Aug 6, 2012
Rumour is that Columbus isn't sold on Jesse P. If this is true, how about this:

To Columbus:
- 2nd overall pick
- 22nd overall pick

To Winnipeg:

- 3rd overall pick
- Zachary Werenski

Fair? Perhaps jets throw in Petan or Roslovic?

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Why would Columbus pay that price to move up when rumors are they want one of Brown or Keller. They want a center. why would the Jets trade down? Plus i don't think Werenski is an option, he's actually exactly what CBJ needs, a cost controlled player.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

To Columbus:
- 2nd overall pick
- 22nd overall pick

To Winnipeg:

- 3rd overall pick
- Zachary Werenski

You don't seem to realize the difference between 2OA and 3OA here.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I don't think the difference between Laine and Pulju is as much as some have convinced themselves it is. It wouldn't shock me one bit for the Jets to prefer the all around 200 foot game of Pulju to the Sniper.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

To Columbus:
- 2nd overall pick
- 22nd overall pick

To Winnipeg:

- 3rd overall pick
- Zachary Werenski

Everything that has come out of Columbus has been that 3rd pick is theirs, unless someone wants to overpay like crazy.

The rumours(guesses) have been around Columbus wanting C after they traded Johansen for Jones, and Laine wouldn't be the answer to that, + Werenski looks like a beauty, elite prospect.

Last edited:

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg
A few more to watch

Will Bitten
Wade Allison
Henrik Borgstrom
Josh Mahura
Cole Candella

4rd Conner Hall Ld 6'2" Cdn or Kristians Rubins 6'4" 216 Latvian Ld
5rd Jack Lafountaine G 6'2" or Riley Stillman 6' Ld
6rd Mathias From 6'1" Denmark or Hayden Verbeek 5'10" CDN forwards
7th Luke McInnis 5'11"Ld USA or Mikael Hakkarainen Fin

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Not when those stats tell half the story. Not every player that achieves NHL success, had major statistical success in their amateur days.

If stats are all that matters, reduce your scouting staff to minimal, in lieu of scouring stat sheets to determine the BPA.

Done a bit of research on Stanley, and he does fit a player whose role heavily influenced his output, not his skill. He rates average to well in skating and puck handling, has solid defensive IQ, and when his role increased in the offensiveness, he handled it well and showed he is capable of producing.

Size and strength are his key attributes, but ya, if he fully develops he could be a really solid big tough NHL Dman that we need on our left side.

The point is you could do that and beat half the teams, but that's an old argument here we probably shouldn't get Into.

Stats, including underlying ones that account for usage such as ppm etc, are generally more predictive then scouting reports.

It's IMO closer to 70%-30%

And when the numbers get farther apart, they become even more important.

I think stanly has a chance. I think he's a good prospect. I do not not believe he is I one of the top 36 prospects.

That said I wouldn't absolutely hate him at 36 depending who was left but there's likely to be a lot of guys I'd be far more excited to get.

It's likely there are guys I like as top 25s available at that pick , and passing on one of those for a guy Id out in the 45-50 range is my main issue fear

If magic my exact top 35 is gone at 36 then I don't hate that pick so much (as then it's reach of 10 as opposed to 20 in my rankings)

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
When players are injured for the majority of their draft season. Stats don't tell you much. Thats where traditional scouting can take over.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Absolutely. I just have a lot of flags when the stats and scouts are very out of line with each other.

Again, at 36 I wouldn't loathe the pick but would still prefer a guy like dineen, neimelainen or a faller by the stats rankings

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Absolutely. I just have a lot of flags when the stats and scouts are very out of line with each other.

Again, at 36 I wouldn't loathe the pick but would still prefer a guy like dineen, neimelainen or a faller by the stats rankings

Players who really took off in the second half of the season seem to have some appeal to this org. A poor/slow start can taint numbers at times.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Not when those stats tell half the story. Not every player that achieves NHL success, had major statistical success in their amateur days.

If stats are all that matters, reduce your scouting staff to minimal, in lieu of scouring stat sheets to determine the BPA.

Done a bit of research on Stanley, and he does fit a player whose role heavily influenced his output, not his skill. He rates average to well in skating and puck handling, has solid defensive IQ, and when his role increased in the offensiveness, he handled it well and showed he is capable of producing.

Size and strength are his key attributes, but ya, if he fully develops he could be a really solid big tough NHL Dman that we need on our left side.

Opportunity cost is a big deal too.

I'm 110% for combining stats and traditional scouting (after all, that's a big part of my $ business). They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

That said, it has been shown you could just go by stats only and do pretty much as good as the average NHL team:
http://jetsnation.ca/2014/6/26/sham-sharron-takes-over-all-30-draft-tables

Whileee

May 29, 2010

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-draft-auston-matthews-vs-patrik-laine/c-280970416?tid=277764372

When Laine was recently told that the center is the more desirable option between two equally talented players, he thought long and hard before finally offering a defense.

"I took one faceoff for Finland at the [2016 IIHF World Championship] and won it, so I'm 100 percent on faceoffs," he said with a grin. "I never was a centerman but if the team drafting me wanted to kind of put me there, I would try and be good at that position."

Just beautiful
:laugh:

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Opportunity cost is a big deal too.

I'm 110% for combining stats and traditional scouting (after all, that's a big part of my $ business). They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

That said, it has been shown you could just go by stats only and do pretty much as good as the average NHL team:
http://jetsnation.ca/2014/6/26/sham-sharron-takes-over-all-30-draft-tables

tumblr_mjqj2cVDA01s32n64o5_1280.png

Whileee

May 29, 2010
What makes you think that I think that? :/

Re-check the conversation. We're talking about the merits/importance of an individual's scoring in a general sense.

I didn't take the time to put the right smilies, I guess. I was joshing.

I'm a fan of using stats heavily for prospect ranking.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
... which reminds me of Tyler Benson...

I have never seen the guy play so I'm neutral on him. If someone decides to become a true prospect watcher/geek it's like a full time job.

I'm comfortable just being semi- educated :)

ComplexChris

#RideTheLAINE
Feb 27, 2014
Lainepeg
https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-draft-auston-matthews-vs-patrik-laine/c-280970416?tid=277764372

When Laine was recently told that the center is the more desirable option between two equally talented players, he thought long and hard before finally offering a defense.

"I took one faceoff for Finland at the [2016 IIHF World Championship] and won it, so I'm 100 percent on faceoffs," he said with a grin. "I never was a centerman but if the team drafting me wanted to kind of put me there, I would try and be good at that position."

Just beautiful
:laugh:

I want this guy on our team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad