Speculation: Next Head Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Probably someone outside of the top-5 most popular names mentioned in this thread/on this forum.

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
Hell would freeze over before this happened, but Fedorov did win the Gargarin Cup today.

I think Derek Lalonde or Lane Lambert will end up with the job though.

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
Steve Yzerman Lane Lambert

Attachments

• Steve Yzerman Lane Lambert.jpg
    Steve Yzerman Lane Lambert.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 22

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Is Lambert too system oriented? It would be the only question. You don’t like to see coaches shoving squares into circles. A lot of long time assistants do this after getting their shot.

He’s the name you hear the most but others they should look at include, Tony Granato, who’s done well with young players at Wisconsin, Rick Tocchet and Edmonton Oil Kings Head Coach Brad Lauer, who was an assistant in Tampa before heading to Edmonton and doing a great job as a Head Coach.

Reactions: wings95

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
As long as its not that idiot overhyped paul maurice. Im good with whomever Stevie chooses.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I'm going to add to the debate and ask why Yzerman would give Blashill a 2 year extension just to fire him a year into for doing exactly what was expected?

Yzerman is a guy that sees things 5 steps ahead and I'm 100% sure Blashill is doing exactly what Yzerman knew he would do. So why would Yzerman give him a 2 year extension just to fire him?

Before people say Blashill isn't doing what was expected, remember I had to eat crow because I was literally the only one on this forum who had hopes Detroit would take a wildcard spot. Everyone laughed at me when I was vocal about it, and rightfully so.

All Blashill has done was what you expected. Except Seider and Raymond are likely Calder nominees. We had inconsistent goalie issues, Ned was overworked due to Greiss being so bad or injured. And I think after the 2nd half the season, Blashill was allowing the team to be more creative.

Unless the locker room is toxic, and if the players rally against playing for Blashill next season, then why would Yzerman fire Blashill. His job is to get us top 10 picks and help develop the kids. Zadina regressed, but Seider, Raymond, Ras, Vrana have been good. Bert and Larkin had career years. Pius Suter did as expected. Fabbri played as expected. Veleno was fine.

I know a coaching change would be fun. But realistically why would Yzerman give him 2 years only to fire him for doing what was expected? Yzerman isn't trying to ding the guys career. Firing him for having the season he had with what he had to work with would be troll move.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I'm going to add to the debate and ask why Yzerman would give Blashill a 2 year extension just to fire him a year into for doing exactly what was expected?

Yzerman is a guy that sees things 5 steps ahead and I'm 100% sure Blashill is doing exactly what Yzerman knew he would do. So why would Yzerman give him a 2 year extension just to fire him?

Before people say Blashill isn't doing what was expected, remember I had to eat crow because I was literally the only one on this forum who had hopes Detroit would take a wildcard spot. Everyone laughed at me when I was vocal about it, and rightfully so.

All Blashill has done was what you expected. Except Seider and Raymond are likely Calder nominees. We had inconsistent goalie issues, Ned was overworked due to Greiss being so bad or injured. And I think after the 2nd half the season, Blashill was allowing the team be more creative.

Unless the locker room is toxic, and if the players rally against playing for Blashill next season, then why would Yzerman fire Blashill. His job is to get us top 10 picks and help develop the kids. Zadina regressed, but Seider, Raymond, Ras, Vrana have been good. Bert and Larkin had career years. Pius Suter did as expected. Fabbri played as expected. Veleno was fine.

I know a coaching change would be fun. But realistically why would Yzerman give him 2 years only to fire him for doing what was expected? Yzerman isn't trying to ding the guys career. Firing him for having the season he had with what he had to work with would be troll move.
Could have been that Yzerman had someone in mind who wasn't available to coach and so he gave Blashill a one year deal with a 2nd year option (which was confirmed by the "not renewing" from the Wings) to act as a bridge until whoever Yzerman had in mind was ready. Or it was a final "show me" deal and he simply didn't show Yzerman enough to keep him.

Edit: Also...don't think that COVID (aka...revenue) factored in to Blashill staying on as Head Coach. He probably came a lot cheaper than a potential "name" coach and Illitch may have had a mandate to keep money tight.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Could have been that Yzerman had someone in mind who wasn't available to coach and so he gave Blashill a one year deal with a 2nd year option (which was confirmed by the "not renewing" from the Wings) to act as a bridge until whoever Yzerman had in mind was ready. Or it was a final "show me" deal and he simply didn't show Yzerman enough to keep him.

Edit: Also...don't think that COVID (aka...revenue) factored in to Blashill staying on as Head Coach. He probably came a lot cheaper than a potential "name" coach and Illitch may have had a mandate to keep money tight.

Okay I missed the update that Yzerman didn't renew the extension. So like my prediction of Wings making a wildcard spot, I was wrong again..... Man I suck!

I guess the OP should be updated to "confirmed, Blashill will not return". I missed the breaking news.

Reactions: golffuul
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad