Hockey Ultimate Team: NHL 18 HUT Thread (All HUT talk goes here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Well, my point was trying to get at EA needing to create Ice/Ruby cards to bring up player overalls because the online gameplay was so bad.

EA created Ice/Ruby cards for one reason.

To sell more packs and make more money.

Has nothing to do with the quality of online game-play.

Reactions: nilssont

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
EA created Ice/Ruby cards for one reason.

To sell more packs and make more money.

Has nothing to do with the quality of online game-play.

I disagree completely. One of the biggest complaints was how slow the online gameplay was. EA tackled that, probably did profit as you suggest, but don't forget that EA gave away 5 free gold collectibles at Christmas. Pretty much 5 free upgrades.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I disagree completely. One of the biggest complaints was how slow the online gameplay was. EA tackled that, probably did profit as you suggest, but don't forget that EA gave away 5 free gold collectibles at Christmas. Pretty much 5 free upgrades.

What are you talking about? EA tackled the issue of gamplay slowness by increasing the the overalls of a bunch of players by a few points? They didn't even increase every player, just a small portion really, roughly about 12% of the total number of players when they released the ICE versions.

EA gives away things throughout the year for one reason, to keep people playing and interested, so tp keep them buying packs. Period, end of story.

I must be talking to a child because no reasonable adult thinks as you do.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
Jesus Christ. The CPU is not worth playing against on any mode anymore. This franchise in general is becoming such a joke.

CPU cheats so bad once you hit All-Star and Superstar. Your goalies can't make a simple save. The A.I. is so bad and players are out of position and the goals the CPU score are so "Scripted".

CPU threw one at the net and it bounces right at their player and within a split second they bat it out of mid-air into the net. The play before, EO CROSBY missed an easy tap-in back door.

It's not even worth playing franchise anymore without some serious sliders. CPU is just too fast for no reason and they can't lose the puck no matter how well toy play defensively. It's so bad from how good it used to be.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I like the additon of Ruby. At least we get to see more different Players most of the time. Only duo everybody seems to have is AS Sakic and AS Voracek.

I can't find a goaltender. Went from Evo Price to Quick to Vasilevsky and now have Hasek. Not sure who I like.

nilssont

May 27, 2007
I like the additon of Ruby. At least we get to see more different Players most of the time. Only duo everybody seems to have is AS Sakic and AS Voracek.

I can't find a goaltender. Went from Evo Price to Quick to Vasilevsky and now have Hasek. Not sure who I like.

99.9 % Of the teams I play have Stamkos, Kucherov, Doughty, Subban and ofc Messier :laugh:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
99.9 % Of the teams I play have Stamkos, Kucherov, Doughty, Subban and ofc Messier :laugh:

Gaudreau, Stamkos with Kucherov, Bergeron, Voracek with Sakic and McDonald. Many don't even use Ds anymore and put Kurri, Thornton, Wheeler and Messier on D. I hate those stupid idiots that feel the Need to do this. You know exactly how they will Play.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Jesus Christ. The CPU is not worth playing against on any mode anymore. This franchise in general is becoming such a joke.

CPU cheats so bad once you hit All-Star and Superstar. Your goalies can't make a simple save. The A.I. is so bad and players are out of position and the goals the CPU score are so "Scripted".

CPU threw one at the net and it bounces right at their player and within a split second they bat it out of mid-air into the net. The play before, EO CROSBY missed an easy tap-in back door.

It's not even worth playing franchise anymore without some serious sliders. CPU is just too fast for no reason and they can't lose the puck no matter how well toy play defensively. It's so bad from how good it used to be.

It hasn't been fun playing against the CPU in any mode since NHL 13, the same year the glide mechanic was put into the game.

The CPU is simply responding to your controller inputs, and because it can make decisions faster than you can, it can severely abuse the glide mechanic to a far greater degree than any human could. Just watch he herky-jerky way the CPU players carry the puck up the ice, responding in micro-seconds to every one of your controller inputs in order to keep you from hitting or poke-checking them.

It's sad because in NHL 12, crank it up on Superstar, and it was a fantastic game, and still challenging enough to keep you entertained but not completely frustrated.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
I haven't done much with HUT this year after pretty much ignoring '17. I gave up on versus online in HUT so I kinda like all of the vs. CPU options now compared to '16. I was killing time on the "beat the NHL teams on semi-pro" challenge and earned a pack. Got 93 rated Suter (not even sure what type the cards are this year since I see no identifiers on them and don't feel like figuring it out either...edit--I see the ad on the main page for the game now, it's an Evolution...whatever). I've never liked using Suter so I'll flip that for some coins and have a good time upgrading my team.

Last edited:

Nov 1, 2011

In HUT the fact that the CPU is good is made up for by the fact that you can have better players than them.

Playing sound defense usually results in a win against the CPU even on Superstar.

Decided to do this weeks challenges tonight and the fact that I hadn't played the CPU in a few weeks was very noticeable. Got beat on the final Evo challenge a couple times but by the fourth game I found that I could win without giving up a shot. The key was not getting out of position defensively (but standing up at my own blueline) and once I got the puck, making sure I had a clean zone exit. Turnovers would often result in goals against (which seems appropriate).

I find it interesting that it's changing all the time.

Stamkos and Kucherov were good Ice cards so everybody had them. I personally don't see a lot of Doughty or Subban. Messier is a good cheap face-off plug especially if you're going for the AA and LL synergies at the same time (not many players with both).

Now that Ruby is in, Stamkos and Kucherov seems to be disappearing a bit with Mackinnon and Burns being quite common.

The nice thing is that a lot of good players are available for less than 50K coins on the auction house so you can use almost anyone you want. Guys like Burns who seem to be getting a lot of upgrades due to real world performance should be on a lot of teams while guys like Karlson who are having off years don't have many upgrades and are on less teams - I think that is a good thing.

No doubt the best players in the league are going to be used the most. Also good cheap cards with a lot of synergies will be on every team, so expect to see all-star Voracek and Sakic a lot along with the new Flashback Sittler.

So, who on Xbox wants to make a deal for my Crosby EVO? :naughty:

I'm in. What do you want?

Reactions: Dylonus

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Is anybody else getting a glitch where their left stick stops functioning during offline challenges? Seems to happen once or twice a game until they lose possession.

What are you talking about? EA tackled the issue of gamplay slowness by increasing the the overalls of a bunch of players by a few points? They didn't even increase every player, just a small portion really, roughly about 12% of the total number of players when they released the ICE versions.

EA gives away things throughout the year for one reason, to keep people playing and interested, so tp keep them buying packs. Period, end of story.

I must be talking to a child because no reasonable adult thinks as you do.

The few points make a huge difference. And yeah, most of the hardcore players who spend money on packs/auctions have all Ice/Ruby/special cards on their team. I know I don't have any regulars, anymore, and I don't even spend money.

You seem to be getting angry, though, so I'll just say you're right because it seems to matter a lot to you ;)

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Who else is always getting the worst possible card when completing a SET?

Depends on the set, I never complete them because it’s awful odds on pulling a good player, so better off selling collectibles and chipping in a little extra for the player you want,I pulled a 94 OVR Crosby Primetime a couple months ago on a set I did do though, and pulled a Jamie Benn 93 Ruby when I did that set too, worth less now then the gold collectibles I had to use to get him though. Can’t pull anything in packs though from competive seasons. I’m just stock piling coins from collectibles waiting for TOTY to crater the market

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm in. What do you want?

What do you have? I was hoping to sell him outright, but I can go with trades as well. His price is going to go up once he finally hits that 400th goal because he'll obviously get a MS card. I'm trying to get to his ultimate legend card. Works much better for me.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Finally got my CS packs (another screw up, EA?). Pretty good pulls. 93 Ruby Rantanen, and a collectible in every pack (I got 4).

94 Stamkos - 96 Sittler - 97 Voracek
93 Bossy - 95 Sakic - 95 Marchand
94 McDonald - 93 Crosby - 93 Rantanen
90 Perry - 93 Spezza - 91 Benn

92 Karlsson - 91 Gonchar
93 Green - 93 Pronger
92 Lidstrom - 92 Bourque

92 Bobrovsky
74 Hart

I have Rocket Skates and Fine Shooting active (the only player synergies I care about), and now I have LL, S, TN and AA active for team synergies.

I've been working hard towards the 95 Heatley from the Flashback sets. His appeal was his overall and synergies, but 95 overall left shot isn't that great anymore. And I have all of his team synergies active already. I don't really wanna go for the 99 Brodeur, although the +2 CW could be cool. I might just end up selling the card.

Nov 1, 2011
What do you have? I was hoping to sell him outright, but I can go with trades as well. His price is going to go up once he finally hits that 400th goal because he'll obviously get a MS card. I'm trying to get to his ultimate legend card. Works much better for me.

Maybe EVO Klingberg and a carbon?

Klinger will likely be a 99 through OTOTY.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
Maybe EVO Klingberg and a carbon?

Klinger will likely be a 99 through OTOTY.

I'll be honest, that's pretty tempting. I want that Klingberg but can I get that carbon to sell is the issue... I'm trying to work towards UL Crosby and if that Carbon won't sell; I'm SOL...

Anything else you could add instead? Possibly something that could sell at least? I doubt anyone is going to buy the Carbon even though the cheapest is 89k

Last edited:

Nov 1, 2011
I'll be honest, that's pretty tempting. I want that Klingberg but can I get that carbon to sell is the issue... I'm trying to work towards UL Crosby and if that Carbon won't sell; I'm SOL...

Anything else you could add instead? Possibly something that could sell at least? I doubt anyone is going to buy the Carbon even though the cheapest is 89k

I'll buy the carbon off you for 89K if you put it back up. Can't add cash to trades anymore.

Solstice VI

Feb 11, 2018
Hello all! I've just come across this forum today, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me, as i can win quite easily however when i lose, its by a large margin.

My team:
OFFENSE
ICE 94 stamkos - EVO 91 karlsson(untradeable) - TOTW 93 kucherov
RUBY 92 point - TOTW 93 bergeron - TOTW 94 marchand
ICE 91 laine - LGD 92 sakic - ICE 93 wheeler
ICE 92 ovechkin - TOTW 92 seguin(untradeable) - CLGD 92 sanderson

DEFENSE
RUBY 91 doughty - RUBY 91 gostisbehere
TOTW 90 Karlsson - LGD 92 niedermayer
LGD 91 boyle - LGD 90 carlyle

GOALIE
LGD 92 hasek - ICE 92 bobrovsky

Im familiar with all "glitch goals" and things like that, however when i play, I get poke checked / knocked off the puck rather easily however none of my players attack the puck carrier or go for loose pucks, resulting in many many turnovers and lost chances. Is there something wrong with my team or what? Thanks in advance.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Hello all! I've just come across this forum today, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me, as i can win quite easily however when i lose, its by a large margin.

My team:
OFFENSE
ICE 94 stamkos - EVO 91 karlsson(untradeable) - TOTW 93 kucherov
RUBY 92 point - TOTW 93 bergeron - TOTW 94 marchand
ICE 91 laine - LGD 92 sakic - ICE 93 wheeler
ICE 92 ovechkin - TOTW 92 seguin(untradeable) - CLGD 92 sanderson

DEFENSE
RUBY 91 doughty - RUBY 91 gostisbehere
TOTW 90 Karlsson - LGD 92 niedermayer
LGD 91 boyle - LGD 90 carlyle

GOALIE
LGD 92 hasek - ICE 92 bobrovsky

Im familiar with all "glitch goals" and things like that, however when i play, I get poke checked / knocked off the puck rather easily however none of my players attack the puck carrier or go for loose pucks, resulting in many many turnovers and lost chances. Is there something wrong with my team or what? Thanks in advance.

What do you have for team synergies? I have 4, TN, S, AA, LL. I find the better teams you play the more synergies matter. If your finding you get bumped off the puck easy maybe try for CW? Helps boost the team strength. Since I got AA I’m one of those guys who has way more luck knocking the puck off players easily

Solstice VI

Feb 11, 2018
What do you have for team synergies? I have 4, TN, S, AA, LL. I find the better teams you play the more synergies matter. If your finding you get bumped off the puck easy maybe try for CW? Helps boost the team strength. Since I got AA I’m one of those guys who has way more luck knocking the puck off players easily
I currently have RS CP LL and S, i also now have totw 93 kopitar on first center, i have my strategies set to be aggressive but still find them letting the other players walk in quite frequently, I stayed away from comp seasons today and just played regular online seasons, and didn't have any problems, not too sure if maybe sliders are different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad