NHL Entry Draft Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
I don't think the difference between Laine and Pulju is as much as some have convinced themselves it is. It wouldn't shock me one bit for the Jets to prefer the all around 200 foot game of Pulju to the Sniper.

Two Pro-stitched jerseys went to Buffalo.....Matthews & Laine. Oh yeah, almost forgot...IMO. :popcorn:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Gotchya.
Ya, I know. Just didn't get why you were saying I was saying that about the Jets, when I've said their last 3 drafts have really been aligning with the numbers.

Well, I think that the Jets have been using the right approach to what they value in a prospect, and might be using stats as part of that. They certainly don't seem to have heavy biases that distort their approach.

By the way, I've been wondering if there's enough data to start looking at scoring equivalencies at lower / younger levels of competition. For example, how do scoring rates from various midget leagues translate to junior? How about US high school to USHL? etc., etc.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Well, I think that the Jets have been using the right approach to what they value in a prospect, and might be using stats as part of that. They certainly don't seem to have heavy biases that distort their approach.

By the way, I've been wondering if there's enough data to start looking at scoring equivalencies at lower / younger levels of competition. For example, how do scoring rates from various midget leagues translate to junior? How about US high school to USHL? etc., etc.

USHS is not one you can really use statistically, because technically USHS is not a "real league" in the way most would look at it but actually multiple leagues really. There's just too much of a spread in talent.

Example of just how much USHS can differ: Jets own Tanner Lane scored 90 points in 25 games for one USHS team and then scored 8 points in 17 games for another... in the same season.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Not when those stats tell half the story. Not every player that achieves NHL success, had major statistical success in their amateur days.

If stats are all that matters, reduce your scouting staff to minimal, in lieu of scouring stat sheets to determine the BPA.

Done a bit of research on Stanley, and he does fit a player whose role heavily influenced his output, not his skill. He rates average to well in skating and puck handling, has solid defensive IQ, and when his role increased in the offensiveness, he handled it well and showed he is capable of producing.

Size and strength are his key attributes, but ya, if he fully develops he could be a really solid big tough NHL Dman that we need on our left side.

From what I've read, puck handling is definitely not one of his strengths

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I love how Corey trolls on the comps

And I like him for it. It's always the same.

5'10-6'0 winger who scores a lot and takes hits - Patrick Kane
5'10-6'0 winger who scores a lot and skates with his head down - Jeff Skinner
6'4+ defenseman who hits a lot - Zdeno Chara
6'4+ defenseman who hits a lot and can make a stretch pass - Chris Pronger
6'4+ defenseman who hits a lot, can't make a stretch pass, but is European - Zdeno Chara
Canadian Center on championship winning teams - Jonathan Toews
Well-Scoring Canadian Center on not-championship-winning-teams but with very good vision - Joe Thornton

need I go on?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Lebron would eat Laine......3 times a day. Who is this Pronman moron?

1) Who is Pronman? How do you know know who he is.

2)
D4hqdy6L.jpg

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Oh........jokes. Well, if its sarcasm suggesting that player comparisons are silly, I guess its ok. Either way, I'm not much into the pseudo media stuff.

Corey often uses really whacky comps like this as a form of sarcasm.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Corey often uses really whacky comps like this as a form of sarcasm.

This explains why he doesn't do it. so many things get taken out of context, and blown out of proportion. Just like the Laine/Lemieux/Ovechkin thing.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Can we do an HF Jets mock draft with posters signing up for picking teams? We could do one or two rounds, anyone interested in starting this up?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My pre Draft Jets picks based on

- BPA
- Jets drafting tendencies
- Organization needs

2. Patrick Laine F Tappara Finland. I think it is pretty much done deciding on who they are going to take at 2 and it will be Laine. Things could not have aligned up much more perfect then this. He is what the Jets really need, a guy who can put the puck in the net at will. The Jets current lineup has a lot of everything except that pure goal scorer and we are going to get one here. He will make our PP better and he will score those goals that teams need at the those times in a game.

22. Brett Howden C Moose Jaw I think at this spot it is more a matter of who is going to be here. The Jets have shown that will take a BPA over someone they like later in the draft although I think taking Kyle Connor at 17 last year was a no brainer. I think if one of Fabbro/Bean/McAvoy are here they probably look at taking one of those guys but I have a feeling those guys all go in the middle of the 1st round. If that is the case the Jets have 2 choices here. Look at one of the high scoring waterbugs or look at one of the big powerforwards. I have pondered what the Jets might do here and I think they rank centers or players who can play center fairly high and so I think they take a shot at a center here and pass on the power wingers.

36. Logan Stanley D Windsor. This is where I look at what the Jets like to do as well and they like guys that have fallen out of the first round and they don't mind taking a smaller guy here as well. I think if one of those small point guys falls especially if he is a center the Jets could go there. One of the D that falls from the 1st like Clague or Stanely could be a possibility as well. They may also like certain players that may be ranked lower here too. I went with Stanley here as a project big D man.

97. Max Lajoie D Swift Current. The Jets generally like two types of players in here and that is either D or skilled forwards. There is a couple of ways this could turn out maybe the look at forwards like Maxime Fortier or Kyle Maksimovich or look at D like Lajoie,Greenway or Gleason here. I went with Lajoie here just because I have seen him play a lot and he is an excellent skater and puck mover.

127. Jack Lafontaine G Jainesville. The Jets have certain likes later in the draft. They like goalies,they like big project players and they like guys that bust their ass off. I think they go with an organizational need here and go back to lesser league where they find one diamond and hope to mine another. Lafontaine is a good size goalie with athletic ability. Going to a place we know well next year...Michigan

157. Hudson Elynuik F Spokane. The Jets are not afraid of taking guys that are projects and I think they would love a guy like Elynuik to work with. He could be a solid bottom 6 winger in the NHL some day in the vein of a Dwight King type of forward. Doesn't hurt that he is former Jet Pat Elynuiks son either.

187. Ondrej Vala D Kamloops. What is a Jets draft with out a late round euro pick? I don't know if Vala will be around this later but I think he could be a steal of a pick. Size,skill and toughness is what you get for this 1st year WHLer. Lots to like here for Jet fans and he should have an elevated role next year with the Blazers.

Why is it OK to choose a C over the BPA but it is not OK to choose a D?

I'm not arguing against Howden. I would like him well enough at 22 if we were not abysmally short on D prospects. If all the D prospects you named are gone then Cholowski, Clague, Johansson and Dineen will still be available. 1 or 2 of them should still be available at 36 as well.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
Amazing as it is for Winnipeg to win a second overall pick in the upcoming draft, its even more amazing how Laine closes the gap between himself and Matthews to the point where its debatable who really is first

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
If the Jets do look at a goaltender at some point in the draft, I'd sure be happy if Lafontaine was their pick.

Let him develop at Michigan for a few seasons.

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/nhl/art-2000001195063.html

Someone has faith Laine will be a Jet :laugh:

Chevy seemed to like Laines answer on what he has done is all in the past and he's focused on moving forwards.
Don't know how Puljus interviews went as his English is still very weak compared to Laine.

I am the guy who has so much faith. Really looking forward to wearing this jersey at the Jets draft party at The Met this Friday. Hopefully I will have been one of the first of many thousands of fans to purchase Patrik Laine Winnipeg Jets jerseys in the future as opposed to one of the few, if not the only one to own one.

I have read every single post in this thread, parts one I - XI Patrik Laine (yes all 11,000+ posts), the Auston Matthews thread, and also RIP, the Laine vs Matthews explosive thread.

I woud be shocked if we don't end up with one of Matthews or Laine. The fact there has been so much debate (with the biggest volume between Toronto and Finland posters) about who of the two is the BPA makes it highly unlikely the Jets select Puljujarvi. Can't wait to hear "and the Winnipeg Jets are proud to select from Tappara Tampere 'Patrik Laine'."

It is going to be a very interesting first round, both for off the board picks and possible trades. Hopefully we get another Kyle Connor level drop (though Boston is only picking once)

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I am the guy who has so much faith. Really looking forward to wearing this jersey at the Jets draft party at The Met this Friday. Hopefully I will have been one of the first of many thousands of fans to purchase Patrik Laine Winnipeg Jets jerseys in the future as opposed to one of the few, if not the only one to own one.

I have read every single post in this thread, parts one I - XI Patrik Laine (yes all 11,000+ posts), the Auston Matthews thread, and also RIP, the Laine vs Matthews explosive thread.

I woud be shocked if we don't end up with one of Matthews or Laine. The fact there has been so much debate (with the biggest volume between Toronto and Finland posters) about who of the two is the BPA makes it highly unlikely the Jets select Puljujarvi. Can't wait to hear "and the Winnipeg Jets are proud to select from Tappara Tampere 'Patrik Laine'."

It is going to be a very interesting first round, both for off the board picks and possible trades. Hopefully we get another Kyle Connor level drop (though Boston is only picking once)

Why did you choose the road jersey?

Typically teams put the draft year on the jerseys that players put on after being selected (this year would be #16) Last season though, Edmonton had a #97 for McDavid. I hope the Jets prepare a #29 for Laine.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Excellent post and cool avatar!! Glad you have been so passionate about this topic.

I am a huge Laine fan and really want him to be a Jet. That being said I know our organization loves Puljuarvi so I am staying grounded until after the selection. My belief is Patrik did enough in April/May to leapfrog Jesse with our scouts.

Watching the footage of how Patrik took over games in the playoffs provided me with the glimpse into a guy I think will be an elite NHL offensive weapon.

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
Why did you choose the road jersey?

Typically teams put the draft year on the jerseys that players put on after being selected (this year would be #16) Last season though, Edmonton had a #97 for McDavid. I hope the Jets prepare a #29 for Laine.

I chose the road jersey so I will be ready for the "white out";) from April through June as I watch Laine lift the Stanley Cup. All kidding aside, I read the Winnipeg Sun article about the jersey that was done up by the guys at IceTime Sports and rushed down to buy it.

My personal preference has always been the old "home" jersey whites. I wish they would return to that because it was always cool seeing the opponents skate out as the big bad Bruins in black or the "rouge" of the bleu, blanc et rouge Canadiens, or the orange of the nasty Flyers. Now all the home games are dark blue against whites.

Back on topic, if there are no surprises in picks 1-21, I hope we choose Cholowski or Rubstov. If there are unexpected drops, I would really like to see Tyson Jost or Dante Fabbro somehow trickle down (highy unlikely, especially Jost).

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
What are odds a player like debincat could move to Europe or even russia next year? I would think he has minimal to learn in junior for 2 more years and would greatly benefit from playing with men.

Has mathews changed the way europe works as a development League? Seems many skilled players could benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad