NHL Entry Draft Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Leafs fans posting in the Laine thread 10x more than Jets fans :laugh:

That's because they have a vested interest in tearing down Laine so they can prop up Auston Matthews and justify their 1st overall. There are also figuratively a million more Leafs fans than Jets fans. I've mentally checked out of the prospect board a couple of months ago because of the Laine topics. For the smaller, unhyped prospects, the board is fairly decent. The board becomes a cesspool when you get up there with the big prospects.

Hype aside, I am so very grateful that we even have the opportunity to be in the position to discuss who would be the better player of the two of them. Either Laine or Matthews is ours. This is huge. If this were any other year, we'd be discussing choosing between Tkachuk, Juolevi, or PLD.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Because Laine more or less "missed out" on last season due to the knee injury he really didn't get too much international praise until the past half year. There's a possibility there wouldn't even be a discussion of the first overall had he been healthy. It makes it hard to predict his development trajectory at this very moment because the kid took a massive setback last season and nearly had to re-learn how to skate again. However in local circles (in Tampere) the hockey people have been aware of Laine and that insane potential for years now, knowing he was going to be a truly unique and extremely skilled player. You guys couldn't have had this lottery luck in a much better time.

Yeah, the Laine thread in the main section is almost unreadable thanks to the endless amount of insecure Leaf people trying to boost up their confidence. I much rather talk about the kid here than there.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Because Laine more or less "missed out" on last season due to the knee injury he really didn't get too much international praise until the past half year. There's a possibility there wouldn't even be a discussion of the first overall had he been healthy. It makes it hard to predict his development trajectory at this very moment because the kid took a massive setback last season and nearly had to re-learn how to skate again. However in local circles (in Tampere) the hockey people have been aware of Laine and that insane potential for years now, knowing he was going to be a truly unique and extremely skilled player. You guys couldn't have had this lottery luck in a much better time.

Yeah, the Laine thread in the main section is almost unreadable thanks to the endless amount of insecure Leaf people trying to boost up their confidence. I much rather talk about the kid here than there.

Before the knee injury, Laine was supposed to take part in that season's u-18 tournament when he was only a u-16. One has to be curious about how he would have done there. He was 12+5=17 in 7 gp in u-17s that season before that point. Side note, wasn't it due to that exact u-18 tournament that player x became consensus... It really is a shame we never got to see how Laine would have done there.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Draft needs to be tomorrow so that we have something new to talk about

it makes me wonder: how much is the Jets' front office doing regarding researching the 2nd overall pick?
think they're still doing work or they've been done for a while?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
it makes me wonder: how much is the Jets' front office doing regarding researching the 2nd overall pick?
think they're still doing work or they've been done for a while?

Chevy said in his presser their list is pretty much in ink. I believe they basically finalize their list in scouting meetings after the combine.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
We must be reading different boards. The Laine hype has been completely ridiculous on this very board.

Judging by subsequent responses it looks like others are reading the very same board as me. We're barely talking about Laine here in comparison to the Leafs with Matthews or other teams in past years. Heck, we're still somewhat unsure if the Jets will take Laine or Pulujarvi.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Leafs fans posting in the Laine thread 10x more than Jets fans :laugh:

I don't know if it's just sad or pathetic or both. So many Strawmans too. Lot's of, "So now Laine is better than Lemieux?" when literally no one has said that sort of thing.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Thought I'd share this with you guys. The short story behind it was I had a b'day present wish on early May to get Laine's jersey with an autograph but girlfriend managed to get only the jersey. Having noticed the disappointment she turned every rock possible and finally landed on this:
View attachment 90443

Thought it was impossible to get one with an autograph especially after the playoffs but living in Tampere and having a very stubborn girlfriend has it's benefits ;)
Can't figure a better way to start a weekend!

Maybe one of you will send me one in the Jets jersey in the future! :nod:

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I hate when I see jets.com have an article on Logan Stanley terrifies me

HFJets be like...

Scared-Cat.jpg

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I hate when I see jets.com have an article on Logan Stanley terrifies me

I like him, not at 22 but for sure at 36. The only reason he is rated low around here is his offensive stats. When you understand the system he played in, what was being asked of him, and the influence that had on those numbers, you quickly can put them into context.

Skates well for a player his size. He is at his best as a stay at home, physical defenseman that can carry the puck and make solid passes when needed. He is left handed, big, has some nastiness to his game, decent shot.

He is the type of Dman we could use in the third pairing. I like Stanley, but know I am on an island around here.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
My pre Draft Jets picks based on

- BPA
- Jets drafting tendencies
- Organization needs

2. Patrick Laine F Tappara Finland. I think it is pretty much done deciding on who they are going to take at 2 and it will be Laine. Things could not have aligned up much more perfect then this. He is what the Jets really need, a guy who can put the puck in the net at will. The Jets current lineup has a lot of everything except that pure goal scorer and we are going to get one here. He will make our PP better and he will score those goals that teams need at the those times in a game.

22. Brett Howden C Moose Jaw I think at this spot it is more a matter of who is going to be here. The Jets have shown that will take a BPA over someone they like later in the draft although I think taking Kyle Connor at 17 last year was a no brainer. I think if one of Fabbro/Bean/McAvoy are here they probably look at taking one of those guys but I have a feeling those guys all go in the middle of the 1st round. If that is the case the Jets have 2 choices here. Look at one of the high scoring waterbugs or look at one of the big powerforwards. I have pondered what the Jets might do here and I think they rank centers or players who can play center fairly high and so I think they take a shot at a center here and pass on the power wingers.

36. Logan Stanley D Windsor. This is where I look at what the Jets like to do as well and they like guys that have fallen out of the first round and they don't mind taking a smaller guy here as well. I think if one of those small point guys falls especially if he is a center the Jets could go there. One of the D that falls from the 1st like Clague or Stanely could be a possibility as well. They may also like certain players that may be ranked lower here too. I went with Stanley here as a project big D man.

97. Max Lajoie D Swift Current. The Jets generally like two types of players in here and that is either D or skilled forwards. There is a couple of ways this could turn out maybe the look at forwards like Maxime Fortier or Kyle Maksimovich or look at D like Lajoie,Greenway or Gleason here. I went with Lajoie here just because I have seen him play a lot and he is an excellent skater and puck mover.

127. Jack Lafontaine G Jainesville. The Jets have certain likes later in the draft. They like goalies,they like big project players and they like guys that bust their ass off. I think they go with an organizational need here and go back to lesser league where they find one diamond and hope to mine another. Lafontaine is a good size goalie with athletic ability. Going to a place we know well next year...Michigan

157. Hudson Elynuik F Spokane. The Jets are not afraid of taking guys that are projects and I think they would love a guy like Elynuik to work with. He could be a solid bottom 6 winger in the NHL some day in the vein of a Dwight King type of forward. Doesn't hurt that he is former Jet Pat Elynuiks son either.

187. Ondrej Vala D Kamloops. What is a Jets draft with out a late round euro pick? I don't know if Vala will be around this later but I think he could be a steal of a pick. Size,skill and toughness is what you get for this 1st year WHLer. Lots to like here for Jet fans and he should have an elevated role next year with the Blazers.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
That statements kind of like saying people don't buying lottery tickets here because they are long odds.

The odds of success (which scoring stats are a very heavy indicator of) are all that really matter.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Before the knee injury, Laine was supposed to take part in that season's u-18 tournament when he was only a u-16. One has to be curious about how he would have done there. He was 12+5=17 in 7 gp in u-17s that season before that point. Side note, wasn't it due to that exact u-18 tournament that player x became consensus... It really is a shame we never got to see how Laine would have done there.

Yeah he would have been part of the U18 team no doubts. Laine was flatout destroying the competition in the u17s. I believe that was the year they had the five nations u17 tournament in Sweden (Sundsvall) where Matthews played as well. Laine was scoring hattrick after another in those games against guys two years older and Redline had him early favourite to go #1 at that point. Matthews was completely overshadowed there, personally don't even remember him from those games. Later on the injury happened and hockey world just seemed to forget about the guy almost entirely. Now that I'm thinking and looking back, I'm almost happy about how things went down. Couldn't bare the thought of having Laine play for the Leafs.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Is elniyuk an overage? I recigonize the name so I'm wondering if he showed up in my personal lists/models.

I like lajoi there a lot.

Not sold on Bowden or Stanley at those spots.

Though I'm down on Stanley he'd be an interesting guy to have. If he explodes in offence next season that all of a sudden looks pretty special.

However I'm pretty doubtful of that happening... I

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
That statements kind of like saying people don't buying lottery tickets here because they are long odds.

The odds of success (which scoring stats are a very heavy indicator of) are all that really matter.

I often wonder about that. Myers had 19 points his draft year. Oddity or is it something to do with these large D men that maybe they take longer to develop?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Is elniyuk an overage? I recigonize the name so I'm wondering if he showed up in my personal lists/models.

I like lajoi there a lot.

Not sold on Bowden or Stanley at those spots.

Though I'm down on Stanley he'd be an interesting guy to have. If he explodes in offence next season that all of a sudden looks pretty special.

However I'm pretty doubtful of that happening... I

Elyniuk is a late birthday

I kind of reasoned that Howden is similar to Roslovic and Harkins. The Jets seem to value those kinds of centers in that range.

I think Stanley is worth the risk in the 2nd round

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Sample size makes it pretty damn hard to really pin down.

I'm silently hoping someone ldrafts him before 22 so A)someone I really like falls and B) I don't have to worry about us taking him and feeling like we wasted a pick until he does something special.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Sample size makes it pretty damn hard to really pin down.

I'm silently hoping someone ldrafts him before 22 so A)someone I really like falls and B) I don't have to worry about us taking him and feeling like we wasted a pick until he does something special.

Right so I think organizations get excited that they might land a Myers or Chara or Buff but you also might end up with a Boris Valabik

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

Not when those stats tell half the story. Not every player that achieves NHL success, had major statistical success in their amateur days.

If stats are all that matters, reduce your scouting staff to minimal, in lieu of scouring stat sheets to determine the BPA.

Done a bit of research on Stanley, and he does fit a player whose role heavily influenced his output, not his skill. He rates average to well in skating and puck handling, has solid defensive IQ, and when his role increased in the offensiveness, he handled it well and showed he is capable of producing.

Size and strength are his key attributes, but ya, if he fully develops he could be a really solid big tough NHL Dman that we need on our left side.

Last edited:

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
My pre Draft Jets picks based on

- BPA
- Jets drafting tendencies
- Organization needs

2. Patrick Laine F Tappara Finland. I think it is pretty much done deciding on who they are going to take at 2 and it will be Laine. Things could not have aligned up much more perfect then this. He is what the Jets really need, a guy who can put the puck in the net at will. The Jets current lineup has a lot of everything except that pure goal scorer and we are going to get one here. He will make our PP better and he will score those goals that teams need at the those times in a game.

22. Brett Howden C Moose Jaw I think at this spot it is more a matter of who is going to be here. The Jets have shown that will take a BPA over someone they like later in the draft although I think taking Kyle Connor at 17 last year was a no brainer. I think if one of Fabbro/Bean/McAvoy are here they probably look at taking one of those guys but I have a feeling those guys all go in the middle of the 1st round. If that is the case the Jets have 2 choices here. Look at one of the high scoring waterbugs or look at one of the big powerforwards. I have pondered what the Jets might do here and I think they rank centers or players who can play center fairly high and so I think they take a shot at a center here and pass on the power wingers.

36. Logan Stanley D Windsor. This is where I look at what the Jets like to do as well and they like guys that have fallen out of the first round and they don't mind taking a smaller guy here as well. I think if one of those small point guys falls especially if he is a center the Jets could go there. One of the D that falls from the 1st like Clague or Stanely could be a possibility as well. They may also like certain players that may be ranked lower here too. I went with Stanley here as a project big D man.

97. Max Lajoie D Swift Current. The Jets generally like two types of players in here and that is either D or skilled forwards. There is a couple of ways this could turn out maybe the look at forwards like Maxime Fortier or Kyle Maksimovich or look at D like Lajoie,Greenway or Gleason here. I went with Lajoie here just because I have seen him play a lot and he is an excellent skater and puck mover.

127. Jack Lafontaine G Jainesville. The Jets have certain likes later in the draft. They like goalies,they like big project players and they like guys that bust their ass off. I think they go with an organizational need here and go back to lesser league where they find one diamond and hope to mine another. Lafontaine is a good size goalie with athletic ability. Going to a place we know well next year...Michigan

157. Hudson Elynuik F Spokane. The Jets are not afraid of taking guys that are projects and I think they would love a guy like Elynuik to work with. He could be a solid bottom 6 winger in the NHL some day in the vein of a Dwight King type of forward. Doesn't hurt that he is former Jet Pat Elynuiks son either.

187. Ondrej Vala D Kamloops. What is a Jets draft with out a late round euro pick? I don't know if Vala will be around this later but I think he could be a steal of a pick. Size,skill and toughness is what you get for this 1st year WHLer. Lots to like here for Jet fans and he should have an elevated role next year with the Blazers.

Man I'd be happy if our 4th + rounds played out this way.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
A few more to watch

Will Bitten
Wade Allison
Henrik Borgstrom
Josh Mahura
Cole Candella

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah he would have been part of the U18 team no doubts. Laine was flatout destroying the competition in the u17s. I believe that was the year they had the five nations u17 tournament in Sweden (Sundsvall) where Matthews played as well. Laine was scoring hattrick after another in those games against guys two years older and Redline had him early favourite to go #1 at that point. Matthews was completely overshadowed there, personally don't even remember him from those games. Later on the injury happened and hockey world just seemed to forget about the guy almost entirely. Now that I'm thinking and looking back, I'm almost happy about how things went down. Couldn't bare the thought of having Laine play for the Leafs.

Yeah he scored 2 hat tricks in a row there at least.

Here's some kind of a compilation:

The one at 1:42-1:47 was talked about for a while. 2:02-2:09 wasn't half bad, either...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad