NHL Entry Draft Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
Excellent post and cool avatar!! Glad you have been so passionate about this topic.

I am a huge Laine fan and really want him to be a Jet. That being said I know our organization loves Puljuarvi so I am staying grounded until after the selection. My belief is Patrik did enough in April/May to leapfrog Jesse with our scouts.

Watching the footage of how Patrik took over games in the playoffs provided me with the glimpse into a guy I think will be an elite NHL offensive weapon.

Thanks!

I agree with you, Laine's playoff performances really illustrated the full scope of his talents. What I find fascinating is his ability to quickly shift into scoring positions before the play has developed. His anticipation of plays I think is the best in this draft class and dare I say "among the elite all time".

I really don't want to hear Puljujarvi announced as our pick. While Jesse is a can't miss star winger, Laine has a rare skillset which I think is highly complementary to our organizations current team mix immediate and long term.

The one thing that bothers me is that Puljujarvi looks a little like Olli Jokinen. Jokinen was horrendously overpaid and ineffective on his last three contracts. He worked hard, was an awesome team guy and had great talent but always seemed to be a fraction behind every play. Patrik Laine looks like a star, a god sent from the hockey heavens.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
What are odds a player like debincat could move to Europe or even russia next year? I would think he has minimal to learn in junior for 2 more years and would greatly benefit from playing with men.

Has mathews changed the way europe works as a development League? Seems many skilled players could benefit.

It would honestly make no sense in his draft year, because he will have been drafted out of the CHL, which makes him ineligible to play anywhere but the CHL unless he were to get transfer papers to play overseas. He's ineligible for AHL, too. Debincat isn't high enough profile to make a EU team either, as they only have a limited amount of spaces available to foreign workers.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Future Considerations' Mock Draft has the Jets taking:

#2 Laine
#22 Kunin
#36 Benson

No LHD there, but that's an intriguing set of forwards.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

#2 Laine
#22 Kunin
#36 Benson

When would be a good time to package some and try to get some tangible roster improvements? I feel like Jets are swimming in forward prospects as is.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Jets are very good at drafting forwards. Maybe make some trades for d prospects. I can't see them going off boards for d when they know they will get good forward in first 2 rounds.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

#2 Laine
#22 Kunin
#36 Benson

I really like Kunin and Benson there A LOT, I think that would be a great haul! We need D, but draft BPA always, trades will happen soon from position of strength, Chevy will get us a D we really need, Ive been saying this for a while, trade any of DeLeo, Petan, Roslo, Benson, Kunin, Dano, Armia, Spacek, Harkins, Copp, Lowry. We have bodies to trade and will do so as will be needed, this I have no doubt! So Im fine with the three picks above. :D

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I just saw Joe's post from earlier and really like his later round picks. He has Jets taking Howden at 22, and I real feel we are going to go with a FWRD with that pick as IMO BPA is a forward there unless one of MacAvoy or Fabbro slip. I have guys like Kunin and Howden ahead of McCleod so I would be thrilled with them at 22. Then they go D with 36, lots of good ones to chose from, prediction, Dineen falls to that pick and Jets snag him.

BTW, Im gonna start a new thread for our Jets board mock, or should I do a thread on us posting our top 30 lists?

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Garret's write up on Asplund makes me want the Jets to draft him @ 22 even more if none of the higher ranked D drop. I'd rather not gamble on him falling all the way to 36.

If we take a forward and it's BPA I just hope it happens to be a true C.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I just saw Joe's post from earlier and really like his later round picks. He has Jets taking Howden at 22, and I real feel we are going to go with a FWRD with that pick as IMO BPA is a forward there unless one of MacAvoy or Fabbro slip. I have guys like Kunin and Howden ahead of McCleod so I would be thrilled with them at 22. Then they go D with 36, lots of good ones to chose from, prediction, Dineen falls to that pick and Jets snag him.

BTW, Im gonna start a new thread for our Jets board mock, or should I do a thread on us posting our top 30 lists?
I would also have a hard time picking a D man at 22 unless one of Bean, Fabbro or MacAvoy falls. After that, there are a pile of guys that IMO are in a lower tier. I have major question marks about all of them and I'd wouldn't rush to take anyone at 22. Of course that doesn't mean the Jets feel the same way.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I would also have a hard time picking a D man at 22 unless one of Bean, Fabbro or MacAvoy falls. After that, there are a pile of guys that IMO are in a lower tier. I have major question marks about all of them and I'd wouldn't rush to take anyone at 22. Of course that doesn't mean the Jets feel the same way.
Same
Truck.

If one of those three fall, have at er. If not, the bunching of dmen left is close enough that one of them will be available at 36

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Getting my two cents in.

Umm laine is good. Also can Morrison? Might be perceived as an off the board pick but looks very jets esq.

Very close production. To confirm nor but getting no love.

I meant very close production to connor

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
USHL GUY. scores good. Lots of heart. Lunch bucket. 200ft game. Playa the right way. I'm making most of this up . But he does really frigging good in the USHL and is 6 2.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Getting my two cents in.

Umm laine is good. Also can Morrison? Might be perceived as an off the board pick but looks very jets esq.

Very close production. To confirm nor but getting no love.

I meant very close production to connor

I was hoping Jets would snatch him up with the 36 pick, you think they take him at 22? He's a good player no doubt and 6 foot 3 and 210 lbs aint too shabby. Going to Notre Dame next year but could be a sleeper cause of the league he was in.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I wouldn't hate him at 22, but I'd be very very ok with Morrison at 36.

Hell I could sell myself on him at 22 . It's interesting f how lowley he is ranked given his size and production. USHL isn't a fringe league anymore either...

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I was hoping Jets would snatch him up with the 36 pick, you think they take him at 22? He's a good player no doubt and 6 foot 3 and 210 lbs aint too shabby. Going to Notre Dame next year but could be a sleeper cause of the league he was in.

I'd be more than okay with that pick at 36. I could see somebody awesome being on the board ar 22 though - likely someone in my top 15.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I wouldn't hate him at 22, but I'd be very very ok with Morrison at 36.

Hell I could sell myself on him at 22 . It's interesting f how lowley he is ranked given his size and production. USHL isn't a fringe league anymore either...

Good call on Morrison. Seems like a Scheifele type of pick. A bit of a late bloomer with a very strong draft season. He's quite young for this draft. Very strong production. Hillier said he thought that the Jets would get a player they had ranked around 15 when they draft at 22. I wonder if they have a few of these wild cards up their sleeves.

Two other players I am intrigued with at 22 are Tufte and Asplund.

I wonder if the Jets are enamoured with Cholowski, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad