021. They can play in a substandard arena undergoing renovations. Even playing in another city like Portland for a year or two may be better then not playing (after all Portland will be in their zone)

it's closer to 2020, tbth, and no, if the Storm are being paid to play elsewhere while the latest retrofit is underway, SSOH, Portland, OR is not an option nor is Vulcan or Allen involved with the ownership.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Lord Stanley's Cup will be in Seattle on Thursday, There will be more information tomorrow.

I am going to try to get to Snow-King if only to see what kind of turn out is there. Hope to see the Cup as well. Last saw it (got picture with it) after Pens '91 Cup win.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad