NHL to Seattle Volume XIII - UPDATE 12/7 NHL will accept Seattle application - Expansion fee $650 M

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
:laugh:

I should also add but the story that is linked in the Daniels tweet also reported that a Microsoft lawyer is attempting to get the Seattle Steelheads name trademarked himself. Should be interesting to see what ends up happening with this. I'm still in the Metropolitan camp, BTW.

What makese it stupid that the person is doing for just the heck of it. And you need an actually reason to trade mark something not just trade marking it for the sake of doing so.

other groups that want to trade mark something can challenge the original trademark as being invaid.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
and your not the only one to bring that reason up as to why we shouldn't call the team after fish. Sockeyes and Steeelheads are perfect NHL names. Steelheads is the state fish.

Truth is, both of those names sound pretty good for a hockey team. They have a bit of an aggressive sound to the ear, and they represent the PNW.

Quick history of how North American teams got these plural "mascot" nicknames, whereas most sports teams in the rest of the world don't have them: The first organized baseball team was guys from the Knickerbocker Club in New York, a men's social and athletic club. Soon, others, like the Atlantic Club, the Mutual Club (mostly guys who worked in the stock market), the Athletic Club in Philadelphia, etc. picked up the sport. Once the sport became popular enough to be covered in the press, writers took to calling them the (New York) "Knickerbockers," the "Mutuals," the (Philadelphia) "Athletics," etc. for short, instead of writing out the whole name of the club each time. It was catchy and worked well in the popular press (easier to set in the old linotype days), and when new baseball teams were formed, owners and sportswriters copied the mascot name style, even when the new teams weren't connected to an athletic or social club.

In Canada, the oldest remaining pro hockey team was originally part of the Club Athletique de Canadien, This athletic club's hockey team became the Canadiens. As in baseball, newer hockey teams used the plural mascot style, one exception being that for a while Ottawa was called the Silver Seven, not the "Sevens."

So by history and regional heritage, any of these names would be good ones, and I don't think an outsider like me really should have any say, although I'm partial to historical team names like "Metropolitans," but I don't think that's going to happen. Seattle's owner and fans should get their choice and I'm sure it'll be a good one.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Don't they need permission from Springfield to have Thunderbirds name?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Don't they need permission from Springfield to have Thunderbirds name?

No one really knows what Seattle ownership will come up with, but that's 2 or 3 years off... but likely not.... Springfield seems to have a facination with birds, though, but that team just went retro with the Indians nickname...

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
No one really knows what Seattle ownership will come up with, but that's 2 or 3 years off... but likely not.... Springfield seems to have a facination with birds, though, but that team just went retro with the Indians nickname...
No, that was a promotion night. They are the thunderbirds. They have the first rights don't they?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
No, that was a promotion night. They are the thunderbirds. They have the first rights don't they?

again, no one knows what Seattle ownership is thinking, I think their focus, at least OVG, IS, on Key and current standards, chizzler.... Seattle has plenty of time to file an expansion application....

it has nothing to do with Springfield, per se... it's just a potential nickname, see Springfield could've done that with the Falcons history, too...

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
A lot of talk about a potential name and what ''Seattle ownership is thinking and doing and breathing'' and here I am still wondering who actually is the Bill Foley of Seattle.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
. . . and here I am still wondering who actually is the Bill Foley of Seattle.

The challenge might be even bigger than that. Because now the NHL isn't saying it wants another Bill Foley - it wants a Bill Foley plus $150 million more. Might be a tall order to pencil out a profit from that, even in what's expected to be a good market in Seattle.

Reactions: powerstuck
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
The challenge might be even bigger than that. Because now the NHL isn't saying it wants another Bill Foley - it wants a Bill Foley plus $150 million more. Might be a tall order to pencil out a profit from that, even in what's expected to be a good market in Seattle.
A lot of talk about a potential name and what ''Seattle ownership is thinking and doing and breathing'' and here I am still wondering who actually is the Bill Foley of Seattle.

David Bonderman and Jerry Bruckheimer. I mean these guys were identified months ago.

I thought it was fairly clear and been mentioned multiple times who the Hockey guys were.

Unless you are insinuating something else by saying 'who is the Bill Foley of Seattle'

They wouldn't have put in the application, if they didn't have the $$$ to get it done. Bonderman is worth 2.5 Billion alone.

I mean we are going to start a ticket drive shortly.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

.... you mustve missed the memo ps. as per SuperD above. ;)

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I've always wanted the Warriors name for Seattle. Also as it relates to the divisions; Vegas is doing good now but would they put 2 relatively new franchises in the same division or would they put Vegas in the Central and Seattle in the Pacific? Can't see there being 9 teams in the Pacific, some realignment will have to happen.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I've always wanted the Warriors name for Seattle. Also as it relates to the divisions; Vegas is doing good now but would they put 2 relatively new franchises in the same division or would they put Vegas in the Central and Seattle in the Pacific? Can't see there being 9 teams in the Pacific, some realignment will have to happen.

WE really cannot say until the franchise is awarded, but doubtful it'll be the Warriors, too much with Golden State and who would be Seattle's splash brothers, and/or Steph Curry (yes, KD was drafted by the Sonics) but it'll depend on who you break up in the other division... the prevailing thought would be after Vegas, place the other in the division that Vegas wasn't in.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
still a massive fan of the Seattle Kraken...those jerseys that were created a few years ago were the coolest damn things I have ever seen...I would 110% support that team just for that jersey and team name alone...

They aren't going to be called the Kraken. Its too cartoonish for a NHL team.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
So, PCS, let's say Allen decides to get a team....what would be a good Portland NHL team name?

The name that always comes up prominently for any Team X is Pioneers. Portland (maybe more technically Oregon City) is the business end of the Oregon Trail.

In a crazy world where a Portland NHL team is imminent, that's the way to bet, though you'll definitely have four groups of other thought:
  • Those who think Rosebuds (the team that went to a Stanley Cup final before Seattle actually won one) is wonderfully subversive of the dominant sports paradigm.
  • Or those who think Pucky McPuckface is wonderfully subversive of the dominant sports paradigm.
  • Those in rural Oregon who think Buckaroos (the old pro WHL name) should be permanently stapled to Portland because they think they run Earth.
  • People who actually think Winterhawks are a cool name and kind of miss how it's intentionally close to Blackhawks... those who know the history know why the Winterhawks basically have the Chicago sweaters.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
The name that always comes up prominently for any Team X is Pioneers. Portland (maybe more technically Oregon City) is the business end of the Oregon Trail.

In a crazy world where a Portland NHL team is imminent, that's the way to bet, though you'll definitely have four groups of other thought:
  • Those who think Rosebuds (the team that went to a Stanley Cup final before Seattle actually won one) is wonderfully subversive of the dominant sports paradigm.
  • Or those who think Pucky McPuckface is wonderfully subversive of the dominant sports paradigm.
  • Those in rural Oregon who think Buckaroos (the old pro WHL name) should be permanently stapled to Portland because they think they run Earth.
  • People who actually think Winterhawks are a cool name and kind of miss how it's intentionally close to Blackhawks... those who know the history know why the Winterhawks basically have the Chicago sweaters.

Definitely the Pioneers is my favorite. But the Buckaroos is intriguing.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
They wouldn't have put in the application, if they didn't have the $$$ to get it done. Bonderman is worth 2.5 Billion alone.

My point wasn't that there isn't someone who might put up $650 for a franchise. It's that the debt load at that cost makes it very difficult to ever turn a profit. And even if you have an ownership group that doesn't have to borrow to raise the $650 million, but can cash out other investments, there's a big opportunity cost to that - in lost earnings from the other investments - that has to be factored in. Even at $500 million, posters on these boards were skeptical a new expansion team could overcome the debt load, which could run $20-30 million a year, and turn a profit. Few NHL teams have profits higher than that before debt repayments.

I'm a believer in more expansion. But if the NHL is going to price those teams that high, they're basically counting almost entirely on the value being returned to the owners in the form of higher re-sale prices, not in much of a realistic chance of making a year-to-year profit. It might fit the wishes of greedy current owners to see their franchise values ratcheted up this way, but no business analyst would say it's a good long-term model, and it even has a touch of Ponzi scheme to it: Except maybe in the biggest markets, NHL teams are only really worth that much as investments as long as there's another potential owner someday willing to roll the dice that franchise values keep rising . . . forever. And that seems pretty dicey in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad