NHL to Seattle Volume XIII - UPDATE 12/7 NHL will accept Seattle application - Expansion fee $650 M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

I am going to try to get to Snow-King if only to see what kind of turn out is there. Hope to see the Cup as well. Last saw it (got picture with it) after Pens '91 Cup win.

I'm a little miffed because we had a story ready to go last week, but didn't get confirmation until this morning, I think it's going to hurt the turn out quite frankly. The full schedule is here (includes stop at city hall and a 'tour' around landmarks in Seattle:

Stanley Cup touring Seattle this Thursday

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I'm a little miffed because we had a story ready to go last week, but didn't get confirmation until this morning, I think it's going to hurt the turn out quite frankly. The full schedule is here (includes stop at city hall and a 'tour' around landmarks in Seattle:

Stanley Cup touring Seattle this Thursday

I was wondering about that. It didn't seem to be out there for anyone to know about it. The tweet above was the first I heard anything about it. Unfortunate. I came on here to post it and saw your mention of it.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

Daniels paid a visit to see the Cup downtown a short time ago. Probably will be a story on this later I would guess......

I should add that for those curious about the significance of the 5th and University street corner to local hockey history, look at this website: The Arenas

Reactions: Devonator

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
You would of thought the potential new ownership group would be all over the Cup being here today.
If it's anything like the Las Vegas process, I'm guessing you won't see the owners talking hockey much. Apparently the powers that be don't like non-owners doing owner stuff.

SeattleSharksFan

Hockey Autograph Guy
Aug 15, 2011
Seattle, WA

There were pretty massive turnouts at Stanley Cup appearances in Renton (southeast of Seattle) and Mountlake Terrace (northeast of Seattle). Short notice and right before Christmas? No problem!

The Cup was also shown alongside Seattle's other championship trophies at City Hall:

Reactions: nwhockeyfan
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
For those that care, Four of the Sweet Sixteen match ups wrap up today (Go vote if you haven't)

The Sin Bin on Twitter

Elite 8 starts tomorrow.

Already punched their Ticket:

Five Hole Region:
Emeralds vs Wolves

Gross Misconduct Region:
Totems vs Sockeyes

TBD (Likely outcomes)

Wrap Around Region:
Thunderbirds vs Kraken

Poke Checking Region:
Steelheads vs Sasquatch

Final Four:
Winner of Five Hole Region vs Winner of Wrap Around Region

Winner of Gross Misconduct Region vs Winner of Poke Checking Region.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I would really support the Seattle Steelheads, or even better the Seattle Salmon Kings

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
My understand you can't just trade mark something just do so. It has to be specific. And having the name be in a book i don't think fits the means of trademarking. Only if you are selling merchandise like hats clothing t-shirts etc where the trademark is valid.

She has copyright cause its a book but the trademark should be rejected imo.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Yeah, in that division, watching what a Shark, a Coyote, or even a Canuck (fisherman) or a Flame (flame-broiled) could do to a Sockeye would not be pretty.

Umm Sockeye is a very great hockey name and why should other teams dictate what Seattle calls their team. Its stupid reason why not to call the team sockeyes.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
Umm Sockeye is a very great hockey name and why should other teams dictate what Seattle calls their team. Its stupid reason why not to call the team sockeyes.

Was said tongue-in-cheek. If someone actually puts down $650 million, he can call his team whatever the heck he wants. (Although I've still got this picture of Bruins or Predators pulling bloodied Sockeyes out of a stream somewhere in the PNW! :naughty:)

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Was said tongue-in-cheek. If someone actually puts down $650 million, he can call his team whatever the heck he wants. (Although I've still got this picture of Bruins or Predators pulling bloodied Sockeyes out of a stream somewhere in the PNW! :naughty:)

and your not the only one to bring that reason up as to why we shouldn't call the team after fish. Sockeyes and Steeelheads are perfect NHL names. Steelheads is the state fish.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

:laugh:

I should also add but the story that is linked in the Daniels tweet also reported that a Microsoft lawyer is attempting to get the Seattle Steelheads name trademarked himself. Should be interesting to see what ends up happening with this. I'm still in the Metropolitan camp, BTW.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Just chiming in to note that when Boise fans "picked" Steelheads for their now-ECHL team ("picked" is in quotes because we find, more often than not, that the name-the-team vote/contests are kind of a joke), Sockeyes was right up there. I think 33% of these names were there, which tells you how much gets shared between a desert-ridden inland Northwest outpost and a quaint fishing village like Seattle.

The bigger irony: it's not Boise that smells like fish.

(Portland has spoken ;) )

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Just chiming in to note that when Boise fans "picked" Steelheads for their now-ECHL team ("picked" is in quotes because we find, more often than not, that the name-the-team vote/contests are kind of a joke), Sockeyes was right up there. I think 33% of these names were there, which tells you how much gets shared between a desert-ridden inland Northwest outpost and a quaint fishing village like Seattle.

The bigger irony: it's not Boise that smells like fish.

(Portland has spoken ;) )

So, PCS, let's say Allen decides to get a team....what would be a good Portland NHL team name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad