Speculation: Next Head Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It's almost like being ridiculously physically talented at something has no bearing on the leadership, management, teaching, and strategic elements of sports. It's a rare treat when the two overlap.

And sometimes it's a detriment. I'm pretty sure Gretzky watched his players puck anticipation and shook his head wondering why they didn't see the play developing 3 steps ahead like he did. "Just know where to be before it happens, morons! Gah." Like how can you possibly teach what he did? You really can't.

Growing up there were kids at goalie camp that wanted to be Hasek. And yeah, Hasek was the best so it makes sense. But trying to emulate him was a disaster. He was one of a kind. You're better off trying to mimic boring but steady Osgood if you actually want to get better.

The truly elite players are rarely able to be replicated. But guys like Jeff Halpern? He worked his ass off for everything out there. If I'm teaching a youth hockey player, yeah it's fun up see Datsyuk highlights, but get real... he's going to learn more and find success following the fundamentals that made Halpern a professional.

Give me a roster of guys with the brain and drive of Halpern and you're going to go far in the playoffs.

Yeah, but what about Scotty Bowman? Great coach, and an even better player. His stats were so good, I was completely mesmerized and couldn't get my hand to type.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Getting two highly regarded assistants to team up together would be a bad thing? I’ll still have to see it to believe it
Doug Lewis and Barry Smith were highly regarded assistants to Scotty Bowman and Lewis took over, with Smith as an assistant, and couldn't get the team out of Round 1.

Being assistant for a good team is nice.

But do you have any actual insights you can share?

Or is this just a faith-based belief that since Yzerman helped build Tampa, and since Tampa won, and since both guys were assistants in Tampa, this is just destined to work?

It's possible one or both could be great fits.

But it truly don't know.

I also don't know why in the hell one coach would leave Tampa to be an assistant in Detroit.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Assistant coach shopping. :cool:

That take from MBH doesn’t rate Mean Girls.

If you don’t understand why getting two highly regarded assistant coaches off of the two time in a row with a third trip to the finals and giving one of them a shot in a bigger role… oh and the two guys are not just “oh these are hot names” but literally were a part of the staff when Yzerman set up that Tampa terror.

If you’re not going NHL retread, this is quite literally the best case scenario to land the both of them

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Doug Lewis and Barry Smith were highly regarded assistants to Scotty Bowman and Lewis took over, with Smith as an assistant, and couldn't get the team out of Round 1.

Being assistant for a good team is nice.

But do you have any actual insights you can share?

Or is this just a faith-based belief that since Yzerman helped build Tampa, and since Tampa won, and since both guys were assistants in Tampa, this is just destined to work?

It's possible one or both could be great fits.

But it truly don't know.

I also don't know why in the hell one coach would leave Tampa to be an assistant in Detroit.

Lewis and Smith were assistants in Detroit on that “we’re literally going into the Hall in like three years when we decide to stop playing” Wings roster. They flopped because that team needed Bowman the jackass to hold them on point while Lewis just let them do what they wanted because they didn’t respect him near as much.

So that example means jack squat.

The belief is that Yzerman did work with and know what these guys are all about. Tampa has clearly played lunch pail, grind it out hockey even though they are Uber talented. That’s what Yzerman has preached from day one and it’s why guys like Mantha and AA got sent packing to other places

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Is it even possible to get both?

I thought teams were only able to interview other team's AC's when they were being considered for a PROMOTION to a HC job. Since we can't offer the HC job to both guys, I don't think we are able to hire both since one would be a lateral move, which isn't allowed. I think TB would have to terminate the second AC's contract in order for Detroit to be able to sign them as an AC in Detroit and I'm not sure why TB would want to do that.

Cooper isn't leaving TB, so their coaching staff isn't being let go/fired, so I don't see how we can get both guys unless TB agrees to lose both guys. Why would they do that.

Reactions: David D

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Is it even possible to get both?

I thought teams were only able to interview other team's AC's when they were being considered for a PROMOTION to a HC job. Since we can't offer the HC job to both guys, I don't think we are able to hire both since one would be a lateral move, which isn't allowed. I think TB would have to terminate the second AC's contract in order for Detroit to be able to sign them as an AC in Detroit and I'm not sure why TB would want to do that.

Cooper isn't leaving TB, so their coaching staff isn't being let go/fired, so I don't see how we can get both guys unless TB agrees to lose both guys. Why would they do that.
Depends if their contracts did end for this season.

If they are still contracted for 2022-23, then you can sign a guy only for promotion position.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing

Almost like my prediction.
Prediction:
Derek Lalonde - Head coach
Benoit Groulx - Asst. coach, forwards & PP
Alex Tanguay - Asst. coach, developmental coach
David Carle - Asst. coach, defensemen & PK
Joe Palmer or Kurtis Mucha - Goalie coach
L.J. Scarpace - Video coach
Jeff Weintraub - Video coach

This is based on rumours that i've seen. One rumour said that Groulx is heading to NHL next year, but not necessarily to head coach. Second rumour was that Yzerman has interviewed young coaches, Lalonde and Carle have a connection. Both of them were assistant coaches in Denver 2008-2011 and Carle was Lalonde's assistant in Green Bay 2012-2014.

Lalonde doesn't have many connection's to many goalie coaches except Frantz Jean and Frederic Chabot, but im quite sure they stay were they are now. So the new goalie coach must fall under the "young coaches-category", Syracuse's 34-year old goalie coach Joe Palmer and since we want Cossa be our starter for a decade. Edmonton Oil Kings 33-year old goalie coach Kurtis Mucha.

And as a extra prediction, after Red Wings has hired Lalonde. Tampa Bay hires Blashill to replace Lalonde.
Let's do a little editing then.

DET:
Lalonde - Head coach
Halpern - Asst. coach
Tanguay - Asst. coach
Carle - Asst. coach

TBL:
Cooper - Head coach
Blashill - Asst. coach
Groulx - Asst. coach
Zettler - Asst. coach

Reactions: Henkka