Speculation: Next Head Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Man, that article really drives home what a small coaching world it is. The connections between Blashill and Lalonde are significant and they seem to be good friends. I didn't realize Lalonde replaced Blashill at Ferris State.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Lewis and Smith were assistants in Detroit on that “we’re literally going into the Hall in like three years when we decide to stop playing” Wings roster. They flopped because that team needed Bowman the jackass to hold them on point while Lewis just let them do what they wanted because they didn’t respect him near as much.

So that example means jack squat.

The belief is that Yzerman did work with and know what these guys are all about. Tampa has clearly played lunch pail, grind it out hockey even though they are Uber talented. That’s what Yzerman has preached from day one and it’s why guys like Mantha and AA got sent packing to other places

Whatever excuse you come up with, there are plenty of well-regarded assistants who flopped.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Whatever excuse you come up with, there are plenty of well-regarded assistants who flopped.
Well I guess that means we should never f***ing hire an assistant or try anything different.

Paul Maurice, come on down.

Mike Yeo? We got a spot for you!

And really? We both watched that Wings team run by Dave Lewis. He was a feckless loser when he got the lead role, because Scotty's hand was where the power lies and the team knew it.

Like it's common sense. So, you invalidate your point when that is your key counterargument. Lalonde and Halpern don't have familiarity with anyone but Yzerman here. Yzerman lived through the Bowman to Lewis hand off and has shown that he's not one to mince words or be caught by sentiment (at least so far).

There have been plenty of top 5 draft picks that flopped, but that doesn't stop literally every team in the league from wanting their team to land there. There have been so many ludicrous free agent signings that have flopped but every July 1, there are teams with tens of millions of dollars burning a hole in their pockets.

Reactions: SoupNazi

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Well I guess that means we should never f***ing hire an assistant or try anything different.

Paul Maurice, come on down.

Mike Yeo? We got a spot for you!

And really? We both watched that Wings team run by Dave Lewis. He was a feckless loser when he got the lead role, because Scotty's hand was where the power lies and the team knew it.

Like it's common sense. So, you invalidate your point when that is your key counterargument. Lalonde and Halpern don't have familiarity with anyone but Yzerman here. Yzerman lived through the Bowman to Lewis hand off and has shown that he's not one to mince words or be caught by sentiment (at least so far).

There have been plenty of top 5 draft picks that flopped, but that doesn't stop literally every team in the league from wanting their team to land there. There have been so many ludicrous free agent signings that have flopped but every July 1, there are teams with tens of millions of dollars burning a hole in their pockets.

LOL.
Be more dramatic.

What I'm saying is I'm pretty agnostic.
I have no good reason to believe Lalonde or Halpern are the answer.

If you've got more than the obvious - they were successful as assistants in Tampa and that Yzerman hired them there - I'd love for you to share it.

And besides - this stemmed from my comment about the Wings potentially getting both Halpern and Lalonde like it would be some major coupe.

There's no earthly reason I have to believe that either of those guys would be major coupes.
I'll take a wait and see attitude.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
LOL.
Be more dramatic.

If you've got more than the obvious - they were successful as assistants in Tampa and that Yzerman hired them there - I'd love for you to share it.

What more is there? They're really good assistants who's body of work is known extensively by our GM who, regardless of your opinion on his moves, has shown a propensity for results over sentiment or criticism.

We haven't seen what Lalonde or Halpern can do in the lead role or jointly without Cooper there. That is a true statement. But if you're not the slightest bit impressed by their body of work and think it might be a good move for us... you can kindly shut the hell up about any draft-eligible prospect ever. Because Lalonde and Halpern are hella more proven as coaching entities than a guy like Jake Sanderson is as an NHL prospect.

It would be a coup and people are excited by it because of the obvious. They were coaches on the staff of an Yzerman-run Tampa team who just got done with four consecutive seasons where they set a wins record (but got swept), won the Cup, won the Cup, and lost the Cup in 6 games while missing their true #1C.

Reactions: Hugh Mongusbig

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
LOL.
Be more dramatic.

And besides - this stemmed from my comment about the Wings potentially getting both Halpern and Lalonde like it would be some major coupe.

There's no earthly reason I have to believe that either of those guys would be major coupes.
I'll take a wait and see attitude.

There are no good reasons for anyone to believe that any of the coaches "are the answer". There's no way to have a definitive answer by catching a glimpse into the future. You seem to be suggesting that we know who is going to make the Wings into a winning team before they actually get awarded the job.

Wait and see is an awesome idea, maybe you should actually utilize it.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yeah but then who is going to tell people to stop being excited and optimistic?
Maybe if we offered an incentive, there would be more applicants.

1y48yj.jpg

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Winnipeg can’t seriously be considering Blashill to be their next head coach.

I know the NHL is nothing more than a perpetual retread coaching carousel, but this MUST be pure fiction.

Weekes has been one of the faster and more reliable news breakers in hockey lately so it's true. And why not? Blashill lost his way a bit in Detroit but it was his first nhl head coach gig and he wasn't given much to work with. He's certainly much better than Tocchet, I can tell you that. Blashill has paid he's dues and is deserving of another shot. Whether that's now or later remains to be seen but he'll get it.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Weekes has been one of the faster and more reliable news breakers in hockey lately so it's true. And why not? Blashill lost his way a bit in Detroit but it was his first nhl head coach gig and he wasn't given much to work with. He's certainly much better than Tocchet, I can tell you that. Blashill has paid he's dues and is deserving of another shot. Whether that's now or later remains to be seen but he'll get it.

"paid his dues" is such a weird way to say "was allowed to keep a head coaching job in the best league in the world for almost a decade in spite of doing a shitty job"

I hope he gets another coaching job somewhere soon, it'll be fun to watch him crash and burn

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Almost like my prediction.

Let's do a little editing then.

DET:
Lalonde - Head coach
Halpern - Asst. coach
Tanguay - Asst. coach
Carle - Asst. coach

TBL:
Cooper - Head coach
Blashill - Asst. coach
Groulx - Asst. coach
Zettler - Asst. coach

I'd take that but I think if you hire a first time nhl head coach like Lalonde you wanna support him with an experienced associate coach with maybe even head coach experience. The four you listed are all very smart hockey minds and talented coaches but they're also very young and lacking experience at nhl level. I think if Lalonde brings Halpern with him then Tanguay will get fired or get a different job. Detroit doesn't really need the both of them.

Reactions: SantosHalper

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
"paid his dues" is such a weird way to say "was allowed to keep a head coaching job in the best league in the world for almost a decade in spite of doing a shitty job"

I hope he gets another coaching job somewhere soon, it'll be fun to watch him crash and burn

How you could possibly have that much vitriol towards someone that you don't know and who did nothing to wrong you personally in any form is not only mind boggling, but extremely sad.

Just know that while you bitch about him being paid to carry out his dream of coaching in the NHL, he sleeps soundly not knowing the difference between you and a pimple on his ass.

Reactions: DoMakc

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

He paid his dues to get the Redwings job. And like I said already...I agree he lost his way in Detroit and I wasn't always a fan myself but if you're being honest, the rosters he had weren't exactly good enough for playoff runs.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I mean...if Winnipeg is going to trade Dubois and/or Wheeler...it's going to be a rough couple of years for Winnipeg. And Blashill has lots of experience with franchises approaching rebuild years.
He is a great tank commander if that is what Winnipeg is looking for…. Didn’t have a problem getting us to the very bottom.

The lottery balls just never cooperated with us.

Reactions: golffuul and Henkka

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Winnipeg can’t seriously be considering Blashill to be their next head coach.

I know the NHL is nothing more than a perpetual retread coaching carousel, but this MUST be pure fiction.

They're gunning for Bedard. It's about the only way they'll get a franchise talent with the wheels falling off of that team. Might as well sign the coach with the worst NHL record the last 7 years to get you there.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
They're gunning for Bedard. It's about the only way they'll get a franchise talent with the wheels falling off of that team. Might as well sign the coach with the worst NHL record the last 7 years to get you there.

They won't land Bedard if Hellebuyck is still there. A healthy Hellebuyck is gonna give you 60-70 mostly rock solid games and the rest of the team is nowhere near bad enough either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln