NHL to Seattle Volume XIII - UPDATE 12/7 NHL will accept Seattle application - Expansion fee $650 M

Status
Not open for further replies.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Yeah, the Winterhawk fans will love to see all those Seattle Thunderbird jerseys walking around their city. They already have problems when we chant 'Portland Sucks' lol

Meh, they'll just have to deal with it.:D The T-birds have awesome unis, worthy of an NHL club.

Meanwhile I also like Steelheads and Breakers, but don't really want to see another team called the Sea-somethings.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Breaking into the continuing discussion of team names with this breaking news that will impact the transportation discussions surrounding the arena:

The head of the Seattle city's Department of Transportation, as Daniels reports in this tweet, has stepped down. He is being replaced for the time being by his deputy. So these discussions will have different players in them very, very soon.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Breaking into the continuing discussion of team names with this breaking news that will impact the transportation discussions surrounding the arena:

The head of the Seattle city's Department of Transportation, as Daniels reports in this tweet, has stepped down. He is being replaced for the time being by his deputy. So these discussions will have different players in them very, very soon.

I wouldn't worry on how it impacts discussion on the Key arena redevelopments.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Nintendo of America is located in Washington (Redmond I think?) and the company used to own the Mariners. Maybe they buy the arena naming rights and get the team name with it.

I'm all in for the Squirtles.

Nintendo's headquarters are located in Redmond, yes, just down the street from Microsoft it so happens, but no, I can't see them buying the naming rights. More likely a tech company such as Amazon or Google would get their hands on it.

And yes, I agree with Tommy, that name is dumb. I myself am for the Metropolitans with the Thunderbirds second. I'm not in favor of Totems btw. While that name does have some history here in Seattle, the political climate these days when it comes to team nicknames associated with Native Americans, as this one is, would probably make the name controversial with some in the region IMO, and as such that's not something I would want Oak View to have to mix itself up with.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I've had several people told me that don't want any kind of fish representing the Seattle name. That they sound like minor league teams (well that is because there are 2 steelhead teams in Hockey. One in ECHL and one in OHL I believe)

The Sharks are major league. Apart from the playoffs, anyway. They're named after a fish.

Any name that's closely related to something used in a major league already is going to come across as derivative. Just go ahead and forge a new identity that you like. Major league names become "major league" because major league teams use them. Nobody laughs about the Toronto Maple Leaves anymore, do they? It's just accepted.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Seattle-Kraken-jerseys.jpg
Kraken-logo.png

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
It's actually @sparkychewbarky . He had some great designs for the Las Vegas Knights and Las Vegas Aces as well.

Indeed. great guy, poster & artist. Loved those Vegas Aces renderings, whole concept quite brilliant so it was with interest I noted you guys do have a team coming on-line called... Las Vegas Aces..... hopefully they had the good sense to hire sparky... dunno.... or that mebbe sparky copyrighted the name huh? :naughty:

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
If everything happens as we hope I wonder where a practice facility may be located (assuming not in City Center Arena area). My guess would be Bellevue, Kirkland, Woodinville area off the 520 for most direct route to city center and an area players and admin people may want to be.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
It's actually @sparkychewbarky . He had some great designs for the Las Vegas Knights and Las Vegas Aces as well.

The interweaving of Seattle Metropolitian logo/colors and look, with a modern name, elaborate logo is very impressive. That's Skillz.

I've always been perplexed why the Cleveland baseball team and Washington football team can't aim for that route. If you unveil a "Hey, we're changing to the logo" news, the fans will go nuts. But if you have something THAT AWESOME, then it's "Oh, okay."

Like Cleveland could do a logo of a very authentic head dress, in profile. And instead of being on a head, it's on a C for Cleveland.

But I digress.

I want to see the Seattle Metropolitans, and have them use the their three-color stripe throwbacks as an alternate. Because I like history, classic looks and old school team names. Most new team names irritate me (Lightning, Avalanche, Wild; Heat, Thunder, Magic, Wizards; Devil Rays). It's so much better when you go retro (Ottawa Senators, Winnipeg Jets, Washington Nationals, etc).

But if they went Seattle Kracken with THAT LOOK, I'd be perfectly okay with it. It's got the nod to the history of the franchise. You sell it like a "We were the Metropolitans, but we rebranded a little" situation.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
If everything happens as we hope I wonder where a practice facility may be located (assuming not in City Center Arena area). My guess would be Bellevue, Kirkland, Woodinville area off the 520 for most direct route to city center and an area players and admin people may want to be.
shoreline

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

Guess here - unless they decide to use an existing rink (SnoKing down in Kent, Castle Ice in the Renton Highlands out by Liberty High School or Olympic View in Mountlake Terrace) - is probably somewhere on the Eastside. Ex-NHL'er Jamie Huscroft I believe owns the Castle Ice facility so he may be able to work something out with them initially while they get something built.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Indeed. great guy, poster & artist. Loved those Vegas Aces renderings, whole concept quite brilliant so it was with interest I noted you guys do have a team coming on-line called... Las Vegas Aces..... hopefully they had the good sense to hire sparky... dunno.... or that mebbe sparky copyrighted the name huh? :naughty:

Given Seattle's history in the aviation industry, Aces wouldn't be a bad choice. Still I also kind of like Metros.

Reactions: Killion

Brodie

the dream of the 90s is alive in Detroit
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Count me as a vote for Thunderbirds. That does a lot of the same things as totems but it wouldn't be nearly as controversial.

Make the logo the full bird, like below, to avoid being derivative of the Seahawks.

osprey-clipart-black-hawk-14.jpg

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Count me as a vote for Thunderbirds. That does a lot of the same things as totems but it wouldn't be nearly as controversial.

Make the logo the full bird, like below, to avoid being derivative of the Seahawks.

And the in-arena sound crew can make "Thunderbirds Are Go" references all game long.

Thunderbirds_Are_Go_Logo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->