NHL to Seattle Volume XIII - UPDATE 12/7 NHL will accept Seattle application - Expansion fee $650 M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Tawnos, not only did I take the time to explain the origins of the Flames moniker as you were confused & you didnt even bother to "like" it much less respond... your now getting up my other nostril in claiming you know the history of the Metropolitan's name and understand why fans in Seattle might want to tag an NHL franchise with that moniker however..... I have my doubts that you do in fact understand its full significance (beyond the Stanley Cup, PCHA years) and why the club was called the Metropolitan's in the first place.... amIright?. Ha?...

And yes, it is decidedly an early 20th Century term, speaks to the age of American Art Deco... and that in itself a highly marketable commodity in terms of design execution, from colorization to logo design & so on & so forth. Could do a real bang-up job of it with that handle; Seattle Metropolitan's. Speakeasy's, Bootleggers, Rumrunners, early flight with a nod to Boeing etc... I like it.... they were called that after a company called the Metropolitan Building Company which built much of the city as its known today during this period, very important player historically beyond hockey, friends & business associates of the Lumber Baron Patrick family of BC who founded the PCHA, the Patricks of course one of the Royal Families of the Game & the NHL.

You don’t need to educate me on anything. I already know this stuff. I know the origin of the name. I know the history of Atlanta. I wasn’t confused about where the name came from. I’m just miffed that anyone would choose it. Not agreeing with a choice doesn’t mean not understanding a choice. None of your posts address anything I said, although they could serve to educate other people.

Hull and Oates

May 8, 2012
St. Louis
Yeah....just rename a division to appease an expansion franchise.

While we're at it....the Seattle Metros demand PUCK be replaced with BUCK, as it will align with Starbucks endorsements.

No big deal....just call the puck a buck from now on. Right?

Changing stuff every other year to appease people isn't cool.

The 'real' name of the 'Metropolitan' Division is the Patrick Division anyway, so go back to that. And yes, Seattle Metropolitans all the way.

Reactions: SunDancer

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Posting this only because I caught a little flack for suggesting Las Vegas Thunderbirds a few years ago. :laugh:
web1_web_malarchuk.jpg
This is so much better then the golden knights...

The seattle team should be the Thunderbirds.

Reactions: superdeluxe

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Too bad they couldn't get their crap together in the mid 70s. The Seattle Totems had the best uniforms in the WHL and a perfect sounding name.

This is the name I support most strongly - not only is it the name that most identifies with Seattle's storied hockey history, it's a great tribute to our native American heritage in the Northwest.

If the guy above who thinks that it "sounds stupid" would care to do a little research, he might reach the same conclusion.

By the way, everything "sounds stupid" when you first hear it.

Reactions: Killion
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
I've felt this way for years now; just rename the WHL team for the greater good. But I follow Portland's WHL team, so ofc I would say that.

Yeah, the Winterhawk fans will love to see all those Seattle Thunderbird jerseys walking around their city. They already have problems when we chant 'Portland Sucks' lol

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
*ahem*. The First Match of the Gross Misconduct region is up now.

Totems vs Explorers. Don't let me down:

Full disclosure, that is me :) (well also me, its not my personal account, but you get it :)_)

Reactions: Doctor No
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
This is the name I support most strongly - not only is it the name that most identifies with Seattle's storied hockey history, it's a great tribute to our native American heritage in the Northwest.

If the guy above who thinks that it "sounds stupid" would care to do a little research, he might reach the same conclusion.

Seriously, how many people thought it was a horrible idea to name the Pittsburgh team..the Penguins.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
names are not stupid, it's the color schematics which don't work.....

I've had several people told me that don't want any kind of fish representing the Seattle name. That they sound like minor league teams (well that is because there are 2 steelhead teams in Hockey. One in ECHL and one in OHL I believe)

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I like the Seattle Warriors, myself.
I've said it a few times around a few different things, but I think the internet and Google have ended the period where pro teams will share names with pro teams from another league. I'm guessing the Jets are the last time we'll see that happen by choice, and there's an obvious history behind that decision. There was apparently some marketing guys in Winnipeg that didn't like the decision to return to Jets when it was made, as well.

Due to that, I think the Seattle Metropolitans/Mets are off the table. The history's just not recent/strong enough to justify the unmarketability.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brodie

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
They will have to pay me my royalty for the logo... :thumbu:

.... :laugh: you behind that new program at various US College & University campuses... "LLama Therapy"?.... new program.... apparently the creatures have a "soothing effect" on people... like "pet therapy" for the stressed out. Undergrads overwhelmed by the pressures of academics or whatever can go hangout with the Llama... meditate.... Seriously, what happens when they hit the real world & get jobs?. Llama Zones on the rooftops of office towers? In parks? That your plan?... Very shrewd. Brilliant in fact.... Still, pretty laid back animals so not sure naming what is supposed to be a high energy high performance team after them a real good idea.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
.... :laugh: you behind that new program at various US College & University campuses... "LLama Therapy"?.... new program.... apparently the creatures have a "soothing effect" on people... like "pet therapy" for the stressed out. Undergrads overwhelmed by the pressures of academics or whatever can go hangout with the Llama... meditate.... Seriously, what happens when they hit the real world & get jobs?. Llama Zones on the rooftops of office towers? In parks?.... Pretty laid back animals so not sure naming what is supposed to be a high energy high performance team after them a real good idea.

Lull the other team into a deep, relaxed state...then score your goals...perfect strategy! :D

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

It still sounds stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->