NHL Entry Draft Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Good call on Morrison. Seems like a Scheifele type of pick. A bit of a late bloomer with a very strong draft season. He's quite young for this draft. Very strong production. Hillier said he thought that the Jets would get a player they had ranked around 15 when they draft at 22. I wonder if they have a few of these wild cards up their sleeves.

Two other players I am intrigued with at 22 are Tufte and Asplund.

I wonder if the Jets are enamoured with Cholowski, too.

Possible. I was watching his game on April 22nd and the PA announcer welcomed 3 NHL scouts to the building, one was the Jets.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Good call on Morrison. Seems like a Scheifele type of pick. A bit of a late bloomer with a very strong draft season. He's quite young for this draft. Very strong production. Hillier said he thought that the Jets would get a player they had ranked around 15 when they draft at 22. I wonder if they have a few of these wild cards up their sleeves.

Two other players I am intrigued with at 22 are Tufte and Asplund.

I wonder if the Jets are enamoured with Cholowski, too.

Morrison is my new favourite sleeper. Late bloomer, late birthday. I'm not thrilled with the picks that will likely be available after 21 so this could be a great option. Would be great at 36 but someone might scoop him before that.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/laine-better-nhler-matthews-three-scouts-weigh/

Interesting article from Gare Joyce. Three scouts... all think it should be Matthews-Laine in the top-2, and all three would be hugely surprised if the Leafs take anyone other than Matthews.

Yes, it's a very interesting article. Yes, everyone thinks Matthews should be at the top. However, in a disgusting manner I'll blatantly cherry pick a quote:

"The interesting thing is that our European scouts, our full-time guys and part-time guys, had Laine over Matthews—they were outvoted in the room, but it did get me thinking about it.

They had [Laine] there going back to before world juniors."

As for #22, it's really difficult to call. From what I've seen in the rankings aggregator, there's a significant drop off at 22 and a bigger one around 18. I would consider it possible that someone from that top 18 falls but if not, 22. should be "noticeably" better than 23 anyway.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'd be more than okay with that pick at 36. I could see somebody awesome being on the board ar 22 though - likely someone in my top 15.

Same thing Hillier said when interviewed in H&L about TNSE probably getting one of "their" top 15 picks at 22.

Edit: just noticed Whileee beat me to the punch on this.

Last edited:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Gary bettman: we have a trade to announce!
The Winnipeg Jets trade pick 22 & 36 to to Boston for pick 14.

Chevy: the jets are proud to select Jakob chychrun!

Laine chych would be fun

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
From what I've read, puck handling is definitely not one of his strengths

He has been asked to carry the puck more, and he has shown an ability to do so:

Other than his size, scouts were intrigued by his development from last year to this, noting a greater ability to carry the puck and make passes up the ice to his teammates. The result of that increased possession ability was only two even-strength primary assists all season long, though he now forces other teams to respect the fact that he can effect a breakout, whereas last year there was a good chance that checking him in a one-on-one situation would result in a turnover.

Or skating.

For a big man, he skates well

WHAT THEY'RE SAYING
CSS Director of Scouting Dan Marr: “He’s mobile and very tough to beat one-on-one. He has a good understanding of his position, has a good stick-to-puck technique utilizing his reach, and plays with authority. He’s very composed under forecheck pressure and is able to make that good first pass out of the zone.”
Future Considerations: “Stanley is a towering and lengthy rearguard whose bread and butter is blocking shots and angling off his man. Overall, for a big man, he really has improved his skating, but still needs to control his feet a little more and be quicker yet… The physically imposing defender has the ability to jump up and drop his shoulder to deliver a perfectly timed, devastating check in open ice. Stanley will drop the gloves and stand up for his team.”
ISS Scout P. Myre: “Dimensional size. Very good skater for his size. Very active offensively, he will join the rush and activate from the point. Has shown improvement this season in decision making with and without the puck.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad